The thread that is now the unofficial PC builds thread :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, the CPU and GPU are the ones that do the processing and usually determine your FPS. Your CPU is a 2 core 2 thread at 2.40 GHz compared to a higher end processor of the same generation, the i7 3770k with 4 cores and 8 threads at 3.4GHz which still works decently well today. Your GPU isn't even a real graphics card, it's a custom design for prebuilt manufacturers only, approximately equivalent to a Radeon HD 4770, which is ancient and low end even on release.

i know **** of this stuff so here it goes

i want to change my motherboard because its from the last century (GA-M61PM-S2), alongside its 4gb ddr2 ram. (also im having lots of blue screens of death lately, mostly when playing Arma 3 -which i play with quite bad fps and stuttering on multiplayer, on singleplayer its smooth as it can be-. That old as hell ram is likely the problem yes?)

I have a amd phenom ii x4 945 3.0 ghz quad core.
and nvida ge force gtx 750 ti (both are working perfectly i think)

This motherboard works with both yes?

ASRock p/ AMD AM3+ mATX N68-GS4 FX R2.0 DDR3

And this ram works with it?

8gb corsair ram Ddr3 1600mhz Vengeance ( 1x8gb )

I have no intent of changing my cpu in the future (if i do well then i might as well buy a whole new pc) so this is the cheapest upgrade i can do i think.

If you're changing your mobo already, go Ryzen and get an AM4 mobo. You can get a 1200 for 110 USD and it'll be way better than your Phenom (And you can over clock it to 3.8ghz on the stock cooler). I just updated from a Phenom II x6 1045t, and the Ryzen is a thousand times better, especially in ArmA. Also means buying DDR4 ram but you're planning on getting new ram anyway.

Problem is brazil prices, i looked and that ryzen is 500 reais. Which is basically what i would use on that motherboard + ram together. Hence why i think its best if i buy an am3 motherboard now and keep the cpu.

So I'm looking to at some point to replace with this,  : https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/CQTW3b
my current setup which looks like this.  : http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ySksd5g67yDJ5nMxsetehWr

My ****box was bad when I got it and I knew that but needed a pc.

My main questions relate to whether
1: I have an adequate system lined up to play games like Arma 3 with stability on meh graphics settings and decent fps. I've actually tried playing Arma 3 on this, and it's not something I want to try doing again. I know the parts in the new build would do wonders in comparison.

2: I have adequate case space for my parts, not being in possession of the case.
3: I have adequate cooling.

4: Are there any big cost savings I'm missing, and or huge parts mistakes? I do want Intel cpu and GeForce graphics card, but have I picked the optimum for price-performance and is it really necessary for me to get a 1060 vs the 1050ti? Do I need more GHz cpu speed? Would it benefit me so very significantly to spend another hundred dollars when I plan on playing medium-low graphics, nothing fancy.

I'm not quite up-to-date with pc components, but some thoughts anyway:

- Isn't Arma very badly optimised, and relies on few cores with high clock and IPC? In that case, Intel is the better choice, yes. Search for a few Arma benchmarks (or CPU benchmarks that feature Arma) and see which CPU gives the best minimum FPS, how fast it clocks and how many cores it has. Compare it to the one you chose. If you plan on exclusively playing Arma, maybe even an overclocked Intel i3 might be a good choice for you. If you wanna stay flexible, consider a Ryzen or an Intel i7.

- If Arma is still CPU-bottlenecked, the GPU doesn't matter so much.

- The CPU you chose is overclockable ('k' suffix), but your motherboard won't allow overclocking while your cooler probably wouldn't be strong enough for an overclocked i5. If you plan to oc, you need to get a 'Z' chipset board and a stronger cooler. If you don't want to oc, you may choose a cheaper CPU without the 'k' suffix.

- Please spend a bit time researching on PSUs. Roughly a tenth of your budget should be spent for that. Look for ones that have indy regulation. Don't bother with modularity, if you don't oversize your PSU, you will use most of your cables, anyway. Speaking of, for your components (and for most mid-to-high-tier builds), 450W would be more than enough, if you have a quality PSU. 550W is not horribly oversized, though.

- Consider getting a 256GB or bigger SSD.

*Looks at PCPartPicker* Is it me or are the mid-range GPUs really expensive? I mean, that 1050 Ti's not too pricey compared to others, but the 1060s or 1070s...  Wow.

I imagine Hyper 212 EVO will do you fine unless you're overclocking. I've got one myself. It does a very nice job, though I don't overclock.

A couple things to consider: Do you need a Wi-Fi adapter for hooking up to Wi-Fi? And if you're in this far, do you want to grab a new monitor, too, if you've still got a bit of budget left over?

Canada is also expensive it seems, but yes, the cryptocurrency still ****s GPU prices for anything beyond GTX1050/RX560

I used that cooler for my slighty overclocked Phenom II 965, unless you are really pushing it, should be enough. You'd probably need higher frequenzy RAM for OC anyway.

Arvenski said:
*Looks at PCPartPicker* Is it me or are the mid-range GPUs really expensive? I mean, that 1050 Ti's not too pricey compared to others, but the 1060s or 1070s...  Wow.

I bought my 1070 in December, 2016, when they were relatively new. It's now worth 3 times what I paid for it.  :shock:

These tips have helped quite a bit. Build looks like this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Rallix/saved/wXp6XL
I downgraded the cpu, but not gonna be overclocking and it’s far better than what I have. So I get lower tdp and price.

Upgraded PSU to a cheap gold cert with good reviews.

I will need that wifi capability, didn’t pick that for no reason.

I might consider buying a ssd, but it’s not that important to me. I’m not really worried about cold startup times and load times, more concerned with performance of the loaded games.

I’ve got a beat up monitor I wanna replace but it’s last on priority list.

Only questions I’m left with are whether my case fan is good enough and whether my case is the right choice. I’m willing to spend a few dollars more for a quiet system.

Instead of going for a lower than highest-end Intel, I'd recommend going for a new Ryzen 2000 series of your choice. Intel marginally beats AMD at the highest of the high end of the desktop market, but Ryzen completely dominates everywhere else. You also save on the CPU cooler because they all come with a competent stock cooler, get a higher quality motherboard (the lower end ones aren't released yet), and the option to upgrade to future Ryzen releases if you choose. They're all overclockable, as well, so you do not have to spend $30 to have a "K" on your CPU name.

For example, https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zTKXbX

To be honest, though, the 1050 Ti is going to hold you back no matter what you pick. You could very easily go with a low end Ryzen 2000 series now, and keep the option to upgrade in the future if the GPU market ever gets sane again.

Okay, on a completely unrelated note, I have a question: My dad recently got a new prebuilt Dell desktop for work, and I've been helping to set it up. It's got an i3-7100 CPU @ 3.9GHz, 8GB of RAM, and Windows 10 x64. It doesn't have the latest version of Windows 10, though, because version 1709 fails to install time and again (it did that on my laptop, too; I just need to fuss with it). The problem is that it seems to struggle with connecting and maintaining a connection to the internet. I mean, our Wi-Fi could have something to do with it, but my gaming rig sits right next to this new PC, and it doesn't have problems like this. When browsing the internet on this new PC (with Chrome), it can be normal for a few minutes, and then lose connection. In the "Connect to a network" box it'll list the network name and say "Connected, no internet". If I try to connect to our other network, that won't work, either. IIRC it'll either connect to the network but get no internet, or one time when I tried to switch networks it just sat there forever trying to connect ("Connecting...") but getting nowhere. But then, after I restarted the PC, it connected and got internet with no problems. Even when you have internet, sometimes it'll go from normal speed to strangely slow. For instance, it was hella slow just logging into Gmail a few minutes ago.

The only thing I've thought of so far is to get a wireless adapter and plug that into it, in case its own wireless adapter is broken or ****, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

That it deserves its own thread  :razz: In my experience, when troubleshooting networks there are just so many possibilites.

I had a laptop that would reset the router every few minutes if connected either by wire or wireless.
A certain game would only receive packets but couldn't send. Had to install a network card (this was early 2000)
My current computer, connected via power-line, sometimes get disconnected from the router, but only if the network doesn't have activity for a long time (never happens while gaming)
Having 2 WiFi signals (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) and a phone switching from one to another too often because signal is too weak at certain moment (solution, set phone to only 1 frequenzy)

Anyway, if you have an android, I recommend to install Wifi Analyzer and check channels being used and signal strenght. Maybe your desktop just has a better receiver.

That's just it, it seems odd that the network would be at fault if the internet performance on my PC is fine while on dad's PC it's ****e.

I'll look into WiFi Analyzer, though. Thanks.

So, the discussion in the Windows 10 thread got me thinking about my rig, and I was wondering if maybe it was time to give it a couple of upgrades:

My specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5Ghz
Mobo: ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2600 Z97M-Plus
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm

The most demanding games I play are The Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1. The Witcher runs fine at very high settings (I can't remember the settings exactly), and I'd run with even higher settings if it wasn't for the fact that it would struggle in Novigrad if I did that. Battlefield 1 does okay on very high/ultra, but loading maps takes a while, and sometimes in the first couple minutes of a round there will be this strange stuttering which hopefully goes away after a couple of minutes. The UI has a tendency to get freeze-y, too. Not sure if it's my settings or just a buggy game. Anyway, getting back on track, I didn't know about putting some more RAM on there, if that would help performance. Maybe an SSD, too, to help with load times, and since that 1TB HDD's getting full.

Also, how much longer do you think I can go before it's time for some major upgrades? I don't play that many big, demanding AAA games; a lot of what I play are games like Rome 2, Warframe, War Thunder, and Skyrim, none of which are a challenge for my rig. However, when I do buy a high-end game now and then I want my PC to handle it, and I know a lot of new tech has come out since I built this rig, and there's always more on the way.

Back
Top Bottom