The Original L'Aigle Thread, for the sake of history. Be ye warned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sir_Newton said:
I do believe I'm not the only one who hopes Docm30 doesn't just stop after L'Aigle...so much more he could do! like one of the Roman Empire, his brilliant formations and such would fit seamlessly into a Roman-themed mod, methinks.

Or a 17th century overhaul? Just like this? :razz:

By the way, Docm30, have you made all this by yourself?

YourStepDad said:
Sir_Newton said:
I do believe I'm not the only one who hopes Docm30 doesn't just stop after L'Aigle...so much more he could do! like one of the Roman Empire, his brilliant formations and such would fit seamlessly into a Roman-themed mod, methinks.

Or a 17th century overhaul? Just like this? :razz:

By the way, Docm30, have you made all this by yourself?

Yes. Apart from a bearskin hat, but I think he remade that too XD. And Wolfstar is doing mp.

thecalaquendi said:
I see you modelled the 95th rifle's pants from those portrayed in the "Sharpe" books and TV series! Those pants were however particular to Sharpe himself as he had looted them from a French cavalry colonel.  The officers of the 95th were actually supposed to wear "dark green pantaloons with a row of black twist down the seams, black linen gaiters with black buttons and small stiff tops, black garters and uniform buckles with Half Boots." (source: http://sharpecompendium.net/uniforms.html)

Either way, everything looks astounding and will make for a great experience!

I didn't base anything on Sharpe (except Ducos and Sharpe himself, but that's obvious). Those riding trousers are copied those this 1808 portrait of Captain John Kent, done from life by another officer to send back to Kent's family.

In both of the ingame screenshots on the first post that show 95th officers, both have them in the regulation leggings.

Dawiduh said:
I get a feeling Docm30 does this for a living and L'Aigle is just a hobby. You don't just buy 3DsMax (3675$) if you're not using it for real work also.  :grin:

Uh huh. Bear in mind there are also ways to get it a lot cheaper, like second hand copies (which Autodesk sells) or if you're a student.

ClearlyInvisible said:
Still can't believe he didn't know how to model before L'Aigle O.O

I've been doing it since 2003, actually. Even longer if you're talking about fashion modelling.

ThefightingLegion said:
Hey Docm30 how much is the stuff required to make such a grand mod?

Due to the complexities of the English language, 'stuff' in this case can mean virtually anything. You'll have to be more specific.

Docm30 said:
thecalaquendi said:
I see you modelled the 95th rifle's pants from those portrayed in the "Sharpe" books and TV series! Those pants were however particular to Sharpe himself as he had looted them from a French cavalry colonel.  The officers of the 95th were actually supposed to wear "dark green pantaloons with a row of black twist down the seams, black linen gaiters with black buttons and small stiff tops, black garters and uniform buckles with Half Boots." (source: http://sharpecompendium.net/uniforms.html)

Either way, everything looks astounding and will make for a great experience!

I didn't base anything on Sharpe (except Ducos and Sharpe himself, but that's obvious). Those riding trousers are copied those this 1808 portrait of Captain John Kent, done from life by another officer to send back to Kent's family.

In both of the ingame screenshots on the first post that show 95th officers, both have them in the regulation leggings.

So they do, I stand corrected! Thanks for the uncannily impressive work. :smile:

Second hand software... never though about it, but you're right. Will be looking into that when I'll start my own practice or something.

Only one more off-topic comment: since you're modelling and texturing this in 3DsMax, how on earth are you rendering to texture WITHOUT THE DAMN SHADOWS? And also how you keep the UVW unwrapping from screwing up the UVW mapping? I haven't been able to find a tutorial online :sad: and I've been patching stuff up in PS which leads to some annoying texture fit problems. If you have time to answer this, please send me a PM not to drag this thread more into off-topic-ness.

Docm30 said:
I did a little underwear modelling back in the 70's, but who didn't?
The 70's?
So, assuming you were atleast eighteen when you did said underwear modelling, and going on the generalisation of 'the 70's', that would put you as being 52 years old, at the least!

Docm30 said:
Dawiduh said:
I get a feeling Docm30 does this for a living and L'Aigle is just a hobby. You don't just buy 3DsMax (3675$) if you're not using it for real work also.  :grin:
Uh huh. Bear in mind there are also ways to get it a lot cheaper, like second hand copies (which Autodesk sells) or if you're a student.

I wondered a while back if you did modelling professionally. After seeing your buildings I wouldn't be surprised if you did conceptual stuff for architects or something.

Jarvisimo said:
Docm30 said:
I did a little underwear modelling back in the 70's, but who didn't?
The 70's?
So, assuming you were atleast eighteen when you did said underwear modelling, and going on the generalisation of 'the 70's', that would put you as being 52 years old, at the least!

I'm hoping you were running with the joke rather than taking that seriously.

He could've modeled other things besides clothing before l'Aigle.

He said the heraldry system from Native was rendered useless by the way flags are handled now. I wonder, will generals and the player once ennobled have banners to choose from? Not regimental banners, but personal heraldry? I could personally do without it, but I'm sure others would like the full aristocratic experience.

Bluehawk said:
He could've modeled other things besides clothing before l'Aigle.

He said the heraldry system from Native was rendered useless by the way flags are handled now. I wonder, will generals and the player once ennobled have banners to choose from? Not regimental banners, but personal heraldry? I could personally do without it, but I'm sure others would like the full aristocratic experience.

Well not all of the Generals were from noble lineage. I think I'd like it to be like ToTSK where all the nobles of the same nation have the same banner.

That's fine for countries where the state and war flag are the same, and countries that even have a state or war flag, but not all do. I'd rather not see generals with naval ensigns nor the royal standard, in those cases.

What about "naval vassals", admirals? Their army would be composed of Naval forces, patrolling in the sea and would have tactical advantage when in Sea than others lords in ground. They can have different flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom