The Official Art thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks! No, in a similar style to them though, you got that right.
You mean my avatar? That's no bearskin, it's a fabulously shaped afro!

What's with the headache-inducing chromatic aberration? It's like trying to make your eyes focus on something but it never coming into focus. They look fine, but tone the filter down to a more tasteful level that doesn't detract from the details in each uniform. These are sketches, they don't need it.

I zoomed in and it looks like you've used ~100% chromatic abberation. Sweet Mary.

nSuWk.png

Cruor, if you're going to use chromatic aberration, do it with an opacity of around 10 to 20% tops.

@jacob:

Though yes, line drawings without shading aren't exactly the best place to use them, saying chromatic aberration is bizarre artistic fad is flat out wrong.

Same thing with bloom, lens flare, DoF - all very handy things if used correctly.

The problem with those effects is that people think it's a magic trick that's going to turn a turd into a princess and overuse them to compensate the lack of quality.

SacredStoneHead said:
Same thing with bloom, lens flare, DoF - all very handy things if used correctly.

In realtime rendering I can definitely see why you'd use chromatic aberration and DoF, but in 2D art I think there are far more effective ways of doing what these effects are trying to achieve. For example adding bloom as a filter instead of doing it yourself is going to treat white cloth with the same light intensity as the surface of the sun.

My main beef with CA is that it has a tendency to mess up the colour theme of a digital painting and make everything look flat. Even when it's used perfectly ideally in 2D Art it's still no better than if it weren't there.

As I said, it's a tool, you don't need to use it on everything and most of the time people who use it right don't need that extra effect for their work to look good.

It all comes down to the looks you want to achieve, and yes I think it has its uses outside games and moving stuff.

Mind you that generally it's very subtle. Those use CA:

vadim-marchenkov-char4.jpg
alexandr-malex-alexandr-malex-risen-night-2-2.jpg

jacobhinds said:
borrowed from realtime rendering

Borrowed from the laws of physics.

Chromatic aberration occurs in optics (even in our eyes) so it's useful if someone wants their art to more accurately emulate looking at the image through a photographic lens. Like StoneHead said, they are just tools to be used under certain conditions. There's nothing bad about using it because it happens in real life, just like bloom. I guess the problem is people use it all the bloody time. A good artist knows when to stop. Subtlety is key.

I will say, bloom does look wonderful when done manually. It's a fundemental pillar of dat painting theory.

Back
Top Bottom