The Official Art thread

Users who are viewing this thread

11028620_661923280601578_1325217820_o.jpg
The effect of today's work. Fixed up his proportions. Yes, I have a vague idea of what Im going to draw on the left

I bought a sketchbook yesterday and have started my first drawings. First thing I'm doing is studying faces. First thing of that is working on eyes.

https://tw.greywool.com/i/S0Icm.jpg

Starting with the most complicated part of the human body is a bad idea.
You should start with the basics: composition, perspective, simple geometrical shapes and how they interact.
I suggest focusing on landscapes and very loose gesture drawings of human body as a whole for now.
Do you have any books?

Pretty cool.
You need to work on anatomy though.
And where are his space spurs?
And one more thing, if you make the tail longer and let it overlap with the cape, together they will create a good sense of volume.

Cruor_Volt said:
You need to work on anatomy though:
And where are his space spurs?
And one more thing, if you make the tail longer and let it overlap with the cape, together they will create a good sense of volume.
Yeah the leg is off.  I kinda let that part of this body slip.

I keep getting into the bad habit of drawing the picture before I draw the 'actual size' skeleton, as opposed to whipping up a chicken scratch skeleton and pushing forward.  I must've spent 30 minutes re-adjusting his arms and head after I was about an hour into the drawing.

As far as the tail, I did it before I did the cape, so I was in no mood to redo that once it was done.  I believe in the original rough the tail was indeed overlapping the entire 'swoop' of the cape.

Thanks for the critique! 

You're welcome.

To make yourself more familliar with the pose you're going to draw it is common practice in academic drawing to make a few sketches first from simpler angles: front, sides and back. Then proceed to making a couple of drafts to get the feel of it by simplifying the piece to volumes\colours\values.
I suggest you try this next time and see the difference for yourself.

An example of what I mean by this:

IMG_10032015_014307.png

I read once that the first thumbnail sketch should never be used.  Whereas I usually go with the first one. 

I'll try the drawing different angles technique today.  After your comments and seeing my leg work, I'll be drawing skeletons all day.  Back to basics.  :fruity:

A dildo?

Thundersnow said:
I read once that the first thumbnail sketch should never be used.  Whereas I usually go with the first one. 

I'll try the drawing different angles technique today.  After your comments and seeing my leg work, I'll be drawing skeletons all day.  Back to basics.  :fruity:

If the first one is good, it's good.
It's not about skeletons mostly, that's just the basis, the goal is to understand how to create volume using lines that overlap and create shapes that have 3d meaning on a flat surface. This is where muscles, landmarks and fat pockets come in.

Thundersnow said:
Just spit this one out today.  Working on that thick-brush inking style.

charge.png

You art remembers me a lot of  Don-Rosas style
(who is btw my favourite comic-drawer  :grin:):

tgdd174.jpg

Back
Top Bottom