SP Fantasy The Lord of the Rings mod 1.011[RECRUITING]JOIN PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Therefore, if you've based your work (map or whatever else) on their (or someone else's) files, then send them a very kind message asking for their permission to use their work and hope that they haven't noticed you've already used it anyway. And, of course, if they give you permission, don't forget to mention it in the mod's credits.

Oh dear.  I think my IQ dropped just reading this.  How can someone not understand?

Anyway, I've read this whole thread (the last couple of pages out of morbid curiosity), and noticed the reference to the Star Wars mods.  Not sure, but I don't think that that's a very good example of different mods using the exact same material, seeing as how both Star Wars Calradia and Star Wars Conquest are one and the same mod, made by Hokie and his team.

Sorry, but it's the little things like that that really annoy me.

Kvedulf

EDIT;  nearly forgot.  Good luck to ThaneWulfgharn.  If you can make this mod, with what you want in it, and use ORIGINAL work, it will be a very good mod.

WookieWarlord said:
ThaneWulfgharn said:
I understand credits but permission...
You can't just steal a can of baked beans from the supermarket, eat it, and write them a letter saying thanks for the baked beans  :lol:

well put!  :lol:

shalictar said:
WookieWarlord said:
ThaneWulfgharn said:
I understand credits but permission...
You can't just steal a can of baked beans from the supermarket, eat it, and write them a letter saying thanks for the baked beans  :lol:

well put!  :lol:
I thought so, It just popped into my head and I thought it might be an appropriate analogy. (and then I wondered if people would even know what baked beans were, or if they were native to New Zealand  :neutral: )

Well, it would rather be "steal a can of beans, change the sticker to Wulfgharn's Awesome Beans and sell them to people outside the supermarket." I think.

:lol: Wulfgarns awesome beans... You can't go around taking stuff from other peoples work without having them say you can because that is stealing. Simple enough for you?

Ok, listen up bean boy.  You have to ask, period.  End of discussion.
Can they take him to court, if he doesn't?  Because LotR is copyrighted anyway.

NikeBG said:
No matter whether you change an original model/map/other piece of work, it is technically using it. And if you publish it without getting permission, then it is technically stealing another modder's work, which you have used as a basis for your own changes. If you want to not steal another modder's work, you have to start from scratch (or, obviously, receive permission to use the modder's work and change it). It's quite stupid to think that if you take f.e. the model and textures of the above-said sword of Aragorn from, let's say, Ak Ela, do some minor or bigger changes to it and then publish the mod with it without having received permission from the Ak Ela team to use that sword (be it as they've made it or just as a basis for your changes), it wouldn't be stealing. Because it would. I can tell you that in many cases when a modder gives his work to another mod, his work is changed (f.e. in BGTW we've given our Bulgar unit-roster to many mods, but many of them have added some changes to fit their style better, sometimes even at our own requests), but you still need permission from that modder, since you're using his work as your basis. Now, in the case of Anduril, if you make the models and textures from scratch, all on your own, then you're obviously perfectly fine with using it and giving permissions to others to use and/or change it.
This also comes to explain your misconception between inspiration and stealing - when making the maps, scene props, equipments and all other kinds of things, based on some already existing book or movie (like Tolkien's works or the Star Wars examples you mentioned), then you obviously have to draw inspiration from them, since you'd have to make it as close to the original as you can. However, you still have to make it from scratch. If, let's say that you manage to hack into Peter Jackson's or George Lucas' computers, find there some files which contain the afore mentioned maps, scene props, equipments etc., take them and use them in your work, without having the permission of PJ or GL (or whoever made those respective things), then it's stealing, because you're not just inspired, but you're actually using someone else's work without permission.

I, of course, agree with that... Like you read on my reply, you can accuse us for stealing if we publish in the mod items, textures, characters etc from Ak Ela mod. But as I said, if we borrow the general map from Ak Ela, then we aren't stealing. If we leave it exactly the same (something we don't intent to do), then we are thiefts.

As for the weapons, ThaneWulfgarndidn't mean that he will make them exactly as they are in other mods, neither he will publish them the same... We will just use them (for inspiration you can say) in order to make our own weapons. Of course we never intended to steal other moders' work... What you don't want to do to you, you don't do to them...

Merlkir said:
Well, it would rather be "steal a can of beans, change the sticker to Wulfgharn's Awesome Beans and sell them to people outside the supermarket." I think.

:lol:

Dark Death said:
I, of course, agree with that... Like you read on my reply, you can accuse us for stealing if we publish in the mod items, textures, characters etc from Ak Ela mod. But as I said, if we borrow the general map from Ak Ela, then we aren't stealing. If we leave it exactly the same (something we don't intent to do), then we are thiefts.

As for the weapons, ThaneWulfgarndidn't mean that he will make them exactly as they are in other mods, neither he will publish them the same... We will just use them (for inspiration you can say) in order to make our own weapons. Of course we never intended to steal other moders' work... What you don't want to do to you, you don't do to them...

What does "we'll just use them" mean?!! You're being very unclear and irritating. I'll repeat it for you once more in hope that your thick skull will let it through to the brain:

No matter what you do to them, if you change them, adjust, retexture, whatever! If you take models you didn't make and use them in a modified state, you're stealing them the same way if you published them unchanged. Ask for ****ing permission and stop this ridiculous dance of ignorance!

If beans don't work for you, how about this analogy?

Let's say you steal a brand new Apple iPod. You paint it green and start selling it as gPod. Apple will sue your pants off.

Do you get it? It doesn't matter if you change the models or not, you're still using them and you can't do that without permission!!

Why is everyone seeing just what he thinks he sees?

Try to understand what we are trying to do and stop accusing everyone for stealing just because you think he does...
What we are trying to make you understand is that we are not copying someones uniqe work, something he made himself alone, he worked on it, built it out of his fantasy and created it for first time. We are not copying or stealing, neither the models, the textures, the items, the weapons, the cities, the characters etc. The whole argument started beacuse we just wanted to use some already built models, that cannot be changed because they are uniqe. They ae Tolkiens' inspiration and cannot be changed! Like the map... What did I say? That I will borrow the terrain.

In Ak Ela mod, there are some things on the map that I was not thiking to add from the start. Fangorn forest is city, Mordor has a city in it, at the North there ar castles etc. A lot of these things I was never about to have in this mods' map. I just wanted the general map: the mountains, the forests and the seas. Cities, castles, villages, bandits spawn points, factions realetions, characters, weapons, horses, kings, claimaints and all this staff, would be ThaneWulfgharns' and mine creations.

Where is the problem in that?
Is this stealing?

I'll repeat it for you once more in hope that your thick skull will let it through to the brain
[/quote]

I think I was not rude to you, and I hope you stop being too.

Dark Death said:
The whole argument started beacuse we just wanted to use some already built models, that cannot be changed because they are uniqe. They ae Tolkiens' inspiration and cannot be changed!

Is this stealing?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, you ARE thick. The fact that someone made a model of an object you want doesn't mean you have to steal it. You can...hmmm...let me think for a moment - use that grey stuff in my head.
YES, you could just...MAKE IT YOURSELF!

We're not telling you to change the design, obviously, if you want to use movie designs, nobody is stopping you. But why rip them from Ak Ela?! Why not make them yourself? That would be too hard, right?

I'm not sure you get the analogies, but I'll try again:

You're an aspiring car mechanic and you see a beautiful car. You want one just like it. What do you obviously do? Do you steal it, because there already is one and you just want it?
Or do you maybe make another one that looks the same, but one that you made yourself?

And buddy, you're so annyoing I won't bother being nice.

I will settle this. 
If you didn't make it yourself You can't use it!!!

Period.
No discussion.
I see it only fit that someone alert Balimir, or someone else from the Aka Ela team.

Haha, this is priceless.

Here's a good guideline: if you import anything via copying files or running them through some sort of software you're doing it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom