The Last Of Us (HBO series)

Users who are viewing this thread

Piconi

Fashionista
Community Manager
I really enjoyed the story in the games, the character writing, the emotional roller coaster and the depiction of the world.
The whole vibe of this trailer and casting (especially Joel and Ellie themselves from the games, cast as different characters though) sets up to meet expectations, but these days we know better than to get overhyped i think.

What do YOU think?

Last edited:
The first game, at the very least, is certainly not overhyped. You don't like it. Big difference.

As for the show: I have a little bit of hope it'll be good since the game writer is writing it himself, but as with all HBO adaptations, I'll be careful.

I can definitely (successfully) make the argument that it was overhyped, and I can explain why I think it was trash - there's obviously a degree of subjectivity there but my concerns about it and its use of the medium are valid. I won't, because our conversation regarding the Rings of Power has proven not only that you're incapable of having an adult conversation regarding criticism but also that you have awful taste.

The first game was, in my opinion, more an amazing interactive journey, than a game, and as such i'm very fond of it, as it was very well written and so, there is nothing to dislike there IMO.

I know nothing about the Part II, haven't seen the gameplay, haven't heard or read a single comment of anyone who played it, so i won't say anything about it, other than i can expect that it was overhyped because of the first game's success.

Series (or movie) based on a game is a whole other vibe, and i have yet to watch a successfully transfered vibe from a game over to the little screens, which is why i am careful about what to expect.

On second consideration I think the first game's story probably would work better as a TV series than as a video game since its interactive elements undermine its narrative frequently. One of the few, few things I liked about the second game was its attempt to tackle that dissonance (which it did in a typically poorly-written, horribly-plotted and awfully-executed way). Strip the game away, though, and you're left with a painfully generic post-apocalyptic zombie story, which has been done to death in the modern media landscape. Thus I think the series won't be anything to write home about regardless.

I haven't played the game, but the trailer looks like generic post-apocalyptic wasteland survival.
If it wasn't based on a popular game I would have paid it no mind.
(Gives me bad memories of the Y: The Last Man adaptation that was a disaster).

The first game was, in my opinion, more an amazing interactive journey, than a game, and as such i'm very fond of it, as it was very well written and so, there is nothing to dislike there IMO.

I know nothing about the Part II, haven't seen the gameplay, haven't heard or read a single comment of anyone who played it, so i won't say anything about it, other than i can expect that it was overhyped because of the first game's success.

Series (or movie) based on a game is a whole other vibe, and i have yet to watch a successfully transfered vibe from a game over to the little screens, which is why i am careful about what to expect.

I feel the same about it. It was more like the Telltale games, so more of an interactive journey than game. For the story and the characters alone, it was amazing in my opinion. I don't know about the second one, either. I haven't played it and probably won't. lol

And it seems difficult for video game adaptations to hit screens right. I can't think of many that succeeded. I think maybe Arcane is the only one to do it well and maybe Mortal Kombat, unless we discuss the strange success of the Sonic movies? lol Otherwise, I don't know of any others myself either.

I can definitely (successfully) make the argument that it was overhyped, and I can explain why I think it was trash - there's obviously a degree of subjectivity there but my concerns about it and its use of the medium are valid. I won't, because our conversation regarding the Rings of Power has proven not only that you're incapable of having an adult conversation regarding criticism but also that you have awful taste.

Whatever you say.

I don't care much for the girl they got to play Ellie, can't really see emotion on her face, but overall I really enjoyed. Some of the changes I was iffy about, but after thinking about it, it works. I especially loved the addition at the very start of the show.

Hopefully it maintains a good quality going forward. It having the game creator as lead for the show is a good sign, I think.

3rd. episode was sort of boring, taking a long time to show the aftermath of the pandemic,
and focussing 2 people who die.
4th. episode was also drawn out with little happening. We mostly see the two protagonists bonding.

I'm not fond
of the addition of the new "villains" in the last episode, because they were immediately concluded within the episode. What was the point of the new storyline for Henry and including these people? Why the hell did I need to know ANY of that? lol

Of course, as a standalone show, it's still enjoyable so far, but I really hope they stop with the pointless inclusions/changes that serve no purpose other than taking away time from Joel and Ellie, and the now. It'd be different if we were seeing more of the pandemic fall days, like from the doctors' again. At least that's interesting...

I agree and now realise it's an odyssey story. A lot of minor stories and challenges to overcome to get "home" (except I suppose they both survive).
Would be nice with more continuity and meaningful events, instead of just "phew, we survived that".
They are taking a long time to tell what is ultimately a simple story. Narratively I don't think it works. But everything else is really well made.

Episode 7. It's getting really boring. A predictable flashback episode (why do all shows need to have those?) with events already alluded to.
And Ellie is supposed to be 14 years old, so I just witnessed hebephilia. Great.

Last edited:
OK, so i've binged the whole season, concluded with season's finale, today's episode 9.
Overall, it was an enjoyable watch. The two main things that bothered me the most were:

1. The non-existent range of emotional facial expressions the actress that played Ellie had
2. So much screen time stolen from Joel and Ellie's story by overcomplicating and prolonging the side stories (flashbacks)

I did not mind little changes here and there, nor even completely new scenes (i.e. ellie's birth), what bothered me a bit was leaving some details out, for which i could not find a good reason, and which could bring more depth to the main protagonists, instead of prolonging the aforementioned flashbacks.
And Ellie is supposed to be 14 years old, so I just witnessed hebephilia. Great
How is it hebephilia when Riley is just 16? Both girls are merely teens.

OK, so i've binged the whole season, concluded with season's finale, today's episode 9.
Overall, it was an enjoyable watch. The two main things that bothered me the most were:

1. The non-existent range of emotional facial expressions the actress that played Ellie had
2. So much screen time stolen from Joel and Ellie's story by overcomplicating and prolonging the side stories (flashbacks)

I did not mind little changes here and there, nor even completely new scenes (i.e. ellie's birth), what bothered me a bit was leaving some details out, for which i could not find a good reason, and which could bring more depth to the main protagonists, instead of prolonging the aforementioned flashbacks.

How is it hebephilia when Riley is just 16? Both girls are merely teens.

I have pretty much the same two "complaints". I don't think the actress playing Ellie portrays emotion well at all and I didn't like all the screentime "stolen" from Joel and Ellie for side stories. Which is weird, because it didn't feel that way in the game at all, only in the show. I also didn't like EP8's ending compared to the game. It felt like they ripped all of the emotion and connection between Ellie and Joel out.

It was still a very enjoyable series though and I'd recommend it.

I'll tell you Bella Ramsay is such an actress in her own right that she doesn't quite know how to portray any kind of emotion. To be honest, I don't like this actress at all.

Back
Top Bottom