The Last Days v2.4 (for .808) ---Next Release Date Unknown!

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let the developers do their job. If you want to argue with someone about *slight* difference in books and movies, you can do it with me in PM:s.

And how about obviously proving why movies are visually better than books? Or at least give some kind of explanation why do you think that they're better visually? It is your opinion, but I'd like to know what makes movie orcs, for example, superior compared to book ones?

Perhaps I should just leave TLD discussion thread alone. I  look like a fan boy when I argue here.

Honestly, I'm Tolkien fan boy. And who the **** cares?

Elfy said:
Or at least give some kind of explanation why do you think that they're better visually? It is your opinion, but I'd like to know what makes movie orcs, for example, superior compared to book ones?
It's easy. Book ones you need to imagine to fill all blanks, and it takes some neuron twitching. Movie ones are packed and ready for consumption, no need to strain your brain on how those half-zombies live and procreate :smile:

Good thinking there, if you want to ***** about the movies vs. books, take it somewhere else. And stop trolling my PMs for god's sake.

And GetAssista wins the thread!

I wonder if Aquila realized that his brains can't imagine orcs better than Jackson's. Use your imagination!

Can't this thread be a bit less trollish, please? It realy becomes calling everyone who does not agree with you a "mindless idiots who are not true fans of Tolkien's work, haven't read the books and surely do not have any imagination at all". Don't you see it's pointless and silly?

And how about obviously proving why movies are visually better than books? Or at least give some kind of explanation why do you think that they're better visually? It is your opinion, but I'd like to know what makes movie orcs, for example, superior compared to book ones?

When you read a book you have your imagination - and everyone may imagine something different (even if something is clearly described in a book). My imagination of orc or gondorian soldier may be different than yours - if I draw my "vision" of an elvish archer (I can't draw so I won't do it :wink: ) you may like it or you may say "oh my God - it's terrible". In movies we already have nice (in my opinion) looking "things" (armor, races etc.) and moreover - millions of fans love them and thus love the same looking thing. Besides - when I look at movie orc I see evil, twisted creatures, while those from Alan Lee's drawing are (in my opinion) more funny than scary.

Of course the movies were visually better than the books.
You don't have 285 million worth of special effects in the books.

It's irrevelant. Gondorian armor did not cost 285 millions and special effects, costs of transpotation, actor's fees are not valid here. I have a very good imagination, but still a real girlfriend is better than imaginary one :wink:

And you don't have to think while watching the movies either.

It's easy. Book ones you need to imagine to fill all blanks, and it takes some neuron twitching. Movie ones are packed and ready for consumption, no need to strain your brain on how those half-zombies live and procreate

I wonder if Aquila realized that his brains can't imagine orcs better than Jackson's. Use your imagination!

As I said - "all who like the movies really HAVE to be idiots". It is not a real argument - it's maybe good for children, but not here. I know my neural network is working perfectly :smile: Besides -as I said I've read Tolkien's books many times and love them (so it clearly shows flaws in your argumentation) and I don't know who would win when asked about amount of recently read (other) books :wink:

EDIT: In fact I'd like to help you if I could, but unfortunately I have literally no experiance in making mods and I'm sure you know books as good (and probably better) than me (and English is also not my native language - and I'm sure it's clearly visible), so I would be useless.

@down - yawn...

I like the movies. In fact, I love them. I love the designs and the artist who did the designs are my heroes.

That said, we simply don't want to copy the movies. What the **** is so hard to understand about that?! When we say "we are book based", we obviously don't use Alan Lee's illustrations, we use the books' descriptions of stuff. I draw it, other members model and texture it. Because that's how we like to express our creativity and because we want to have a mod with Middle Earth as WE imagine it.
I don't give a flying **** about people liking the movies better, it's our mod and no amount of *****ing won't change our mind.

Do you get it now? It's not up to discussion and you're annoying. I hope you get it. Feel free to talk about the mod itself, but if you keep this "movies vs. books" **** up, I'll report you for trolling.

I don't give a flying **** about people liking the movies better, it's our mod and no amount of *****ing won't change our mind.

Yes, I know this right now, you said it more clearly than it was necessary. Too bad you didn't catch my response and the whole point of my later posts. So, may we stop this childish tone, please?

Do you have some new screens from the latest version you're working at? I'd really like to see your vision of Middle Earth (I haven't seen many pics - have you considered making a "TLD screenshots thread"? I'm sorry if you did it and I simply missed it (I found few screens only and they were from 0.808 version only I pressume).

I also copy something because I edited my earlier post:

In fact I'd like to help you if I could, but unfortunately I have literally no experiance in making mods and I'm sure you know books as good (and probably better) than me (and English is also not my native language - and I'm sure it's clearly visible), so I would be useless.

Let's try to keep it nice, guys.

Merl, I also like to make my own designs, as well as other team members do, if you don't mind me mentioning it :wink:

Aquilla, you can take a look here for a few TLD (for 1.011) screenshots, as well as the official FAQ:

http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php?topic=2086.0

There are also some preview threads here at Taleworlds, in case you might want to look for them.

DaBlade said:
Let's try to keep it nice, guys.

Merl, I also like to make my own designs, as well as other team members do, if you don't mind me mentioning it :wink:

Ah, of course, you're like a one man army. :wink:

^^ What he said :smile: We'll let everybody know in case we need beta-testers :wink:

And of course Merlkir provides the biggest source of inspiration for TLD arms and armor and other stuff, just not the only source. Didn't want to sound like I meant to take that away from him :razz:

What I meant to explain was the pipeline, that we don't sweep the movie stills for textures and that we do have our own concepts. Of course the look is a team effort. To be honest, we get into very heated arguments about the look of stuff quite often. :wink: So it's not my vision, or anyone else's, more like a group vision where our visions overlap. :wink:

Well said :smile:

Here are a few screenies which have been posted before, but are scattered through several threads.

Dunedain Ranger:
dunedainranger.jpg

The Dunedain ranger stands tall in the rain. The orcs are close, but he's not afraid. He dealt with them before, many times. He spotted the small group over a nearby hill; he counted seven of them, probably scouts. He's now sure they noticed his presence as well. He knows he can take down four or five with his bow before they get too close. As for the others... they'll be no match for his sword.

The Last Days of the Third Age

Coming soon to a computer near you.​

Arnor Knight:
Arnor_knight_05.jpg

Lothlorien swords:
lothlorien_swords.jpg

Number one thing I'm looking forward to is the ability to siege! God, that'll be good. And everything else as well, ahh just bloody finish it! :razz:

Might have to invent a time machine :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom