The Big Debate-Crossbows vs Bows

Users who are viewing this thread

Too long the war has been going on. It must end now! Bows or Crossbows?
The way I see it, there are some pros, and some cons.
Bows
Pros:
Potential for more damage
Much faster firing rate
Can be used on horesback

Cons:
Need a lot of skill points
No ability to 'duck' when reloading (flaky)  :grin:

Crossbows
Pros:
As long as you have the strength, you can just pick up a crossbow and go
You can 'duck' when reloading
No skill points needed

Cons:
Slow firing rate
Most can't be used on horesback
Less damage (if you happen to be an archery god) :grin:

If I've missed any, tell me.
So debate away!

Everyone forgets about style points. Crossbows are only cool if they're modified somehow, as per steam-punk, the Chinese repeating crossbows, etc. And Calderia is not the place for any of that. Bows however are awesome and iconic as-is. Robin hood. Legolas. Arjuna. Take your pick of the Archery heroes - the point is, they exist. Crossbows have never been cool enough for that kind of attention.

Sue me for taking the debate outside of mechanics, but heck, if we're starting this all over again in a new thread, now is the time.

There's no "war" at all, like you said yourself they both have cons and pros. It just depends on what you're looking for in a specific situation or on a specific character build. There's really no need to start yet another thread about this.

/thread for my part.

Captain_Octavius said:
There's no "war" at all, like you said yourself they both have cons and pros. It just depends on what you're looking for in a specific situation or on a specific character build. There's really no need to start yet another thread about this.

/thread for my part.
No war? Have  you seen the 'Ranged Weapons-Worth Investing?' thread? :shock:

war? what war? some like xbows, some like bows, some like thrown, some don't like ranged, everyone plays the way they want and everything has been said over and over again in dozens of threads.

Pointless.

The way I see it, if you want a ranged character go with bows. If you just want a ranged weapon that doesn't take any skill dedication for sieges like me, use the crossbow. Most of the characters that I stick with a melee based and I get bored waiting for my turn onto the ladder or for the siege tower, so I find that I'm more effective if I bring along a crossbow for sieges so I can take out 15-20+ enemies (usually archers) to help out my guys going up to the wall.

I dunno, I've found myself sticking to crossbows as a primary ranged weapon lately. Don't require any skill point investment (doesn't mean they don't require skill on the player's part, though), can shoot almost as fast as bows (again, needs quality input from the player) and can almost as much damage as bows. Now, of course, every single char I'm playing with lately is a commander. That means I invest in combat proficiency just about enough to be deadly so I can actually lead my company instead of going in overkill mode. I've also found this to be a bit more challenging - killing enemies isn't as easy and I actually have to stay in one piece through the whole fight so my support skills can actually keep my men alive (I don't make use of companions either).

Crossbows, any day, any hour, any second. Milliseconds too if you want. I'd rather get 10 trade and 10 leadership instead of doing a lil bit more of damage and faster firing rate. 15 more soldiers > your extra damage. Nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom