The Arquebus

Users who are viewing this thread

ttl said:
lefiath said:
because unlike the arquebus, crossbows can be used on horseback, so improving profficiency for crossbows is much more viable. If anyone wants to play PoP without a horse, by all means, not my idea of something fun or doable. I don't do that many siege defences to really gain profficiency,
Training crossbow from horseback in the field is a pain. You gain crossbow proficiency at siege offense, sniping enemies off from the parapets. Bandit lairs are also a good source. The stationary targets allow for long-range shots that give huge "difficulty rating"s, and thus huge skill increases. The game doesn't properly account for target (angular) velocity in the shot difficulty. So should work for the gun as well.

Field training with either is easy, as long as you get Alaric to spawn.

I am one of supporters of firearms, is even cool because Barclay were based on Spanish Crown, good thing as arquebus is restricted

Arcon said:
LucarioRazex said:
In my opinion, the Arquebus is kinda meh, outshined by many other ranged weapons (bows especifically, and the Siege xbow takes a dump on it) but it does feel satisfying to use, so it definately has roleplay value, of you're into that.

Sorry, but this went against the canon of PoP. Not sure why the devs thought it was any way thematic to place a gunpowder weapon in this realm, but meh, I'll get over it.

How does it go against PoP canon? You realize that technology can progress right?

Not sure if it's just the boom stick, or if it's changed for all ranged weapons, but it can be used with drunks in the tavern. With my low Strength/Agility leader build, jumping behind the bar or over tables and shooting the attacker has given many moments of joy. As has climbing on top of the large rocks on the battlefields near Poinsbrook, and shooting the swarming bandits attempting to rob me.

it is a great weapon for medic/trader type companions.

I gave it to Leslie and she always gets a couple of kills with it despite me never upgrading her Str and Ag.  On a side not I also give her the man opener as it has no Str requirement  (Sorry Kaverra)

I one siege defense in Castle Mobray, I placed in a position in which she could not be shot but could shoot into the backs of attackers on the ladders.

She managed to get 23 kills while Diev with his Horn Bow and PD 7 only managed 25 from the same spot.

Hatchet said:
Not sure if it's just the boom stick, or if it's changed for all ranged weapons, but it can be used with drunks in the tavern. With my low Strength/Agility leader build, jumping behind the bar or over tables and shooting the attacker has given many moments of joy. As has climbing on top of the large rocks on the battlefields near Poinsbrook, and shooting the swarming bandits attempting to rob me.
Every ranged weapon can be used in tavern fights now. The restriction was removed in either v3.8 or v3.9. I can't remember which.

I am using it on CKO after I buffed it a bit. Got too powerful that most enemies won’t survive a combined volley of bullets and noldor arrows from my CKO Knights and Sergeants

They barely breach my shield formation

Pacific_Salmon said:
it is a great weapon for medic/trader type companions.

I gave it to Leslie and she always gets a couple of kills with it despite me never upgrading her Str and Ag.  On a side not I also give her the man opener as it has no Str requirement  (Sorry Kaverra)

I one siege defense in Castle Mobray, I placed in a position in which she could not be shot but could shoot into the backs of attackers on the ladders.

She managed to get 23 kills while Diev with his Horn Bow and PD 7 only managed 25 from the same spot.

Yep, yep, and yep. Leslie is int monster in my game, all because of the boomstick.

Also, a decent-sized group of Janissaries makes life easier for other archers as they tend to absolutely obliterate shields. So Janissaries wreck shields, xbowmen mdk poor shieldless schmucks, and bowmen cover the two while they reload. Seems to work okay.  :twisted:

Also, maybe it's just because I'm kinda used to M&B firearms but I don't find reload times TOO excessive.

The long Reload is mostly cause that Janissaries are a bit low skilled, with higher ones, the reload get way quicker. Thats why im training my CKO to use themm with 300+ skills :grin:

Phalnax811 said:
Can gunpowder be turned off? I didn't download the mod to play With Fire and Sword...
Yes. Remove the Arquebus and bullets from the inventories of Barclay Janissaries with Morgh's Editor and replace them with a Siege Crossbow and a bag of Siege Bolts + Steel Bolts. And ignore the rest. Tadaaaa! :party:

And why did Barclay lose their foreskins and turned ottoman? You  should have opted for something more fitting, like Barclay Musketoon or Barclay Boomstick in hommage to an invaluable piece of cinematic art! Hehehe...

noosers said:
And why did Barclay lose their foreskins and turned ottoman? You  should have opted for something more fitting, like Barclay Musketoon or Barclay Boomstick in hommage to an invaluable piece of cinematic art! Hehehe...

Indeed. The term Janissary refers specifically to the elite Turkish guards of the Ottoman empire. Not only is this culturally inappropriate (since Barclay feels European to me), the use of real historical naming terms in a fantasy setting is quite jarring. Why? Because these terms are almost inseparable from their historical context. When I hear the word Janissary, I immediately think of enlightenment age Turkey. Just like Old guard conjures up images of Napoleonic France. The use of such terms detract from the immersion of being in a fantasy setting. I suggest renaming it to something more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom