Technical Support Thread - Can't Get the Game Working!

Users who are viewing this thread

Your graphics chip looks like it might be contributing to the problem there, since it is by far the weakest thing you have listed. Blue screen crashes are not really a problem of the mod - much more likely to be a problem with hardware, graphics drivers, operating system, or maybe the main warband game; so you could try the warband tech support boards for more help.

Okay so I try to join NA PW mod server that I normally play on but it goes to download the map, gets stuck at (0 kb) for a second or two and a message pops up saying  error "unable to connect".  I dont understand?  I played in there for days and all of a sudden this happens

Greeting. PWmod is my favorite mod, but some times I have problems with connecting to the servers. When trying connect the server i am get system inaction (game not respond and doesn't do anything) and after some time message: "Connection to the server was lost". I have Pentium 4 3.00GHz, 1Gb RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT. I am always use Dx7 and low video configurations without shadows. Thanks for any respond.

I can't help with those connection errors, as they are almost certainly a problem of the warband engine or your network connection to the server, not the PW mod. If after connecting to a server running PW the game loads and then afterwards quits or crashes with a descriptive error, it might be a problem for me, but not when a generic error message is shown while in the server list. You could try searching in the warband technical support board.

Vornne said:
I can't help with those connection errors, as they are almost certainly a problem of the warband engine or your network connection to the server, not the PW mod. If after connecting to a server running PW the game loads and then afterwards quits or crashes with a descriptive error, it might be a problem for me, but not when a generic error message is shown while in the server list. You could try searching in the warband technical support board.

Okey, thank you for respond.

Allright, I downloaded all the files with WinRAR, unpacked it and put it in into Modules.
But it doesn't work. The game starts but I can't join maps!

Suspicous Pilgrim said:
Make a new folder and extract the files there.
Actually, PW 4 full downloads have the correctly named module directory inside the .rar, so you only need to extract to the Warband/Modules/ directory (as detailed on the download page); patches are different, since you need to have the full download of an earlier PW 4 version, extract inside that directory, and then rename it correctly (see download page).

Hi, I'm trying to setup a name server for the pw server I'm running atm, and I'm wondering what the clan tags will look like if I got everything to work.
Assuming clan tag = "ATS"
Player "Airith" joins the game.
What will it modify? Thanks.
Also, is it possible to request that since the db is set up, the ability to store peoples gold/inventory as well? It'd be neat to have everything build up for a while, and then get a restart once the map/round/whatever is done.

Player "Airith" will join the game successfully and link the name to their unique ID (serial), the clan tag would only prevent them joining as "ATS_Airth". Storing gold and inventory is intentionally not part of the name server design - it only stores information about the person, not the game character - and as explained before many times, I dislike the MMO style "save everything forever" design, and won't add it to PW (refer to the first post in the stickied suggestions thread).

Vornne said:
Player "Airith" will join the game successfully and link the name to their unique ID (serial), the clan tag would only prevent them joining as "ATS_Airth". Storing gold and inventory is intentionally not part of the name server design - it only stores information about the person, not the game character - and as explained before many times, I dislike the MMO style "save everything forever" design, and won't add it to PW (refer to the first post in the stickied suggestions thread).
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think I have it working but I'll try editing a few things first. Is the tag only a prefix, or does it handle suffixes as well?

I guess you've been asked for that feature a lot so I won't bug you, but saving gold until the round ends/map change or whatnot would be similar to the admin banks people are running, unless I'm thinking of them differently. An option would be nice :oops: I'd be willing to code it too :sad:

GRANT ALL ON pw_player_names.* TO 'pw_name_server'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'mcn345N2iH';
is localhost the website listing where checkplayers.php is, or should it not be changed?

INSERT INTO warband_servers (name, password) VALUES ("My server", SHA1("MyPassword"));
"My server" = name of server in the server listing
"MyPassword" = password that is edited into the strings.txt file?

Airith said:
Is the tag only a prefix, or does it handle suffixes as well?
Prefix only.
Airith said:
I guess you've been asked for that feature a lot so I won't bug you, but saving gold until the round ends/map change or whatnot would be similar to the admin banks people are running, unless I'm thinking of them differently. An option would be nice :oops: I'd be willing to code it too :sad:
The module system for PW 4 will be eventually released to the public, once most of the main things are finished - might be a few months, but I can't promise when; after then, other people can try make spin off mods with a different focus. The game already saves gold until the round ends - once the scene or server is restarted the gold values are lost. The first post in the current stickied suggestions thread explains a bit more.
Airith said:
GRANT ALL ON pw_player_names.* TO 'pw_name_server'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'mcn345N2iH';
is localhost the website listing where checkplayers.php is, or should it not be changed?
The "localhost" is the server where checkplayers.php is, but unless the database is on a different server, it should work fine as is (localhost just means "this computer", at least with linux).
Airith said:
INSERT INTO warband_servers (name, password) VALUES ("My server", SHA1("MyPassword"));
"My server" = name of server in the server listing
"MyPassword" = password that is edited into the strings.txt file?
Yes.

Got it working, thanks for the help Vornne. And I appreciate the future move to open source, can't wait to see how you managed some of these awesome feats.

Been trying to get this to work with no luck. No matter how many times I re-install, try the patch instead of the full download, etc... I still receive the message: Unable to connect to server, for ANY PW beta1 server.

Boosh said:
Been trying to get this to work with no luck. No matter how many times I re-install, try the patch instead of the full download, etc... I still receive the message: Unable to connect to server, for ANY PW beta1 server.
I'm fairly sure that this is not a problem specific to the PW module: it has been commonly reported for Native and other mods for a long time, and happens in a "hard coded" part of the game engine with no mod scripts being run. You might find a solution after searching the warband technical support board; using the search box in the top right corner of the page to search for  "unable connect server" gives multiple pages of results. The stickied "missing server list" thread might also be helpful: I'd try editing "My Documents/Mount&Blade Warband/rgl_config.txt", changing "use_secure_connection = 0" and then if that doesn't work change the "max_number_of_connections" setting as specified.

Back
Top Bottom