Taleworlds please get to work

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, devs like mexxico, azakhi, Duh ,AVRC actually give answers to sensible / constructive posts
I guess all these dudes are angry that TW isn't constantly answering to their insults lmao, I sincerely don't know what they expect

The only insult here is to have released little more than an engine demo after 8 years of teasing fans with a date. I’ve supported these devs with my hard earned money over the years and care just as much if not more than they do about the success of Bannerlord.

It’s been 6 months and I’m just being brutally honest about the disappointingly lacking and shallow state of the game whose EA release was followed up with some of the most atrocious effort and pace in development that I’ve ever seen, especially considering just how much work needs to be done and how little time is left on their initial deadline. Like I said, it’s time to cut the shisha breaks and start outsourcing dev work / bringing in new talent to start tackling promised yet completely unfinished systems.

Everyone shutting down or denying common sense conversation about the game’s current state is part of the problem. No wonder they feel lax in turning a 1 month deadline into 6, or a year into three.

If they took my post as constructive criticism and not just mere “insults” then I could see them working toward a dignified release in 2.5 years.

The only insult here is to have released little more than an engine demo after 8 years of teasing fans with a date. I’ve supported these devs with my hard earned money over the years and care just as much if not more than they do about the success of Bannerlord.

It’s been 6 months and I’m just being brutally honest about the disappointingly lacking and shallow state of the game whose EA release was followed up with some of the most atrocious effort and pace in development that I’ve ever seen, especially considering just how much work needs to be done and how little time is left on their initial deadline. Like I said, it’s time to cut the shisha breaks and start outsourcing dev work / bringing in new talent to start tackling promised yet completely unfinished systems.

Everyone shutting down or denying common sense conversation about the game’s current state is part of the problem. No wonder they feel lax in turning a 1 month deadline into 6, or a year into three.

If they took my post as constructive criticism and not just mere “insults” then I could see them working toward a dignified release in 2.5 years.

I dunno man, calling dudes lazy when they say straight-up that their focus has been on stability and performance is pretty insulting.

There are tons of systems that need implementation/improvement through talent + hours and done at a far greater pace than you've shown this past decade. At this rate BL will still be in EA by 2025. Here are just a few ideas:

1. Add more depth to the game (eg: politics, diplomacy, intrigue). Take some notes from Crusader Kings. That's the sort of stuff this game needs to fill up its hollow shell that becomes all too noticeable after a single bug infested play through of chasing down armies and sieging castles. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there's very little content here. People have dumped thousands upon thousands of hours into CK2. Don't be cheap. Take inspiration, get new hands onboard, and get to work. That's what early access should be about.

2. Hire some writers and artists to work on the cities/lore/story/environment. There is no world building here. Visiting cities and interacting with NPCs leave the impression of playing through an engine demo. There's a ton of work to be done in this regard and I seriously doubt that the current staff can deliver considering the scarcity in content on its initial EA release and between that time and now, 6 months later. It's crucial if you label your game as an RPG/Simulation for you to take steps to develop its world, characters, locations, history, atmosphere, etc. Look at other RPG/Sandbox games, take notes, and improve your own.

3. Fix the terrible AI. 10 years later and I hardly see the improvement over Warband. Formations are not a way to sell the idea you've worked extensively on AI. A single close enemy off to the side and your men abandon all cohesion and act like roaches chasing a kill while the enemy formation slams into their rear. Why not add a system where multiple units together attract more attention from the AI and when ordered to charge those units become their primary target and not the lone infantryman or cavalry archer behind them. Add a function for the AI to reform or reposition in a group, to spread out or back off if they're being encircled. These are just a few ideas off the top of my head. It's not that hard and you've had plenty of time to work on this major selling point - maybe it's time to outsource. Far greater challenges have been overcome. Don't let pride or greed hold this game back from its full potential.

4. Release mod tools; you said you'd release something by the end of August. We're now a week into September and not a word. You were mistaken/lying and you should address the fact. There just isn't enough talent and drive at TW to reasonably complete this game and if it wasn't for the eager modders that are prepared to finish this game for you then it would be an insult to ask players to beta test this game for the next 5 years while you polish the superficial systems that are in place. Warband has been alive this long cause of its devoted modding community. That shouldn't be the case with Bannerlord - you shouldn't aim to accomplish the bare minimum with the expectation that others will finish the job.

Pet peeves:

5. Make first-person and third-person mouse sensitivity values equal. First person is a lot faster than third person. It makes aiming bows or melee in 1P uncomfortable.

6. Field of View in third person is atrocious; include an option to tweak it the same as first person FOV (Note: this is not "zoom")

It's 2020 and this isn't a console port, you need to nail the basics like sensitivity and FOV. Sort of blows my mind how no one at the office after all these years took a day or two to iron this out.

These are just a few things you ought to be working on NOW. Reorganize, hire talent, crack down on 3 hour coffee and shisha breaks, do what you have to do.

At this rate, you're gonna be stuck in early access for as long as it took to finally put the game on steam or end up releasing it completely lacking content, depth, or any of the promises you are expected to keep.

Stop drawing out the process. You have a block of ice here with endless, untapped potential and it's time to start carving a sculpture.
Just a heads up: There are others here who share your opinions to some degree, there are many more who will blindly attack you for criticizing their beloved Taleworlds.

Although to be honest, if we have to pick one or the other, id rather they focus on point 1 over aesthetic improvements and mod-ability. Dont get me wrong they all need work, but it does not seem they are willing to commit the resources.

I reaaally don't understand why TW wont just hire people from the modding community, they do insane amounts of work for free already so lets reward them

Criticism cannot be seen as constructive if its based on you presuming delays and failures are the result of laziness, greed and not caring.

I reaaally don't understand why TW wont just hire people from the modding community, they do insane amounts of work for free already so lets reward them
This. The only explanation that makes sense to me, is they are exploiting the volunteer modder community as free labour/R&D.

I've read the op and while he/she has some good points it's really hard to take this seriously because there is a lot of hyperbole and postulating and it comes off as more of a rant then constructive criticism or even criticism. I think issues like fov and sensitivity need to be addressed I just find his/her way to express him/herself to be off putting. It's really hard for me to even debate this post because it's about venting to make him/her feel better not making the game better, and frankly I don't give a **** about how mad the op is. I don't usually think that posts should be locked but I see nothing good coming out of this thread and in fact all it does is divide forum users even more. I really hope a mod comes in soon and says enough is enough. There's no point in discussing how hard TW does or doesn't work because none of us have been to their offices or to their homes.

crack down on 3 hour coffee and shisha breaks, do what you have to do.
The only insult here
Yeah ok.
Another company manager, game developer expert is coming to teach everyone how to run a company guys! Callum, Armagan please pay attention to this guy, otherwise instead of having 5 dudes ranting in your niche forums, your will have 6! (2 are alt accounts)

Modding a game and developing/coding a game is a different thing all together.
Yeah no crossover at all. 0_o

I've read the op and while he/she has some good points it's really hard to take this seriously because there is a lot of hyperbole and postulating and it comes off as more of a rant then constructive criticism or even criticism. I think issues like fov and sensitivity need to be addressed I just find his/her way to express him/herself to be off putting. It's really hard for me to even debate this post because it's about venting to make him/her feel better not making the game better, and frankly I don't give a **** about how mad the op is. I don't usually think that posts should be locked but I see nothing good coming out of this thread and in fact all it does is divide forum users even more. I really hope a mod comes in soon and says enough is enough. There's no point in discussing how hard TW does or doesn't work because none of us have been to their offices or to their homes.
Other people playing more then you notice more then you. Also I dont think the OP really cares if you approve of his delivery, it wasn't made just for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom