Swine flu. What's happening in Mexico?

Users who are viewing this thread

In my opinion ( and not just mine, but of several other mexicans), this whole thing has been blown out of proportion, since the "pandemic" numbers are just plainly ridiculous. Truth be told there have been only (as far as I know) 7 confirmed deaths due to the swine influenza virus, 3 of which have been severely ill people (they were sick and weakened before the flu virus struck them down). This sounds more like a "smoke bomb" used by the media to distract the general public of something else... maybe the crisis maybe something new, I'm not sure about that.

The level of histeria is rather overblown - we've got around 300 confirmed cases world-wide, out of a population of what, 5 billion or so?

I'll start worrying when it's infected maybe 3 million or so, but it's just a sniffle outside of Mexico.

Anything to make people dislike immigrants more.  :roll:

I'm telling you, the hype surrounding this IS political.

I just found out about an unscrupulous pig farm that moved to the Mexico City area from the United States. When they were in the US, they were nailed for polluting the water supply and were forced to build a sewage treatment plant just for their pigs. When NAFTA went into effect they packed up and moved to Mexico. So far they have not been forced to take such measures since they moved to Mexico. This gigantic farm/plant probably drove alot of smaller, less hazardous farms out of buisness.

There are alot of names for this flu, swine, H1C1 ect....

I call it NAFTA flu.

Problem is, people have gotten too comfortable in the west. We don't have major killer disease outbreaks any more so we think we're invincible.
"Oh it's only killed 7 people, so what".

It's the threat of what it could and is likely mutate into that's scary.

Redcoat - Mic said:
Problem is, people have gotten too comfortable in the west. We don't have major killer disease outbreaks any more so we think we're invincible.
"Oh it's only killed 7 people, so what".

It's the threat of what it could and is likely mutate into that's scary.

Oh, I completely agree with you on that point, but, as it stands, if it weren't for the media hyping it up (the tabloids here, for instance - one of them said 750,000 will die here in the UK) we likely wouldn't even be discussing it.

AIDS is easy to avoid.
Don't have unprotected sex with strangers, don't share needles, don't get stabbed by a dirty needle.
What can you do to avoid flu? Stay in a bunker for 18 months?

Redcoat - Mic said:
AIDS is easy to avoid.
Don't have unprotected sex with strangers, don't share needles, don't get stabbed by a dirty needle.
What can you do to avoid flu? Stay in a bunker for 18 months?
Wash your hands on a regular basis (especially if you go out in public), avoid touching your face when your hands aren't clean, avoid eating at fast food joints, and use an alcohol based waterless hand sanitizer before every meal. I heard that masks aren't all that useful for this particular virus, but I don't know for certain.

They're only useful for short periods, but then they go all soggy and ineffective. I'm not sure whether the same goes for full face gas masks, but it would all go a tad apocalyptic if everybody started wearing those.

They're only useful when you already have the virus to contain the pathogen from escaping through your respitory system.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the number of people infected with herpes world wide is much higher than the flu. It's an outright pandemic all in its own. Nobody makes a big fudd about that now are they?

Edit: Oh Noes! It has spread to H0ng K0ng!

We're DOOMED!

Swadius said:
They're only useful when you already have the virus to contain the pathogen from escaping through your respitory system.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that the number of people infected with herpes world wide is much higher than the flu. It's an outright pandemic all in its own. Nobody makes a big fudd about that now are they?

We're DOOMED!

Are you from Hong Kong? I seem to remember you saying you lived here. My condolences.

Anyway, its ****ing hilarious here. 1 suspected case, they quarantine 300 ****ing people. Force them to take that drug **** for a week and go bat****. Its ****ing ridiculous. People were rushing into the store to buy masks - which are useless - like ****ing rodents. Its disgusting to see the idiocy of most of the human race.

Ok... Well... The media is just blowing this entire "Swine Flu Epidemic" way out of proportion. The only (and most probable reason) is that Mexico's deaths are because they don't have top-tier medical techniques and equipment. The environment around there is total **** like literally you see garbage everywhere. If you live in a sophisticated area such as the U.S. or most European countries, you shouldn't worry too much. Yes, I realize that the Swine Flu is a new type of disease/virus. But just because it is a new disease doesn't mean you have to quarantine absolutely everyone. I'm sure other people have said this before but the thing to keep yourself healthy is to simply wash your hands, not to touch your face, avoid physical contact from others. It's the small things that can kill you... and it's also the small things that you (should) do daily that can separate you from those infected.

Be a germaphobe for a while... and you'll live. Hopefully

Its just flu, thats the thing.  If we thought of cool names for every year's variant of flu, then the media would just eat it up.

I live in northern California, and am not exactly pissing myself in fear, but my germaphobe ***** of a math teacher wont let us put our backpacks on the desks because the backpacks have "germs" on them. I can sneeze right on the desk but god forbid I leave my paper carrying device on it.

Maybe he knows something you don't? *gasp* Maybe swine flu is spread by SCHOOLBOOKS! Quickly, you must burn them all! It's the only way to be safe!

Elenmmare said:
Swadius said:

We're DOOMED!

Are you from Hong Kong? I seem to remember you saying you lived here. My condolences.

A person doesn't live in Hong Kong. They are confined there.

Anyway, its ****ing hilarious here. 1 suspected case, they quarantine 300 ****ing people. Force them to take that drug **** for a week and go bat****. Its ****ing ridiculous. People were rushing into the store to buy masks - which are useless - like ****ing rodents. Its disgusting to see the idiocy of most of the human race.

The standard of education there has really taken a nose dive since the British left...

The shop that sells flags (yes flags) is now selling surgical masks. If anything, it's the one thing that would prevent them from going out of buisness. Thank you World Health Organization, for making a mount-****ing-everest out of a molehill.

Back
Top Bottom