Sweeney Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, its essentially the best musical I've ever seen.  Its not often that you get a tale about a barber (played by Depp) murdering his clients while his landlady processes the bodies into meat pies, and its even rarer that its a comedy.  Admittedly, a sick comedy, and some in the audience were not inclined to agree.  Like Burton's other films, its dark, twisted, and a hell of a lot of fun.

It being a musical, the singing talents of the actors are interesting.  Depp's voice is technically flawed, but that rawness actually works to further characterize his role as the tortured, devilish barber.  Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman, unfortunately, do not have excellent voices, and, while Carter's can be somewhat overlooked as simply being weak (not a detriment to her character), Rickman's is, in fact, somewhat grating.  However, he perfectly fills the role of the sinister judge, and it is my opinion that his acting talents outweigh his somewhat flawed voice.  Comparisons to the original Sondheim musical are favorable to Rickman, at least based on what I've been told from friends who've seen both. 

The set design and lighting are simply brilliant; the cinematographer should be winning awards, at the very least.  Stunning visuals. The blood, while copious, is also quite fake,  though the effect works quite well at times. 

In conclusion, it is an excellent film for those who have an appreciation for macabre, dark, humor.  For those who don't, think about the basic plot synopsis, then picture yourself chuckling throughout most of the film.  If you're seriously disturbed by that idea, consider not seeing it.  Everyone else should. 

Going to have to watch this, my girlfriend is a Depp freak. Dreading it really, but that's because I've already read the story and most fruity Depp films don't exite me.
Ah well.
But seriously, Alan Rickman's voice being flawed?! It's perfect for everything. Do you mean in the film or just his voice?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHDumgLVR6c 2 words, that's pratically all he gets in that ****e film and he nails them.
"Obbvvioussllyy" has been a hilarious quip with most people I know since that film came out.  :grin:

James said:
His singing voice isn't so awesome as his speaking.
This.  He's absolutely brilliant as Judge Turpin, from an acting standpoint.  Further, his voice isn't bad, per se, its just oddly off during one of his songs.  I quite like Rickman, I just wish he had a stronger bass with more tone.

I will have to go and see it because my wife is a big Sondheim fan. She's already seen Sweeney Todd on stage 4 times.

Reading the wikipedia article I'm a bit disappointed in the direction they moved the story. In the film it's kind of like a revenge thing, but in the original penny dreadful he was just a murderer who killed any random man who walked in. This made him a lot more villainous in my opinion.

That was a comedy?

I wondered if some of it was supposed to be funny. I usually like black comedy too... I guess it was the (pseudo) realism that stopped my finding it funny (real people die like that =/). Still, very well made. And I always like it when they make you feel sorry for the bad guy.

I agree (hence pseudo). Blood is hardly the point anyway. But, for example, I found Sacha Baron Cohen's death, and the corpses falling down the shoot a little much. I could watch it sure, but I'm not really sure of my opinion of this sort of thing in any film.

It worries me too  :cry:

Edit: Actually, there's no way that was a black comedy. The bits with Cohen were funny-ish (intended to be certainly), and a few of the songs, but that movie was no comedy. (I'll stop hogging the thread with useless points now).

I heard the movie had gotten high praise from just about every critic ever, so I was ever so slightly hyped up, although I've never been one to trust reviews; (For example, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind  has been treated like it's this fantastic, timeless classic, but I for one found myself sighing while rolling my eyes through the majority of it.), and besides, I've always hated musicals, and couldn't for the life of me imagine Alan Rickman having a pleasant singing voice. After having seen it, though, it now ranks up there with my absolute favourites. Depp and Carter's relatively coarse and grating singing voices actually worked like hell. I couldn't imagine the songs sung otherwise. The movie was so over - the - top surreal and gory that it turned out impossible to take it too seriously. We laughed several times while watching it, and left the cinema with these big grins all over our faces.

Oh, and holy crap, Pirelli was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom