Sui Generis

Users who are viewing this thread

Vieira said:
Even when in combat? Maybe I'm just dumb and forget which way each button moves me in relation to the current angle. Maybe my brain is too slow for the game. I'll give it another shot soonish.

Het into the habit of tapping the spacebar whenever you start to feel "uncomfortable". It seems to vary for different people. e.g. if I'm to the left of the screen facing right, my brain siezes up and I can't counter properly. And if I'm on the top of the screen I'm insta-dead. I guess it's the issue with making a fixed camera game with context-direction-sensitive controls; don't feel bad if you never get used to it.

Also don't feel useless if the mace guy at the beginning kills you. He's one of the hardest characters in the game if you don't count the cheesy broken magic sword woman.

The red shield/sword woman in expert. Her sword has ludicrous impact damage and is so short that most 2h weapons can't block it effectively. I haven't come up with an effective way to beat her because her weapon can do a lot of damage regardless of how off-center her attacks are.

Also I may have said this a trillion times but I bloody hate the 1h weapon animations. They're so retarded, it's like a sword dragging a person along.

People actually struggle with Expert Arena? :lol:

Take 2 handed sword, all armor, keep upgrading armor before her fight and she can barely even hurt you, or even hit you if you keep distance as you should. Shielders are all beaten the same way, sidestep into non shield arm side, and swing from their flank towards them, they'll have difficulty blocking, or even easier, swing while crouching from left to right repeteadly.

Harkon Haakonson said:
It's very far from the best. It has high coverage but damage leaks through it even if it blocks.

It's a small amount of temporary damage, I don't know if there's some sturdiness stat implemented? But smaller shields means more risk of taking hits in the hand or arm.

DanAngleland said:
Harkon Haakonson said:
People actually struggle with Expert Arena? :lol:

:evil: I don't- I haven't even gotten past the novice level yet! Got stuck on the last or penultimate fighter and gave up a few weeks ago.

Assuming you are using the two-handed sword, just maintain your distance and slight reach advantage against sword-and-board woman. The last guy is easy, his weapon's pretty slow so you can step in and try a swing when it's safe, and back off pretty easily when he starts swinging.

For the main game, you can turn early checkpoints on and continue from the checkpoints you reached when you die. The checkpoints are between levels. Say you got to level two and got killed, you can continue and start at the end of level one.

Blocking is automatic when you don't attack, but it's best not to count on it. Stepping out of reach tends to be safer and it's easier to strike back from there.

You can probably also find the savegames somewhere and just keep a backup copy of them in case you die.

Though i would say, at least at the beginning the perma death is not a bad part of the game experience. Keeps things very tense.

There's an update coming soon(tm) apparently, but they're taking their time with this one. Should have a lot of new game content and hopefully new combat mechanics.
(I'd love if they added stabbing, though I suspect they're still working on the AI for that)

This game has the best combat of any melee game I have played. Surprisingly the AI is okay too. I can't get past the fifth expert opponent.

Unfortunately Exanima requires no combat to complete  :lol:

Really excited for Sui Generis though.

Also, for some great fun, take a two handed sword. Slash and crouch 1/2 - 2/3 through the swing for an easy ankle sweep  :grin:

Adorno said:
Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how the combat works?
If you check the steam guides there's surprisingly a few good ones, but generally if you practice in Arena mode for a few hours you can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom