Suggestions for Implementation within the Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

joespie said:
hurray i made a good suggestion
it would save you time to colaberate the best bit of other mods to improve this one

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52131.0.html

ther's the link to the mod i was talking about

--
in the spirit of poaching other mods, I also highly suggest grabbing the sounds from the brutality mod..
their wicked awesome

word to that
plus you should think of using even more items from other mods
there are amny that give the vaegir's a unique feel, as at the moment there really just a missmatched nord and khergite faction

The HD map thing is rather nice.  I'll wait for The Merc's input before it gets added as a patch, but anyone can use it with our mod.  Just put the HD map's .dds files in the Native Expansion\Textures directory and you should immediately see it.  There shouldn't be any compatibility problems.

As for using much code from other people, I'm more prone to write my own.  Given how many bugs and rewrites I've had to do with the code we've already used from other people I think it'd just be easier to do it from scratch.

A new patch will be out in a couple hours.  After today's patch the next thing I'll be working on is the ability to give companions their own parties to help defend your kingdom, because I really do like that idea.

Although it might cause them to have desertion issues, It would be great to have them pay their own mens wages. Kinda act like other Lords.

Ratel said:
Although it might cause them to have desertion issues, It would be great to have them pay their own mens wages. Kinda act like other Lords.

Won't happen.  The weekly rate of troops in companion parties might get adjusted... but it could be up or down.  Haven't decided yet.  But, companions are not lords, they are people who were down on their luck like the player.  You hire them out of taverns after all.  Lords have rich and important noble families backing them.  Companions will still rely on the player to fund them in some fashion.

Yes I don't mean they become Lords. Just meant the way they recruit armys, go about the map etc. But just being able to have them doing something more usefull would be great. :grin:

Jinnai, you can make any and all changes suggested in the last few pages that you want to.

I'm not going to be on here often much, and only one computer has internet at the moment. That computer is not the one that I have the source codes and M&B installed on, nor is it the computer that I use. I only use it for internet now, so...

I'm also having a few issues with my health. Nothing major, but they've been keeping me feeling weak and unable to do things I normally do; for one thing, I haven't gone running in a week.

When we figure out wiring and wireless, I'll get back to work on this.

Another idea this time poached from Eagle Radiant Cross mod,

You could make different types of recruits depending on which town or village you go to. Certain towns or villages could contain specialty units not available in other places in the faction, and unless you gain relation with the town/village you wouldnt have access to these units.

in the ERC mod, i think the towns give out higherlevel recruits but maybe you could just make them location specific, they could be named like, "Saragoth Berserkers" or "Velucian Pikemen" with their own troop trees.

----
It might also be interesting, although potentially impossible to code, to somehow make your own skills affect the types of units available in a village through the 'train the peasants' quest. Again, probably not possible, but it would be sweet to create custom unit types in game (maybe like the way you customize npc heros?).

Deadly **** said:
Another idea this time poached from Eagle Radiant Cross mod,

You could make different types of recruits depending on which town or village you go to. Certain towns or villages could contain specialty units not available in other places in the faction, and unless you gain relation with the town/village you wouldnt have access to these units.

in the ERC mod, i think the towns give out higherlevel recruits but maybe you could just make them location specific, they could be named like, "Saragoth Berserkers" or "Velucian Pikemen" with their own troop trees.

----
It might also be interesting, although potentially impossible to code, to somehow make your own skills affect the types of units available in a village through the 'train the peasants' quest. Again, probably not possible, but it would be sweet to create custom unit types in game (maybe like the way you customize npc heros?).

Second part is very possible. It would involve talking to your units and some conversation trigger to change them to a new unit. However...the unit would be completely unequipped until you equipped him.

Might add first part.

Possible idea to make giving land away to Lords worth it - add a new dialogue option, like the "weekly pay for a mercenary one" that only activates when you're their king and they own land under you, giving you money each week for every piece of territory they own in some amount, to simulate them paying tribute to you as their king.  Also, granting land should give a large relation bonus. 

Also, make it possible to appoint Lords out of your companions if you start your own kingdom, or maybe even to pledge for them as potential vassals to whoever you're working with, in which case they'd join your faction as a lord with a large relationship bonus and would agree to follow your party even if you're not marshall.  Certain companions (Bashetur and any of the other more barbaric companions) might refuse to take up lordship or require certain conditions before they'd agree to pledge themselves to certain kingdoms - that trader who was ambushed by Khergits, for example, might refuse to become a Khergit lord.

I am working on making companions hired lords under your own kingdom.  But if you work for another monarch you won't be able to make companions lords, as to be a lord you have to swear an oath to the monarch.  If I were to add granting lands it would definitely give a big relation bonus to that lord, but they wouldn't pay any sort of tribute as that doesn't happen with the current kingdoms/monarchs.  Granting lands would remove the weekly costs of any troops associated with that land, but it would also remove that tax income.  Which means granting villages would be pointless.  Only granting towns and castles would have any potential benefit, and I'm not sure the benefit would really be there...  If you have a high leadership given garrisons reduce weekly costs of troops 50% chances are the weekly income from the castle or town would greatly exceed the costs.

What if villages had their own militias, so that way when you rescue them from bandits or a raiding party, they contribute useful troops, rather then farmers who get in the way and die like flies.  Maybe even tie it to a village improvement or something, or only after you complete the 'train the peasants' quest.

Another thing which was mentioned and could be cool - Let us recruit captured Lords.  Add a conversation option or something and let us try and wear them down until they join us.  One way to do it would be to make it handle like the "get the debt" quest:  You can either pay a (probably needs to be huge) bribe, persuade to bring the bribe amount down, or take a nice hefty relationship hit if you have really good relations with a given lord (and I'm talking REALLY GOOD given that you'll need to maintain positive relation AFTER taking them prisoner, which is already a -10 hit).  If you do convince them, they'll leave their faction and join yours.  Naturally, Kings couldn't be persuaded to abandon their kingdom.

Possible equation for the bribe amount:  6000 + -50 x Relation (so that when multiplied against negative relations, it adds to the cost, but against positive relations, it moves the bribe down).  This way, most lords (those you've captured only once and never met before) would cost 6500 to hire, way more than the money you'd get from ransoming.  And even lords who absolutely adore you (100 Relation) would take that -10 hit and end up costing 1500 to hire.

I think that each faction's patrol type armies should assist the Lords in battle like other lords do- I attacked a Swadian lord who was right next to a swadian patrol, yet the patrol did not join the battle.

I dont know why it only just occurred to me, but what about another formation button?

Basically, you tell the troops to brace spears, and they keep the spears braced until you give them another order.

Yeah, I just want a line of pikemen ready forcavalry charges ^^

Thuellai said:
Possible equation for the bribe amount:  6000 + -50 x Relation (so that when multiplied against negative relations, it adds to the cost, but against positive relations, it moves the bribe down).  This way, most lords (those you've captured only once and never met before) would cost 6500 to hire, way more than the money you'd get from ransoming.  And even lords who absolutely adore you (100 Relation) would take that -10 hit and end up costing 1500 to hire.

Add a zero and I agree. It must be hugely expensive. It must be worth their while, to change compeletly, and a option we wont jump into too quickly.

The only way I see allowing a lord to jump faction to the player without having their kingdom completely defeated is if they also jump away from the player's faction on occasion.  I can understand needing someone to help defend and patrol while you try to defeat a faction, but hopefully the companions will be able to fill that void when I get finished writing that in.

Jinnai I recently discovered wings 3d and like playing around with it. I'm a novice and haven't made much yet, but if I have time I'm planning to make a war-cleaver model, without the textures(I'm bad at texturing) which you can add to Native Expansion if you like.

Bunduqdari said:
Jinnai I recently discovered wings 3d and like playing around with it. I'm a novice and haven't made much yet, but if I have time I'm planning to make a war-cleaver model, without the textures(I'm bad at texturing) which you can add to Native Expansion if you like.

Could you screenshot it?

Also, neither of us can texture. :???:

Back
Top Bottom