Suggestion - the garnison recruitment system, almost good.

Users who are viewing this thread

LioneI

Regular
In my last playthrough, I have faced this annoying feature with garnison recrutement. I had a lot of fiefs and they all kept recruiting new recruits to my garrisoned troops, which I couldn't afford to maintain. Therefore, I started to limit the "Party Wage" of my garnisons so they won't recruit more. But it ended up being a lot harder than I taught.

Basically, limiting the garnison recrutement of your fiefs with "Party Wage" is not effective for 2 reasons.
sEhZ1aE.png

1. Your garnison wages do change a lot :
- If you have a training field in your castle/city, troops will upgrade over time.
- if you add or remove troops from garnison
- If you assign a new governor with wage buffs
And every time, you have to manually change the new wage limit. Otherwise, if you have a lot of fiefs, they will all recruit daily and you can end up with a surplus of troops that you can't afford to maintain.

2. You can't set the "Party Wage" limit more than 2000, which means that if your garnison wage is more that 2000, it will keep recruiting new troops to your garnison.

Then, if your garnison wage surpasses your "limit wage" (which happens very often). The next day, your troops will start to randomly desert.
nbIfAov.png

This micromanagement is super annoying in the late game, would be good if we could manage our garnisons with an alternative way.
I'm suggesting to add a new option like "Stop recruiting new troops to garnison"

Sorry for perfect English.

Yeah, a Dev said they'll propose that only the lowest tier units will desert 1st, which will be a start. I still think a NO button would be really good, so we can just manage out garrison normally sometimes, we often don't need a trickle of recruits coming in but want to add. remove and level up troops with out having to mess with the wage slider.

IMO it's another case of mechanic that's okay for the robot npcs but horrible for the the player. NPC factions make no effort to properly garrison or maintain thier towns and have no ability to use 1 type of troops effectively over another in battle, so it's fine for them to just endlessly pile in garbage troops and bleed out extra troops randomly. But the player does everything the opposite if they know what they're doing. Garrison's have just the amount of t3 troops to have +security building while also having food stock+, troops are what the player intends to use as replacement troops if need be.

Yeah, a Dev said they'll propose that only the lowest tier units will desert 1st, which will be a start. I still think a NO button would be really good, so we can just manage out garrison normally sometimes,
Agree, don't need to overcomplicate things with lowest tier deserting stuff, just a little no more recruits bouton would be good.

IMO it's another case of mechanic that's okay for the robot npcs but horrible for the the player.
Wait a second... is this how it works..? player and AI have the same "tools"?
I don't know what to think about this, It sounds awesome but now that I think about it maybe the game would have been better without this concept of putting ai and the player on the same level.

I don't know what to think about this, It sounds awesome but now that I think about it maybe the game would have been better without this concept of putting ai and the player on the same level.
You're about five years too late with that, lol

Yeah from what I heard and seen, anything you can do, the AI can also. (when is the proper use for NPC instead of AI and vise versa?) It honestly does sound like a cool concept though. A true even playing ground where it takes skill and luck to rise to the top. Yet it doesn't really work out like that since the ai is kinda stupid.

I highly recommend the mod that JamesTime49 put forwarded. I don't know how well it works for the new patch but for 1.5.9 it is a life saver. You can also cheat a tiny tiny bit if you're feeling lazy. Plus the enemy does get the benefits too, so after a while castles and towns are properly fortified. If a bit starved

Yeah, a Dev said they'll propose that only the lowest tier units will desert 1st, which will be a start. I still think a NO button would be really good, so we can just manage out garrison normally sometimes, we often don't need a trickle of recruits coming in but want to add. remove and level up troops with out having to mess with the wage slider.

IMO it's another case of mechanic that's okay for the robot npcs but horrible for the the player. NPC factions make no effort to properly garrison or maintain thier towns and have no ability to use 1 type of troops effectively over another in battle, so it's fine for them to just endlessly pile in garbage troops and bleed out extra troops randomly. But the player does everything the opposite if they know what they're doing. Garrison's have just the amount of t3 troops to have +security building while also having food stock+, troops are what the player intends to use as replacement troops if need be.

Yea nah. I don't want to see a constant stream of desertions. Honestly, with all their talk about avoiding complexity, you'd think a "No more recruiting" button would be perfect for them.

I left a Battannian city I owned with no limit and 80 troops... I forgot about the city because it was miles from the front where I was pinned down... checked back in a couple of years later and found nearly a hundred mixed Fians and Highborns. This limit thing seems to have created a noble troop making machine. I'm not going to complain. that many Fians in an army make it virtually invulnerable.

If you hover over garrison wage slider it says:
"If limit is lower than current wage, party will not recruit troops until wage is reduced to the limit, If limit is higher than current wage, party will keep recruiting"

There is nothing about reducing garrison on its own to limit set by player. So if limit is set to 1000, current wage is 1100 there shouldn't be any desertion. It works fine for mobile parties but is bugged for garrisons.

Still, just checkbox stop recruitment + stop upgrading would be nice.

is it just me who get desertions even if the limit is above of the wages costs?
Nope there's something wrong . I had it eventually stop when I set the limit even higher although I can't be 100% sure nothing left as I'm going by the -garrison stats on the town info and can't physically go into all town and count every day.

Back
Top Bottom