SP - World Map Suggestion: Horses should be fed

Users who are viewing this thread

Horses should consume food, grain would be a perfect candidate. There has already been confusion about the horse mechanic by the OP in this thread https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/some-mechanics-breaking-the-single-player.406106/ but I think the horse mechanic is awesome, I don't think we need fundamental changes to it. The only thing missing is that they consume food thereby limit how many you can reasonably field as food consumption in a big army is already very steep. And should be of course!

No. Then we'd literally never be able to fight bandits.

Also Calvary are hardly OP. They get mowed the hell down by archers swarms at have 1/2 the upkeep cost and none of the investment.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

It is indeed tedious, having to always buy food. That's why many mods had autobuy food options and whatnot. If you don't ever get tired of it, well you're just a rare breed.

I don't get your second paragraph. As some of us have pointed out, it's not realistic either because horses graze. They only need to be fed if you keep them in one place.

If you want something that is not tedious, play GTA. M&B has a strategy, the community is hardcore (it has always been, perhaps now, that they have brought it out at the perfect time, there are many upstarts, but it is a realistic game). If you have too many horses you will have to buy more food. Right now I have an infinity of horses because I don't need to feed them, so well, it's free to have them, why don't you have them? They must balance that.

I don't get it, I have a W men strong men party, those consume an X amount of grain every day, I have an Y amount of horses, they consume a Z amount of grain every day. I buy (X + Z) * 30 to have a 30 day supply. I don't even calculate it in game, I just buy "a lot" and the game even shows you for how many days you have food. I just buy some more. I already carry around 100 tons of grain and various other foods, that's a lot and how does buying more make the game tedious?

Also why not a fixed amount of gold fee per day paid together with salaries for your men, then you don't need to do anything extra?

Horses must consume food. They are designed for it in-game, and I think it's clear. Let's just give Taleworlds a little time to implement it. For those who don't want to feed their horses, well, why don't they play multiplayer?

If you want something that is not tedious, play GTA. M&B has a strategy, the community is hardcore (it has always been, perhaps now, that they have brought it out at the perfect time, there are many upstarts, but it is a realistic game). If you have too many horses you will have to buy more food. Right now I have an infinity of horses because I don't need to feed them, so well, it's free to have them, why don't you have them? They must balance that.
I get that this adds a tiny bit more responsibility to running a party. But there needs to be trade offs. You want better men and equipment, you pay more money. You want more men in your party, more food and money. You want to buy a workshop, well then you pay X amount now for Z amount of gold daily. Should just take gold out of the game completely and put no limitations on the players choices. Because I can tell you, worrying about money is bad enough in real life, why the hell do I want to budget and hold myself back in a game?! If you want a deathfest simulator then you should play multiplayer. But the single player game is supposed to "immerse" you in the world. And not having to feed the 800 horses I have because I keep getting 50 after a big battle doesn't make sense at all to me.

I am so sick to see this topic again. They won't take "No" as an answer. Every time someone reject their idea, they just start a new thread to do it again. So I have two suggestion to it.

1. Let's make the game more realistic than ever. Not only horse should eat food, they should need water as well. Add water to the game and make men and horses need it alike. And you know what, horses need salt as well. They will sweat if you put them on load and their food cannot provide so much mineral. If you don't give them salt, they will not drink and dehydrate themselves.So run out of food, water or salt, boom, all your horses die and all cavalry degrade to foot soldier. And we should not only look at the horses. You men need food as well. And cooked food I mean. So every party should stop from time to time to cook. And we should introduce nutrition system into the game too. Having limited variation of food not only lower the morale, and will be lethal if you are in war. Just because it is medieval doesn't mean you can torture your men, they have human rights! And after all the diet issue, let's go to consumable. All parties should consume oil and linen, may be iron as well, similar to food. It is not stainless steel or titanium swords you are using, they will rust and your clothes/armor will wear out. So all the material is needed to keep your weapon in shape. If you run out of those, all your units degrade to peasants and looters. There are still so much to add for the game to be more realistic, but I think these will give us a good starting point.

2. Add a mod or option to remove all mountable item and cavalry from the game. This should satisfy the horse-haters to not bring the issue again.

Horses could be handled as some sort of party members, the problem comes from that they're handled like items, and thus you can stack millions of them, the ideal solution for me should be horses stacking in a separate category in the party screen, you'd have your men, your prisonners, and your horses. And like prisonners, the max number of them should be determined by how many men you have, and thus can handle safely without them vanishing in the wilderness.

Making them consume food doesn't balance anything, and will further screw the AI's food supply management.Also if you're at the point of having 200 of each type of horse in your inventory, you don't care about food anymore...

Of course would require a different horse equipment menu / ui

That´s true, but only in some lands of the world, not in the desert or in the snow. And if you want besiege a castle, or wait in a city, you must feed your horses. But is a good observation. But in the supply lines of all armies the food of the animals has always been taken into account, surely it is for something.

Last edited:
Horses could be handled as some sort of party members, the problem comes from that they're handled like items, and thus you can stack millions of them, the ideal solution for me should be horses stacking in a separate category in the party screen, you'd have your men, your prisonners, and your horses. And like prisonners, the max number of them should be determined by how many men you have, and thus can handle safely without them vanishing in the wilderness.

Making them consume food doesn't balance anything, and will further screw the AI's food supply management.Also if you're at the point of having 200 of each type of horse in your inventory, you don't care about food anymore...

I didn't have to care about food either. If I did, I would've had to pay attention to how much I had/needed.

Could put a cap on how many you can have, just like the party limit? That way we don't have to make them consume food. Which wouldn't put more strain on the AI, and would limit the amount you could have.

I think your propose is the best of all. A reasonable limit for horses, and the problem of excessive numbers of horses is over. And so we will not need to think about what they eat or stop eating.

Right, this is what these 'immersion' types don't seem to understand, if you introduce it, the AI has to deal with it too, and while it's a nuisance for the player, it will literally cripple the AI and make it far worse than they could imagine. The AI already has catastrophic issues with keeping its armies fed, they literally starve within a day or two of creating an army and literally bleed men as they run across the map, so much so, that they have to stop in the middle of sieges and what not because they literally lose half of their forces due to logistics alone.

Totally agree.

PD: I have a lot of horses since I left them locked so as not to sell them and they accumulated. When I walk with a few infantry troops my speed is good but mediocre, so apparently the benefit of these is not infinite.

Last edited:
-1 when did this become horse simulator ... disagree, horse need food - horse moral low = variety on food - more money wasted - village need to produce more - more things to worry about your party, lord less talking more raiding = disaster , then you going to want horse sleep , tired, caring too much cargo, smith the horse shoe for better mobility , a place for horse to do the number 2, walk and follow you in town and city. and brush his/her hair. Then give it a name .....

Last edited:
The game definitely needs more money sinks.

I was wondering about horses in my party and grain and I see now after playing a few days that horses dont consume grain. There's a fine line though because requiring 50-100 grain a day for all of our horses would kill game play because of constantly having to buy grain and having all that extra weight to carry around for multiple days of travel.

Simply have each horse count as one more person drawing on the food supply. The actual difference between the amount of food a horse and human eats can be explained away as grazing when you stop, just like the game ignores stopping to sleep/eat/maintenance.

+1 for horse eating meat and cheese and fish :wink:
would be more accurate if horse would feed on grain, of if we had another kind of supply for horses.

But in general i'm against the idea of feeding your horse, as most of the time they just eat on graze.

If such thing is implemented, then horse need special food, not wine and meat from butchered horse ?? ?
So this should not be realized as just penalizing human player for a big herd. Also it needs to fit in the current system.

But again
+1, Agree. Horses need to be fed but this must also apply to enemy AI as well otherwise don't do it.
Grassy lands should require less food compared to desert and snow. Camels should require less in desert.

And this has sense too
-1 when did this become horse simulator ... disagree, horse need food - horse moral low = variety on food - more money wasted - village need to produce more - more things to worry about your party, lord less talking more raiding = disaster , then you going to want horse sleep , tired, caring too much cargo, smith the horse shoe for better mobility , a place for horse to do the number 2, walk and follow you in town and city. and brush his/her hair. Then give it a name .....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom