[Suggestion] Continued fighting after fallen

Users who are viewing this thread

froggyluv

Grandmaster Knight
I was kind of surprised this didn't make it into WB as it's pretty much standard in M&B mods. I'm talking about the ability to let the battle play out it's natural course after you've fallen so that your knights can dispose of those pesky looters the legitimate way rather than auto-calc while letting the player view the carnage from ghost view.

froggyluv said:
I was kind of surprised this didn't make it into WB as it's pretty much standard in M&B mods.
Surprised?  I was outright stunned.  Amazing TW didn't take the hint from almost every mod made for m&b including fighting after falling.

I agree. This feature is mostly useful not because you can fly and watch how your troops fight, but to let them fight normally, because auto-battle is a friggin slaughter (no, really, one time I lost 2 vaegir guards while fighting 13 looters =/ , just because I was too weak to fight myself) .
Another hint: shorten the pause between killing last enemy and victory announcement. It takes about 2 seconds to over the battle, and sometimes it may be quite annoying.

Maybe, assuming their intention is to make the player cautious, they could try and keep the difficulty up by having your troops take a severe morale hit when you fall.  Enough to have the first two tiers of units flee the field almost immediately.  That way armies of cannon fodder will be useless without command and control.  Elites though should already know how to fight and should stay in along with the tier beneath them maybe.  The middle tier units will be wavering and prone to run if the battle turns on them.  Dunno if this is implementable as I'm not sure how the morale system actually works or if it even differentiates between unit types or tiers.

It would be nice to maybe just have a global toggle or checkbox to "simulate all battles in 3D" that would play them out with the player having a spectator camera only when down or not present.  That way, the same functionality can also be used for battles that the player declines to participate in. 

Yes please! If you still want it to be discouraged, just disable commands once the player dies... but I've generally justified that by imagining the player character would have instructed his men before the battle, or that the companions and top tier troops still alive would be competent commanders.

Failing that, are there any modders around who know a fairly easy way to make the game only retreat after player death when you press tab? Preferably a text file change, since the module files haven't been released.

One change I made that helps a bit when you get knocked out: change to "player_wounded_treshold = 0" in the Native module.ini.

Annoying today especially when I was defending a castle with 80 odd xbowmen against 800. I took out quite a bit but got hit with a stray arrow and died, the remaining troops just get slaughtered even though they are defending and have the advantage.

I usually charge ahead of my troops and plant my lance in the enemy lords face, making him the battles first fallen (It's a thing of mine and after a few years of trying for this in every fight you're in, you get a pretty good success rate at it, there's a science to it <3).

Yet, I don't see the enemy soldiers running for cover, unlike my mommies boys.

Back
Top Bottom