[SUGGESTION]Change Mounted Slashing Animation

Users who are viewing this thread

Heck, I've had the animation hit me in front of the horse, more toward the opposite side of the swing. It arcs far too much. While we're on the subject, you also shouldn't be able to stab a spear straight through your horse's head and hit somebody.

I can't overstate how pleased I am that someone else noticed this.

I had the same experience as Frank. Getting "slashed" magically through the neck of some bastard's horse while he charges me head on is a great way to piss me off in-game. Good thing I keep my mouth shut, or I'd have been banned ten times ten for the profanity I only throw at my monitor.

Could you get away with this in single player before? Something tells me no; the animations didn't go that far forward (though you could still stab through your horse's head, which always bugged me).

I'm all for bumping someone from one side and slashing them, which I'm pretty sure everyone did in old Native. But getting away with killing someone with a two handed axe from horseback without correctly calling what side you should be swinging from is ludicrous.

To keep things consistent, you shouldn't be able to swing through your horse's face any more than you can thrust through your teammate's ass.

exactly. While I like the fact that you have more control over your swing from a horse, I don't think that's worth the ridiculousness of slicing/stabbing through your own horse and doing no damage.

Something more along the lines of the Native 1.011 swing from mount would work great.

ares007 said:
Something more along the lines of the Native 1.011 swing from mount would work great.

Let me throw my vote in with this.

It seems currently, from a horse, sabres can't hit anything unless it is right in front of them.  That kinda ruins the joy of horseback fighting, which is all about swooping in from the side, not head-on.  It is terribly unintuitive.

So that's why, for all the five times I've played cavalry in Warband, I've only ever had one successful swing with a sword. That explains it - I was relying on my intuition (or, for that matter, logic - in any event, the system as it stands is wholly illogical)

Personally, I'm all for reverting every animation back to 1.011. Just about every swing animation in Warband looks more like a Hollywood exaggeration than anything that would have shown up in medieval combat.

Johnny Morphine said:
Personally, I'm all for reverting every animation back to 1.011. Just about every swing animation in Warband looks more like a Hollywood exaggeration than anything that would have shown up in medieval combat.

And another vote for that too.... :wink:

Frankly, the only old native animation that maybe needed improvement was the one-handed sword on foot.  The others were generally quite intuitive.

Well... >.> <.< The native animations were pretty good, yes. But jeez, there's something about them that doesn't seem natural. (Yes, I mean for just 4 directions and not completely realistic combat.) While the new animations are over-done, the native ones were under-done.

Johnny Morphine said:
So that's why, for all the five times I've played cavalry in Warband, I've only ever had one successful swing with a sword. That explains it - I was relying on my intuition (or, for that matter, logic - in any event, the system as it stands is wholly illogical)

I am 100% in support of this idea!

[quote author=Commodore_Frank]
Heck, I've had the animation hit me in front of the horse, more toward the opposite side of the swing. It arcs far too much. While we're on the subject, you also shouldn't be able to stab a spear straight through your horse's head and hit somebody.
[/quote]

With the new animations, there's no way you'd hit anything if you couldn't swing through your horse.  Most of the 2handers have the same reach a cleaver did in 1.0.

Maybe we should make a specific suggestion thread to revert to the old animation but still have the 2-handed sideways strikes take a diagonal path (I really like that  :grin:).

I wouldn't be partial to the devs taking the old animations and making them look slightly more natural (the thrust animations are fine though).

ares007 said:
Maybe we should make a specific suggestion thread to revert to the old animation but still have the 2-handed sideways strikes take a diagonal path (I really like that  :grin:).

I wouldn't be partial to the devs taking the old animations and making them look slightly more natural (the thrust animations are fine though).

No, definitely trash the new two-hander animations. I never want to see a greatsword get swung like a baseball bat again in my life. It's ridiculous. On top of that, it can hit someone standing behind it for full damage. See this thread for a better explanation:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,76645.0.html

I like way the new slash itself is a bit more natural in the last half of the animation, and I do think the two-handed animations in 1.011 were a just a little subdued, but believable.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't look close enough at your quote. Seems you and I are on the same page here after all!

i wonder if the guy who acted out the animations for mocap reads these threads as a single tear rolls down his cheek

also yeah i want old animations back

Booya! said:
i wonder if the guy who acted out the animations for mocap reads these threads as a single tear rolls down his cheek

also yeah i want old animations back

:mrgreen:

The devs should look at people who practice Historical European Martial Arts because they have realistic technique. Of course, the animations might have to be toned down a bit because otherwise it might get too fast for gameplay  :razz:

Well, at least the devs should get the "wind-up" positions from the real guards used by real knights in the medieval era. That would be awesome  :cool:

Sorry, I didn't look close enough at your quote. Seems you and I are on the same page here after all!

no problem  :mrgreen:

Khalid ibn Walid said:
ares007 said:

Let me throw my vote in with this.

It seems currently, from a horse, sabres can't hit anything unless it is right in front of them.  That kinda ruins the joy of horseback fighting, which is all about swooping in from the side, not head-on.  It is terribly unintuitive.

The warhammers can ^^

Back
Top Bottom