[Suggestion] Cavalry gets less and less fun each patch

Users who are viewing this thread

I rather like where cav is at now -- Perhaps still a little excessively vulnerable to archers. I'd like to see the horse-headshot multiplier removed or weakened to help here. Unless I'm crazy and it doesn't exist...

Anyway, I've been consistently doing very well with lancing, with only occasional couching to shield-break or on an armored target. The white arabian horse is best as long as you can keep it alive, capable of both fighting infantry and avoiding enemy cavalry. I often have to lance someone 2-4 times to get a kill, but that's what makes it fun, and challenging.

There are still some odd things, trying to use a sword is unintuitive as many have pointed out. Also, the great lance is so slow you can start the attack, horsebump someone, and then stab past their block--Sometimes keeping the momentum you had making it a kill. I've run into people managing to manual block lance thrusts from behind them, perhaps due to the strike going over their shoulder, or extending too far around the side.

Quertyman is definitely on the right track.

Everyone seems to want to be able to play any horse with the same tactics.

As Nord, I use Saddle/Hunter. I easily outmanoeuvre any non-HA.

I wouldn't mind if hunter's price was dropped to match coursier.  That way you can choose between speed or toughness.  Both horses have different abilities.  One shouldn't cost more than the other.  I say this assuming that hunter will never be given extreme charge damage.  If it ever was then it would become far superior to a coursier.  But I think it should stay as it is now.  It won't rear isn't insanely well armored but it will take a couple hits.  So then you have hunter for sword and boarders and courser for lancers.  Equal cost for each at 600.

QFT.

CtrlAltDe1337 said:
Qwertyman said:
I think we just have differing playstyles here.  I can easily take on a courair lancer as a hunter lancer,  you just simply don't charge head on,  take him from the sides.
Well of course you can; you can take out a courser on a warhorse or saddle horse too.  But you are at a disadvantage, and an equally skilled player will destroy you, because (barring skill differences) the courser gives a big advantage.

and i don't know how you can say a hunter has no more agility than a corsair-  they can out turn them with ease,  even if the corsair slows to the same speed.  and I have played against good archers, and do regularly-  again, its about mobility-  weave and dodge unpredictably and they wont be able to lead their shots at all.  I imagine the only reason your corsair players fared better against your archers was because they got less shots off before they reached them,  but put into practice the archers will have a lot more to worry about than a horse charging directly at them from the horizon.
Look at the stats.  Unless something changed and I didn't see it, maneuverability is the same, and speed on the hunter is much slower.  I realize that moving at slower speeds allows you to turn sharper, but a courser can simply slow down and turn at the same speed.  And I must disagree with your assessment of archerfire.  Go up against some pro archers and your hunter will be Swiss cheese in a few seconds.  It simply can't move fast enough to dodge as well.  You can dodge with any horse, but the courser is by far the easiest.  I don't think you are understanding the issue here.

Perhaps I havent played against many skilled lancers,  but i do play Warband a lot (too much tbh :razz:)  and from my experience,  coursair lancers are not an issue for me-      im not saying they are weak, by any standards-  but I personaly have no problem dodging their charges,    I tend not to look at the stats of the horses and judge them from how they handle-  and I am surprised to hear hunters agility is lower,    but nonetheless,  the fact that a charging coursair has spend a second or two slowing down before he can move as agile as me gives me at least a small advantage.

Fair enough,  I did say that coursairs are much more suited to lancers and that still stands,    but the second you want anything but a lance from horseback the hunter is vastly better.      my point is that they are no way near as weak as you say,  sure they are weak for your lancing playstyle-  but from my horseback swordsmanship playstyle coursairs are useless.

to go against what I just said,  I would like to see both coursair and hunter stats to be changed so they are completely equal cost wise,  and to make the chocie a simple one between speed and toughness/agility.

Couched lance mechanics in the .ini file are botched. This is yet another wonder of vanilla combat; realistically, if you wanted to couch your lance or jump your horse, you needed speed and room. In M&B you can kill someone while crawling with a lance and jump from an almost stationary stance.

Back
Top Bottom