[Suggestion/Balancing] Fall Damage

Should one of these suggestions be added?

• Yes to all

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Yes 1.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes 2.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Yes 3.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Yes 1. and 2.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Yes 1. and 3.

• Yes 2. and 3.

• No to all

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

joelturuz

Knight at Arms
I've been playing the new patch recently, and been getting used to the recently implemented fall damage. In my opinion it's great to finally get this in game, but it feels like it needs some tweaking.
I've got two suggestions:

Increase fall damage a little. Defenders jumping off the castle walls to slaughter the siege tower pushers still seems to be an issue. If the jumper lost 1/3 or so of their hp when jumping off, they might not be jumping off the walls so gladly.

Make fall damage force players to fall to the ground, just like in the blunt weapon knockdown effect. At the moment I've jumped off buildings 5 meters tall, and barely taken any damage or falling down, thus allowing me to cut down several enemies before they can react. This is more of an issue when player uses the 1-hit kill weapons.

EDIT: Poll reset so UsF's suggestion could be included. It's suggestion 3.

This has been a major issue for me since i got into the beta (a long while ago now),  it would make ladders and stairs much more important strategic points,  on castle 1 for example the stairs down to the courtyard would become a great bottleneck fight,  as players wouldnt be able to jump down without taking heavy damage.

1. The defender already lose 1/4 - 1/3 of their hit points when jumping down. It's not free mind you. Fall damage might be increased just a little anyway. Stairs are already important, and that is cool.

2. It's debatable, but i think it would be fair thing if they would be punished bit more. Some kind of immobilising effect would be nice (longer than currently) linked with stagger. It would be great if there would be difference between jumping from and been kicked off the roof (unwilling person take more damage and hit the ground, just like after mace hit).

Jumping from high places should be deadly and if you fall down from a high place, you should fall to the ground and probably receive a movement malus for some time.
People should be forced to use the gates of a castle, rather than the walls as an exit, so if they want to attack the people outside, they'd have to combine their strength and make a push for it, not randomly rain down on them to attack without opening themself for a counter.

UsF, be so kind to read his first post. He said that he want them to lose 1/3 of their hp. They already lose such amount.

People already use doors instead of jumping from walls, sure damage should be increased further.

AoC said:
UsF, be so kind to read his first post. He said that he want them to lose 1/3 of their hp. They already lose such amount.

People already use doors instead of jumping from walls, sure damage should be increased further.

I read his post and I want people to have more damage than specified in the polls, e.g. dead people on Castle 1 and 3 if you jump from the walls there. Castle 2 is debatable, if you could survive that with low health, but I think not. Doors, ladders and gates should be the only valid exit. It would also prevent people from rushing down the wall inwards to quickly protect the flag, so it works both ways.

I also added the suggestion to slowdown after jumping down a high height to the second suggestion.

Edit: We could of course also go as far as to add fall damage and a fall damage modifier to the server options or as a console parameter that can be modified.

Poll should now be reset. Please make sure you vote the right one this time :smile:

EDIT: Adding UsF's suggestion (I hope you don't mind)

Gah, the poll's starting to look a bit confusing. Too bad I din't make it so that you could choose more than 1 :oops:

I like 2. If you've fallen far enough to hurt yourself, you'll probably fall down.

I think damage is fine though. Jumping from castle walls seems to kill me at least 90% of the time (can't tell you how many suicides I had last night from forgetting about the increased fall damage :razz:).

I think the damage from falling should be much more serious. Falling from castle walls should cause death or at least take most of HP's. Falling from more than 3 meters should cause an injury (twisted ankle, broken leg) which would make one unable to move or at least limit one's speed. I'd love to see these changes in the game :smile:

fijau said:
I think the damage from falling should be much more serious. Falling from castle walls should cause death or at least take most of HP's. Falling from more than 3 meters should cause an injury (twisted ankle, broken leg) which would make one unable to move or at least limit one's speed. I'd love to see these changes in the game :smile:

I love that kind of thing, but since there aren't any other instances of it in this game I don't think it should be added just for falling damage.

I do agree that dropping off the castle walls should always kill you. Even if you didn't actually die from such a fall, you'd surely be out of the fight with broken legs or unconscious. Jumping off castle walls should just be a sure way to remove yourself from the battle.

It would simply be necessary for gameplay reasons. Before .710 every defending infantry player was just hopping out of the castle and bringing a kind of team deathmatch to the attackers. While the current version is already better, I believe it's not enough to change this behaviour. It would be great if the defenders would have to open the doors if they want to engage the defenders, leaving a weak spot behind.

AoC said:
1. The defender already lose 1/4 - 1/3 of their hit points when jumping down. It's not free mind you. Fall damage might be increased just a little anyway. Stairs are already important, and that is cool.

2. It's debatable, but i think it would be fair thing if they would be punished bit more. Some kind of immobilising effect would be nice (longer than currently) linked with stagger. It would be great if there would be difference between jumping from and been kicked off the roof (unwilling person take more damage and hit the ground, just like after mace hit).

Do they? I've jumped off many of the walls in the game and have noticed no damage whatsoever! On Castle 3 for instance, jumping down to the flag courtyard doesn't seem to do any damage and it would be likely to instantly hospitalise you in real life. Is it only on some servers?

Anyway, it obviously isn't enough because it doesn't deter people from a) jumping off walls to attack besiegers; and b) ignoring stairs once in the castle and therefore wasting the great strategic potential of much of the map.

Another regular issue is that if someone is losing a fight on the walls, they will choose to jump 20 feet to the ground to avoid being killed. What valid tactic would be affected by higher fall damage (or any damage, I haven't noticed any at all)?

Siege games, while already fun, would be considerably better with these changes I think.

Castle 3 would be VASTLY improved by fall damage,  those stairwells would become very important strategic positions, wheras currently nobody even uses them as its far easier to leap 30 times your own hight down to the courtyard ninja-style

Just say no to high wall jumpers.  a good compromise would be to decrease the amount of fall damage at lower heights but have it increase exponentially above a certain height (i.e. castle walls). 

Back
Top Bottom