Strats against Omerli ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Selvhan

Knight
I am playing as a lion throne vassal and i am currently getting owned every single fight by the OMerli. I was thinking the vaegir were strong but now i faced the Omerli and the only thing i can do is to shoot them but even there, i got head shoted by the HEAVY horse archer or by one of there gunman. And when i engage them in melee... well they have lots of halberdier... so i get kill.

Any advise ? ( Using the lion THrone and mercs only. ) Don`t tell me to get the states units pls lol

this could help

the ormeli horse men charge very fast and they are very strong so what you must do is put your archers on a hill or a slope or a dent in the ground anything that is higher then the surronding lands. then tell your infantry to stand super close and stand ground. then charge them by yourself. I would suggest a hand cannon but if you dont have that any gun will work run at them kill a few and then most of the rest should follow you then run in a back and forth line in front of your archers ( they will slowly kill some of them) you should shoot at them to. how to avoid arrows i know it might sound stupid but zig zag. and dont charge the jannisarys head on!!

Tell me how this works

Thanks

You will want lots of pikes, as well as archers, not the gunners since they're a bit inaccurate at range, and you don't exactly want to go near those Janissary with their elephant guns.

Yeah that's what i was doing. Setting my archers/gunmen on top of a hill and setting my infantry to make them very close a little bit in front of my ranged troops. But a 400 vs 400 troops won`t be an easy fight. I think my main problem is The AI with me. They charge heads down ... but even 50 brigadier got teared a part by the omerli infantry. I Think their halberdier soldier are the main problem ( Infantry vs infantry ). Good range, fast and well armored, those guy are hard to kill for the AI. 

Also i play the game at the maximum of difficulty.. maybe i should try the 2 handed-infantry of the swadian army... but i`m ****ed if Mondo the first declare war to the swadian !

But i really think my problem are my allies.. D`sparil, would it be possible to add a way for the player to control every allied troops ? Because they are really bad in tactic lol

I really wish you would speak proper English. I really do.
Oh well, your probably a foreign language speaker, and you'll do the usual explanation that they didn't have your language on the list...  :roll:

Anyways, what are you talking about? I just have the infantry go first, soak up the arrows and bullets with their shields, then quick charge in the heavy cavalry, knock out the front line of their troops, have the infantry support the cavalry, thin them out, and kill off the last of the infantry, then use the heavy cavalry to chase the horse archers around the map for the next two hours...

Of course, the Lion Throne's strength is in its flexibility, so it can pretty much mold its armies into any fighting style you wish. Want horse archers? Use the Ptians. Want a Imperial State-style firing line? Use Gunther-Piedmont gunners. How about some Javelins? Thats what the Mylesian horsemen are for. And finally, if you love big, shiny, and heavy, you got the Brigadier Legions. Combination of Heavy Cavalry, Heavy Infantry with shields = slaughter  :grin:

Heh i am usually speaking french... That`s why i have a hard time trying to write something good :razz:

But tell me Tiberius, what`s your battle size limit ? Do you play everything at the highest difficulty ?

Because i CAN`T Simply ignore the horse archer. When i order my cavalry to charge, supported by my cavalry, i always loose the battle for a simple reason : The HEAVY horse archer drop their bow and charge my troops from behind. So my troops are stuck behind heavy armored knight ( the heavy horse archer using their melee weapon ) and the halberdier.

Maybe i should try to lure the horse archer away .. but the last time i tried that, an arrow just hit me in the neck and i was knocked out. lol

My battlesize is set to 200 .

Maybe D`sparil should equip the radiant cross brigadier with some military hammer and that would be better. I think their sword aren`t powerful enough against strong armor.

I am currently using a balanced saber and i usually deal no damage. ( power strike 4 and str 12 ) .

His English is a lot better than many native English speaker's typing, I think  :mrgreen:
Maybe it takes a bit of decoding, but hey, if the guy speaks this well, I say let him practice his English on us.  Most of the people I met in France had the patience to deal with my pathetic tour-book level French.

Anyway, to deal with the Ormeli, I find that fighting fire with fire is the best strategy.  Drop your current army at a castle and go recruit Ptian/Mylesian cavalry and Straditiots (however that's spelled) from the cities.  It will take a while (since horse archer battles almost always take longer than melee battles), but you'll get the job done.

It's also a good idea to retain a core of pikes/archers/gunners, in case you get de-horsed.  Always have a plan B, and somewhere to run to.

I find that, generally, pikemen will EVENTUALLY wear a horse archer army down.  Usually the HA's ride in close enough for the pikes to poke 'em and either unhorse or kill them outright.

An alternative strategy is to use Imperial State cavalry, who are generally light enough to at least keep up with the Ormeli HA's, although you'll take casualties with them, since they are kind of sucky.  Uhalns are preferable, but dragoons are good too, since they have pistols.

@ Sheogorath : I was currently trying to build an army with the states but.. gun toting bandit raped them all lol .. Also, it`s hard to siege their castle .. they have lots of sniper, with bows and arrows. I can barely make it to the ladder with a tower shield. And when i look behind me, i`m kinda alone ... lol

But when i look at this situation from a different angle, i am happy to see that i am finally having trouble. Normally you can just "ride and slash" but in this mod, it`s quite hard sometime..  :roll:

Selvhan said:
@ Sheogorath : I was currently trying to build an army with the states but.. gun toting bandit raped them all lol .. Also, it`s hard to siege their castle .. they have lots of sniper, with bows and arrows. I can barely make it to the ladder with a tower shield. And when i look behind me, i`m kinda alone ... lol

But when i look at this situation from a different angle, i am happy to see that i am finally having trouble. Normally you can just "ride and slash" but in this mod, it`s quite hard sometime..  :roll:

Yeah, the IS is pretty godlike when on the defensive.  If you can keep the enemy from getting into close combat it's no challenge at all.

On the attack, though, under AI command, the IS couldn't take a cardboard box from a two year old.  Mostly because the AI just charges right into the gap and only pauses occasionally to shoot at you.  Makes this almost too easy :razz:

My advice is to let your men go in ahead of you.  Your person is far too valuable to risk as a meat shield, not to mention you can probably inflict more casualties than any ten of your men put together.  So position yourself nicely in the middle of the swarm until you get to the ladder, then call your men back to stand behind you so you dont get shoved OFF the ladder while charging...those things are way too narrow and the AI has no sense of taking turns.

I think the best strat against the Ormeli as with a Lion throne army is going heavy on ranged units, light on melee foot (preferably none). An army that has yet to really take significant loses against the Ormeli was 100 strong, consisting of the following: 1. 40 Gunther-Piedmont Gunners 2. 30 Kara-Khitan 3. 20 Ptian Cavalry 4. 10 Cavalry of the Radiant Cross
Technically, if you wanna count my companions (Lezalit, Artimenner, Matheld, and Nizar) and I, 3 more heavy cavalry and 2 more gunners.
First, I order the cavalry to charge.
Second, as I charge with the cavalry I select an appropriate hill to tell the ranged units to hold on.
Third and finally, I draw the battling cavalry over towards the high ground holding archers and gunners for the real slaughter to begin.

Also, all units that can be upgraded are mostly veteran.

i think the main problem is this:all the archers are shooting at u (one time i hid behind my line of gunmens and some sucker hit me to head through 20 of my units)......and if u die....thats end of a battle, because those cripples in your army simply cant won any battle on their own......

there r many ways depends on if u want a bloody way or jus a defensive way.

Bloody way just wait till the cavalry gets near and charge and continue running after them(not exactly the best move ever)

Defensive way:  stand on a hill but have prop lion throne infantry (the guys with shields, sorry their name too long for me to remember) stand close and as what someone has suggest just let them soak up the arrows but instead don't bother charging the enemy. they like to charge at u with a mace or sabre after they run out of arrows anyways, so bring a 2 hand high damage sword or a weapon that u know u can do enough damage and just kill their horse when their near then just let your guys kill him or you can kill them yourself.

Cavalry way: (i posted this before as a strategy against kherigit already) Get a load of cavalry doesn't matter if they got shields or not, just make sure they got a spear and have them follow you while u run around, doing some figure eights or crisscross running, anyways the strat is to have your guys couching the enemy down while they follow you.(do this strat on horse not on foot if u do on foot u will end up being couched)

Here is a quick and crappy image i made to show it.(its basically follow the leader and destroy whatever tries to interfere )

Cavalryscenario.jpg

I've been carrying the same army and I've yet to face anything that I can't beat.  I have about 70 state guards and 30 dopplesoldners.  I usually get around a 20-10 split in each battle with my followers.  Against the Ormeli I used my bow to take out the most annoying horse archers while I let my infantry fire at their infantry.  I'm around 90% difficulty.

Against any enemy cavalry that carry shields I usually use my bow to take our their horses.  This pretty much makes them easy pickings for my guards.

As Laurian, after nearly destroy the Lion Throne, the Ormeli are quite a problem in my game. They almost don't miss a shot with their damn bows, so gunners are pretty ineffective against them, while any 2-handed troop dies before they get close. Pikemen? They don't charge against infantery!
Testing with quick battle I managed to beat them with an army of Herreruelos, but that's too expensive!

Ormeli are pain in the arse, I avoid them on plains and valleys, but in the mountains just take the first hill, and keep your troops together, shoot them while they try to climb the hill. When you see the message "new enemies have arrived" no mattter what, take the hill agian and keep your troops close. I assume that you have some ranged units and infantry. Not even cavalry should be rushing in.

Back
Top Bottom