Strange problem (fixed)

Users who are viewing this thread

thesneakster

Grandmaster Knight
ok, i'll be breif. I had a copy of the origional RomeTW on my computer, patched to 1.3, but the CD broke, so i deleted the whole game folder. Now, i've gone and bought the gold edition (rome+babarian invasion). Now, when i go try to install it, it comes up saying that i've still got a previous version installed and to go uninstall it. so, i've spent the last 2 hours searching for anything and everything that was left behind. i can't find anything in search, and only one thing in add/remove programmes (i'm useing XP SP2).
Now here's the problem. it comes up with 'rome total war', but it doesn't take up any space. Now, if i go to change/remove, it does nothing, and there's no filepath given so i can delete the file.
So, any suggestions?

Two possibilities:

1. Search the registry for RTW entries and delete them. If that fails, try and find the installshield info (it's in a hidden folder and named in hex, so good luck!) and delete it.

2. Open the CD itself (explore) and double click Setup. Should install it.

Archonsod said:
Two possibilities:

1. Search the registry for RTW entries and delete them. If that fails, try and find the installshield info (it's in a hidden folder and named in hex, so good luck!) and delete it.

i'm not 100% sure what you mean there.... i did a search, if that's what you mean.

Archonsod said:
2. Open the CD itself (explore) and double click Setup. Should install it.

Its' in the setup that it tells me it's already been installed.

So am i stuffed or am i stuffed?

sneakey pete said:
i'm not 100% sure what you mean there.... i did a search, if that's what you mean.
Run regedit and search the registry for Rome or Total War
Directly from the setup.exe, or via the autorun?
It's possible, I've done it myself. Can't remember exactly how though :razz: If all else fails, contact RTW tech support and ask for a manual uninstall guide.

Archonsod said:
sneakey pete said:
Run regedit and search the registry for Rome or Total War

Umm... i'm a total noob. How do i do that?

Archonsod said:
Directly from the setup.exe, or via the autorun?

Yeah, via the setup.exe :sad:

Archonsod said:
It's possible, I've done it myself. Can't remember exactly how though :razz: If all else fails, contact RTW tech support and ask for a manual uninstall guide.

That's looking like quiet an appealing option right now

Archonsod said:
sneakey pete said:
Umm... i'm a total noob. How do i do that?

Start -> run -> regedit

Edit -> Search Registry

:oops: :smile:

okay... now to figure out the exact registry. I should be able to manage that i'm sure

I'm getting a bad feeling that i'm going to permantly screw up my computer somehow. I think i'll just contact tech support....

VALARLIGHT said:
i've had this problem so many times, can't remember what i did.

do you think you'd be able to rember in 12 hours time? :smile:

Of course, the question is, Why the F8Ck did they even put it in anyway. the reasoning why you can't install gold edition if you've already got regular R:TW install is beyond me.

Had the same problem, i inttalled the game again by starting the installation manually while exploring the CD

An4Sh said:
Had the same problem, i inttalled the game again by starting the installation manually while exploring the CD

yeah, but it's in the actuall installation that it stuffs up (eg, just before you select the filepath)

eh...umm..hmm, i looked it up somehow, give me a bit i'll look it up.

This answer is for an Advanced user. Please do not attempt the below solution if you are not comfortable editing the Registry. Damaging the Registry could result in very adverse effects to your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you are having problems uninstalling the game you can manually remove it from your machine. First it will be necessary to remove the registry keys the game creates. Please be cautious when working with the registry as it is very sensitive. Deleting the wrong thing can result in complete operating system failure.

1) Click Start then Run.
2) At the prompt type: REGEDIT. The registry editor will open.
Note - You can export the registry at this point from the 'file' menu. Highlight the root key (the top one) and save it somewhere safe. If anything goes wrong, XP can boot into safe mode without needing the registry, then you can simply double click to import the file
3) Click the "+" next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
4) Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
5) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
6) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
7) Click the "+" next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
:cool: Click the "+" next to SOFTWARE.
9) Click the "+" next to The Creative Assembly
10) Right-Click to delete the The Creative Assembly entry.
11) Close the registry editor.

Once the registry keys are removed, we'll need to remove the game files from your hard drive. These instructions assume you've installed the game in the default directory.
1) Double-click My Computer.
2) Double-click the C:\ drive.
3) Double-click Program Files.
4) Double-click Total War
4) Right-click on the Rome: Total War folder and choose delete.

Remove the RomeTW.ini file from your hard drive.
12) Click the Start button > Find (or Search) > Files & Folders.
13) Search your C:\ drive for a file named RomeTW.ini.
14) The file should be located in C:\WINDOWS.
15) Delete this file.
16) Reboot your machine. At this point the game is completely removed from your system.

(after that just reinstall)

thanks....

But.... i've done all that. and it still doesn't work :cry:

Would installing it on another computer and then putting the install onto a DVD then pasteing it onto this computer work?
otherwise i'll reformat tommorow (i think my computer needs it anyway, theres some spyware on there that somehow manages to avoid ZA pro.....)

Try this: Download the 1.3 patch again, and click it as if to install. The patch may tell you that RTW is already patched up to the latest version, which is interesting, considering the fact that you don't even have the game installed. Now; I think the patch may give you some options to whether or not you want to modify or remove it. Choose remove, or possibly modify. If you do either, the game should eventually figure out that you do not have the game installed, and give you an error message. Exit install, if neccessary remove any files it has installed.

Then you should be able to install the game. Had it happen to me once, and it worked for me. that's no guarantee, though.

I'll try anything at this stage. but since it's midnight over here, i'll try it in the mornin. (well, later this mornin)

nope. installed like everything was there. same with the uninstall.

I'm reformatting now, since i need to do it anyway.

oh For Christs sake. now i've installed it, i got to play,it comes up with the rome totalwar pic, then says it had to abort because of an unspecified error.

This wouldnt be because i haven't got SP2 installed yet?

works fine again now :grin:

Back
Top Bottom