SteamPunk Online ; OMG SCREENSHOTS OMG OMG

Users who are viewing this thread

I've done some thinking about this, and believe me I'm not doing this to piss anyone off(especially my artists, who will probably be most concerned with this)
The Engine at this point is a platform side-scrolling engine, which has its pros and cons, listed here.
Pros:
- Melee weapons can actually look like melee weapons.
Heh, and the cons.
- It is complex to design any environment
- Physics hard to make
- Water hard to design
- Sprites need like 30 parts
- Its easy to get stuck.
- You have to design a damage basis for every body part impacted with every bullet from every gun.
- You gotta have friction and gravity and ****
- You gotta not be bored out of your mind half the day.

The Engine is, henceforth, to be ported into a Top Down view, which has these Pros and Cons.
Pros:
- Easy to do art
- Sprites require just 3 parts
- Aiming is easier
- Harder to glitch
- Only one part the bullet needs to hit
- Gravity doesn't exist, and friction is only needed sparingly
- Its fun to design so I'll be less bored, so you get a more production lead developer(Yea.)
- Water is as simple as a light blue block that reduces player's speed and has depth.
- Environments can be more detailed
Cons:
- Melee looks gay and choppy
- You'll all be pissed off at MoP for deciding to be more productive.

So, rant against me, support me, whatever. I need the artists to get to work on Top down art.

trololo.jpg

Well. I must make a small announcement, and one that will be good, no matter your mood. I'll just say this, if you don't feel like reading: You'll get a REWARD: alpha of the last Side Scrolling version of SPO, until I work on the Top Down part. Now, unto the part where I explain a few things, and say other things, and talk about stuff.

First off I have to say that, well, yes. Over the past few weeks(has it been more then a month?) I have been doing little(LITTLE. Not NONE) work on this game, and whenever I felt like working on it, I took one look at the codes and the scripts and the engine and lost heart. Honestly, its to complex(Or simple?) for me to understand anymore. And just now, at midnight on a nice, quiet day where I was bored the entire time, a friend of mine on a game mentioned to me, "You still making that game?" and at that point, I realized that I had forgotten about SteamPunk Online.

Now. I feel like starting this back up, even if you have lost interest. I know that when I requested some of my artists to draw something... it was never done. But this can be mitigated, although you won't agree with it.

So, heres the deal. I'm starting this game back up. I have more time and more motivation then before, and a simpler engine to start with. Even if the artists don't decide to do ****, I will replace whatever I need to replace with simple blocks and circles. Heres my promise to you:

- I will provide a new version OR update weekly, with at least FIVE new features from last weeks, and at least half of the bugs/glitches reported from your testing from the last.

And to those who only read that to get to my point, here is the new alpha. It features some of the basic map, some improvised graphics, and such. But there is a few noticeable bugs. Read these, AT LEAST, before downloading and testing.
Known Problems:
- The character's legs don't move whilst walking. I know. This is a problem in the side scrolling engine. You wanted smoother movement and better gravity, but the result ended up with the legs well... standing still. I wanted to fix the bug but couldn't.
- Turning to the left makes the halberd look awkward. I know. This is something I was actually working on, and is easily fixable. But like I said, well... I gave up on this a long time ago, and am starting it up again now.

So report anything else, yell at me, whine, yell at me, and/or say how much you hate me for not working. I've heard it all already.
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?2nguzkyjitl

Right, I've tested the game and the functions I managed to discover. Here's the bugs I found, other than the ones you already had noticed.

1. You cannot go further left than this. (Might be intended.)
1.png
2 & 3. Collision boxes are messed up, as you can see, I can easily get stuck in weird places.
2.png
3-1.png
4. Arm moves around in a weird way when jumping. (Again, might be intended but it looks strange.)
4.png
5. More collision box problems. I can also easily jump my way back onto land again.
5.png
6. And more collision box problems. Got stuck in this location and was unable to move away from it.
6.png

Fix your collision boxes. :razz:

Heya, some news here for you. In order to develop stuff further, and hopefully get some stuff done that needs to get done, I have written a basic overview of the Maelos Republic. The Maelos Republic is ancient and medieval Gallia, before things went trippy. This gives stuff about their government, and faction-specific classes that players can pick, as I've decided it would be fun to have "Unique Units" for each faction. Depending on how many kills/points you have ingame, you can pick your faction's strongest units. This is for game balancing and suggestions, so if you're interested please give it a read. And it'll be expanded in good time.

The Maelos Republic is a late Dark Age civilization that occupied the isle of Mael from 436 AW to 1855 TI. A constitutional Republic, the Maelos were the first semi-democratic nation to emerge on Serva.

Government

The leader of the Maelos was a Prime Minister. It was his duty to make the laws and to declare war. Below him, were the Lesser Ministers, each with a certain job to perform. The Lesser Ministers, when asked, would provide advice to the Prime Minister as well as assist in control of Districts (area of government). The Minister of War was typically a seasoned general, always a 4-5 star general. It was his job to lead the entirety of the army, and only rarely would the Prime Minister have any say in the battle plans. There were Ministers of Education, Domestic Matters, Foriegn Affairs, and Defense.
Below the Lesser Ministers were the agents who involved themselves within the district. IE, Senators and Governors. Senators were elected in to have control over provinces, and Governors were appointed by the Prime Minister. Governors acted as law enforcement and were usually in control of newly conquered or assimilated territory. Once a province had been made "civilized", a Senator would be elected in to lead it from then on.
Finally, each Governor and Senator had his own group of private Retainers, a militia to defend the province from any attack until more professional soldiers arrived to reinforce the area.

Military

Pre-Gunpowder
The basic, average soldier of the Maelos Republic, at least until the middle of the Gunpowder Age, was a Halberdier. They carried the Halberd and wore chain mail for armor. Halberdiers were deployed mainly as militia or retainer forces, though were common in the real army as cannon fodder and meat shields for the famed Maelos Cataphract.
The cataphracts were feared all throughout the medieval Known World. The horse was bred specifically for charging strength and bravery. They even wore armor that was edged at the front of the horse, to pummel and cut apart the unfortunate enemy infantry in front. They carried both a charging lance and a Iconium longsword.
The tactic of the cataphract was to charge, retreat, charge, and repeat until the enemy either turned and ran (In which case, the cataphracts would pursue for prisoners) However they were vulnerable against other cavalry, who didn't suffer to badly in a charge and in most nation's cases were far stronger in a melee.
The most common soldier by far in the Maelos military was the Skirmisher, usually a commoner who was either drafted or voluntarily enlisted. While they were also used as meat shields, they often stood behind the cataphracts charge, showering javelins down just before impact. They also carried a small buckler shield which they were trained to use to block against incoming arrows, which made them somewhat effective against short-ranged archers.
Gunpowder
With the advent of gunpowder, the military of the Maelos developed into a versatile army that was even more feared until the Gallian War. The halberdier, while still a large part of many armies around the Known World, was outclassed by the use of massed riflemen. While at the time, muskets were single shot rifles, and halberdiers were still used to protect the rifles from enemy cavalry (A technique known as "pike-and-shot") the Maelos had a strong enough economy to fund a constant replenishing force of rifles and halberdiers, which either stayed home or moved out to claim new lands in support of Mounted Gunners.
The Mounted Gunners replaced cataphracts almost completely, though less so in areas where the use of ranged cavalry was limited. The mounted gunners, also called dragoons, carried seven to eight loaded pistols (not having time to reload them during battle) and a saber. In large numbers, they would pepper the enemy formation (provided its infantry) and when exhausting the last pistol, charge in with swords drawn.
Skirmishers became largely useless, rarely playing a role except when times were desperate.
Gallian War Era
At the start of the Gallian War (see below section for details) the Maelos Republic was attacked on all sides by the nations of the Known World, and was forced to put heavy emphasis on warfare. With changing times in an era of steam-power, the Maelos army once again experienced developments.
The Halberdier is still here. Mostly just a meat shield for bullets. As a punishment for crimes, you serve as a Halberdier. You earned freedom if you survived 50 great battles. No one made it.
Cataphracts are now non-existent.
The Dragoon is still a prominent part of the Maelos military, deployed for hit and run operations as well as main battlefield warfare. Riflemen, now with socket bayonets, have no need for "pike and shot" tactics, able to hold their own against them. The repeating rifle was a staple firearm now, and were more accurate.
The Maelos (or as of now, Gallia) were the first to use airships. These massive, slow aircraft housed small armies, airplanes and other war machines. After them, everyone else followed the same route.

Also up here will be the story for the singleplayer campaign, when I get time to write it. Because, believe it or not, I'M ACTUALLY WORKING. I'd screenshot it and maybe even livestream it if you don't believe me. I just... keep Taleworlds up for reasons that are obvious if you notice my Signature and also to keep an eye on this thread.

Not to make things more difficult on you, but if you're serious about your game, check out Unity. It's a free to use game developing tool (and supposedly rather easy to use). http://unity3d.com/

I'll install and give it a look, though unless something awesome happens along the way or this program changes my mind, I doubt SPO will be going 3D. Although I bet 3D modelers are going to be more common here than spriters, we'll have to see.

OK, uhm... yea... forget what I said, I'm considering to switch to a 3D engine. But I want your vote, as this is a big change and stuff.
The way I see it, there are more advantages to 3D engine then there are to the current system, including more people who can help. As I said before, a person who can make 3D models is probably more common then one who can do pixel art, since Mount&Blade is a 3D game and there are plenty of modders who can make models for their mods.

So, vote, and majority rules.

I had a reason?

*looks back*

Oh yea... because of the sheer amount of players in a map... right? Well... take a few things into consideration here. First off, when I was making the 2D game, I was using software thats very slow, but can render 3D (Albeit, it looks bad. Very. Bad.) The old engine I was building from probably wouldn't have been able to handle such things as 250+ players in a giant map with constant shooting, noise, jumping, dying, gore, and **** like that and have it run at all. Secondly, the scripting language in the original engine is very basic, and in some cases makes simple things become tedious and complex. For example if I wanted to make SPO 3D back then, it would take quite a while just to animate (or for that matter, import) a 3D model. This is one reason I stuck with 2D: I had experience making 2D games. This new engine can be scripted in C#, which is more powerful and a complex task is somewhat easier and simple tasks are... simple. Thirdly, the old engine as shown in early testing (with servers and the like) is unreliable for connections, even for those who had forwarded ports and volunteered to host a server. As was said in the second point, a stronger scripting language means possibly, better networking and possibly working servers. You want this to be Online right? It is called SteamPunk Online, after all. And fourthly, I've done tests with the new engine with full shader graphics, and everything turned up to the max on my cheap ass computer that doesn't even have a video card (Other then the on-board that came with it) and it still ran smoother and faster then Mount&Blade Warband does. (While looking pretty nice.)

Honestly, the only reason I picked to make it a 2.5D side scrolling platform game is because if it were to be 3D with that engine(which was the only one of which I knew at the time, mind you) it would be even slower and even ****tier looking.

Holly ****! This looks like it will be a good game! It WILL Be free, right? Otherwise, I wont be able to play. Sorry If Its their, But I didn't see it If that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom