State of the Game?

Users who are viewing this thread

This video shows better my point about how bad the AI is in tournaments. It is like something it just refused to block when it is getting chained attacks. It happens 90% of the times against unshielded units but sometimes it also happens with shielded units:

The shieldless AI was actually capable of being good before they changed the combat AI from being based off of level to weapon skill. I can't believe TW hasn't noticed the downgrade in the past few months, so I can only assume it's intentional or it's "not a priority".

This video shows
The shieldless AI was actually capable of being good before they changed the combat AI from being based off of level to weapon skill. I can't believe TW hasn't noticed the downgrade in the past few months, so I can only assume it's intentional or it's "not a priority".

Exactly, the AI was pretty competent when the game was released. I have reported this tons of time but for some reason it is still not fixed. AI is simply pretty bad at blocking because it does not try to block after receiving a hit (it is too aggressive), while it rarely use feints. Only some lords with +200 weapon skill are able to give a decent fight but even these lords are pretty easy to defeat sometimes.

or it's "not a priority"
Yeah, they have bigger concerns like adding barbers :smile:

Tournaments and Battle AI is bad. That we can all agree I think. But I'm pretty sure the most annoying thing is Sieges. It's completely useless. It also takes a huge chunk of the game and turns it into dust. Obviously, I still have other annoying bugs like formation bug which they fixed but now it's back. But sieges gives me cancer.

For OP's question @December
If you feel like you want to play Warband with better graphics and with several features missing - go ahead. It's not that it's "unplayable", so you will still get that old nice feeling in Singleplayer but I can't say that you will enjoy it like Warband. Yes, it's worst than Warband's initial launch at the moment. I do have faith in them tho. It will get better. They are extremely slow and the codebase is a mess, but they will fix more stuff and more stuff for sure.
If you never played M&B before, just buy it. This is my opinion but I think it's the only game that nails Sandboxy Sword Combat feeling. KDC is fine with storyline etc but it lacks proper fight mechanics. I haven't played Mordhau etc but they look like a clone of each other - since from Chivalry, so I don't think they feel natural either. But Bannerlord also has AAA price tag. So I

Yeah, they have bigger concerns like adding barbers :smile:

Tournaments and Battle AI is bad. That we can all agree I think. But I'm pretty sure the most annoying thing is Sieges. It's completely useless. It also takes a huge chunk of the game and turns it into dust. Obviously, I still have other annoying bugs like formation bug which they fixed but now it's back. But sieges gives me cancer.

For OP's question @December
If you feel like you want to play Warband with better graphics and with several features missing - go ahead. It's not that it's "unplayable", so you will still get that old nice feeling in Singleplayer but I can't say that you will enjoy it like Warband. Yes, it's worst than Warband's initial launch at the moment. I do have faith in them tho. It will get better. They are extremely slow and the codebase is a mess, but they will fix more stuff and more stuff for sure.
If you never played M&B before, just buy it. This is my opinion but I think it's the only game that nails Sandboxy Sword Combat feeling. KDC is fine with storyline etc but it lacks proper fight mechanics. I haven't played Mordhau etc but they look like a clone of each other - since from Chivalry, so I don't think they feel natural either. But Bannerlord also has AAA price tag. So I
Battle AI is bad ?! now im offended well partly since they need improvements in some areas for sure (targeting and stuff. I love watching (after i died) the AI fighting for life and death and they have been suprising the **** out of me to

Battle AI is bad ?! now im offended
Not sure which AI you are talking about but I was referring to General/Commander AI where they plan battles. They have one scheme and they are always following that one. Even in conditions where they have the hill with archers, they choose to attack and not keep their advantageous position. That can be understandable for some lords, but nearly all of them are doing this. Apart from that, barging into a forested area with their horseman like as if tomorrow will never happen again, not covering their archers are a couple of other very strange behaviour that I saw. On this archers instance, they are always putting archers to back. Not even rotating their forces to your horseman when you try to flank them with a wide range.
All strategic points inside the terrain are hardcoded already so they are not doing any wise decisions. Those decisions are something that you can understand after doing multiple battles because it's always same and always in the same terrain. So even their condition based scripted AI fails to act logically in multiple instances, unfortunately.
If they ever bring procedural terrain generation back ( which I'm 90% sure they won't) then they can adjust these points on the fly on the generation and then perhaps their scripted behaviour will be less noticeable and more impressive.

Yes strategically for sure could get some more good touch.... but ive heard strategies in here from players that are badder then the AIs choice ^^ and seeing Total War games ai the same so being perfect for the best strategists idk about that. but Ai have been improved now since they do take choices when to defend and attack in some areas. But mostly on the battlefield. Sieges still needs improvement

My suggestion is you wait till release before buying the game, otherwise you'll set yourself up for disappointment like alot of people have during the EA period.

This is coming from someone who has over 1,200 Bannerlord hours played.

Sieges still needs improvement
Sieges require implementation. Not improvement. The current version of sieges is not acceptable by any means. Not for me at least.
and seeing Total War games ai the same so being perfect for the best strategists idk about that.
Honestly, never heard anyone say that before. But regardless to that, my initial feeling is that TW AI is better than Bannerlord AI. They are different genre anyway, and Bannerlord has no aim to be like Total War - so might be a bad comparison. But at least what I feel is that Total War is calculating it's battles based on it's own units vs your units + terrain points. Bannerlord fails to do that. And since terrains are not unique, it becomes really really really obvious what AI is trying to do and thinking. Is it still playable? Yeah. But they can do much more.

Sieges require implementation. Not improvement. The current version of sieges is not acceptable by any means. Not for me at least.
Thought we where talking AI combat behaviors here
Honestly, never heard anyone say that before. But regardless to that, my initial feeling is that TW AI is better than Bannerlord AI.

Strange because how i remember Total war games ive always heard people saying you can exploit ai this and exploiting the ai that since they always have an certain pattern or react the same way. You can look at Total War Legend as an example. Hes an legend for sure but he do exploit the ai as well since he needs to.... Not saying AI is bad there either but it isnt perfect as everyone seems to want em to be. Im just stating a point that you cant just demand everything to be perfect either since i have seen no game managed to do it (except boardgames and other small projects ofc) so far and if they where, people would have complained since it wouldnt felt naturally either...thid because you as an human does mistakes to.

Also how i remember the AI in warband they where not that cleaver either so idk what all this fuzz is about even if i do root for more improvements.

Last edited:
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could give me their quick opinions about the current state of Bannerlord? I’ve not bought it yet, but read a lot about it in the beginning months of it’s ea release to see how it was progressing.

The major issues I remember reading about were poor combat ai, steamrolling issues, and constant wars. How have these been addressed if at all? What major issues are people concerned with right now? Have mods been able to fix any of this?
If you focus on singleplayer then buy it cause it will be fixed and have plenty of mods soon. If you focus on multiplayer then go look for another game, the devs completely neglected its development and honestly whole concept process

Honestly @December, the issues you mentioned are among those that have been worked on. So it might be worth giving it another try. However, you should know that stability issues are not a thing of the past yet with BL. New issues are regularly encountered with each patch, and I can't promise you won't run into any of them.

That's simply not true at all lol. I've seen countless of movies wich I've found totally awesome even tho they've had a bad scene or a character that was out of place.
When you try to defend Bannerlord at no cost even if your argument makes no sense at all

They have one scheme and they are always following that one. Even in conditions where they have the hill with archers, they choose to attack and not keep their advantageous position. That can be understandable for some lords, but nearly all of them are doing this.

They only switch to attacking from a defensive position if the player has a lot more ranged power and inflicts a few casualties. They do have other tactics available, but those tactics either look similar (full scale attack vs. regular, both look almost exactly the same in-game) or almost never trigger for whatever reason (retreat).

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could give me their quick opinions about the current state of Bannerlord? I’ve not bought it yet, but read a lot about it in the beginning months of it’s ea release to see how it was progressing.

The major issues I remember reading about were poor combat ai, steamrolling issues, and constant wars. How have these been addressed if at all? What major issues are people concerned with right now? Have mods been able to fix any of this?
Combat AI still varies between too stupid (eg: 2-hander units regularly forget they have a 2hander and use their 1h sidearm instead) and too superhuman (a guy riding past you at top speed is able to headshot you with perfect accuracy).

Faction balance issues are the biggest area of improvement. Mexxico and other TW coders have managed to improve diplomacy so faction leaders don't get into 3 wars at once and die within the first couple of years so much, and you won't see a single faction take over the entire map by itself in one playthrough anymore! :xf-smile: However, the game still does have notable balance issues. Sturgia is still very weak, Khuzaits are still very strong and will snowball at the drop of a hat due to their movement speed bonus on the worldmap and the cavalry bonus in auto-resolve battles. Empire and Battania, the factions that should be dying off lore-wise, have a tendency to not do that.

Constant wars haven't been fixed. Without feasts like in Warband there's really nothing for AI lords to do but be at war all the time.

Feel free to study and judge the AI ...Sometimes people only see what they want to see and pick on that detail then forget the rest

They arent perfect and sure could use some improvement (especially in tactical targeting switching) but so could i as an cav man since im not using the spear sometimes when i should or sword when i should in that situation.... but hey thats life

Me..... im an very happy man right now...since we now have stash in the castles :grin:

Last edited:
They only switch to attacking from a defensive position if the player has a lot more ranged power and inflicts a few casualties
My gameplay says otherwise.
Apart from that, here, all the tactics in the game. Some of them are quite empty like my soul
MEH5pj.jpg

Feel free to study and judge the AI ...Sometimes people only see what they want to see and pick on that detail then forget the rest
Apart from you made us watch a regular battle in Bannerlord ( which I obviously didn't watch 12 minutes ) explain to me what exactly in this video surprised you that much? Is it cavalry that wanders around like their only ambition is standing there and trying the catch you sometimes? Or is it infantry that doesn't have any cohesion and charges - stops - charges without any formation and such?
I understand that you like the game. Most of us do. That's why we are here. But there is no point of glorifying the battle AI. It's not good. And it becomes obvious when you do multiple battles in the same terrain - as I previously said. Its not like we are picking the details we want to see. Its the obvious stuff that stands in front of the details.

Apart from you made us watch a regular battle in Bannerlord
Yeah because the man was pointing out that people where not using their double handers when they should and in this video they do as they did it effectively to but sometimes they make mistakes to as i do (just saying). But yeah i havent said they where perfect either gloryfying it (i have in many threads been asking for improvements to)...but pointing out that it isnt that bad as people always portraying it to be especially when we compare it to Warband

Last edited:
you've always been a case apart, the exception, the nutjob who managed to extract fun out of the EA since day one :ROFLMAO:
lol well i wouldnt been spending alot of time in this one if i didnt like it :wink: have alot of other heavy titles waiting for me but i prefer a game of Bannerlord right now...well took couple of days break with the new No mans sky update though

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could give me their quick opinions about the current state of Bannerlord?
Early Alpha or at most Early Beta.
I’ve not bought it yet, but read a lot about it in the beginning months of it’s ea release to see how it was progressing.
Not progressing.
The major issues I remember reading about were poor combat ai, steamrolling issues, and constant wars. How have these been addressed if at all?
They're pretty much still same.
What major issues are people concerned with right now?
There are a lot of issues.

Back
Top Bottom