Star Wars Spin off: Rogue One.

Users who are viewing this thread

I went and talked to my bear force bros, and the ones who had seen it all said it was fantastic and better than TFA. Some of them also said TFA was worse than episode 1. Either way I have to go see it.

TFA was an absolute ****ing ****, worse than any of the prequels. Rogue one is great. This is how future Star Wars movies should be done. Also, very elegant incorporation into the cannon; it directly precedes EIV, but it does not feel forced at all.

The only complaints I have is quick cutting at the start of the movie, and too much fan service in the space battle. Maybe a few superfluous characters, too. But it is not a big deal - the movie is really really good.

Bonus points for CGI Cushing.

Bravo! After TFA I kinda lost hope in SW franchise. This restored it. I would say it is a new hope. *CSI Miami intro music*

BenKenobi said:
TFA was an absolute **** ****, worse than any of the prequels. Rogue one is great. This is how future Star Wars movies should be done. Also, very elegant incorporation into the cannon; it directly precedes EIV, but it does not feel forced at all.

The only complaints I have is quick cutting at the start of the movie, and too much fan service in the space battle. Maybe a few superfluous characters, too. But it is not a big deal - the movie is really really good.

Bravo! After TFA I kinda lost hope in SW franchise. This restored it. I would say it is a new hope. *CSI Miami intro music*

My brother basically said the same. He only went to see the movie with us cause we said "its family time comon". And he went in basically hating everything star wars since TFA and claiming it  was going to be horrible and etc. And now he wants to play some Star Wars pen and paper rpg lol.

Anyway, Mads Mikkelsen was awesome, the dialogue wasnt cringeworthy like TFA, and the battle scenes were superb. Specially the ending, that was the ****. That Director Krennic guy also did a great job.

BenKenobi said:

Bonus points for an entirely-unnecessary trip into the uncanny valley?

It was a very good film, but comparisons to The Force Awakens are a bit flawed since this one is a different sort of movie. I loved that they made the pre-A New Hope Rebellion look more like the WWII OSS, dubious skulduggery and all, as opposed to the shiny good guys. And speaking of WWII, the Rebel equipment and tech all looked like a sci-fi reimagining of a mix of that and Vietnam-era American equipment, so that was good to see. Distinct enough from that of the original trilogy while retaining that iconic charm. The action scenes were fantastic, and I was pleasantly surprised by the space combat, which was one thing I disliked about The Force Awakens' action scenes (and J. J. Abrams' sci-fi movies in general, the man has a hard-on for atmospheric dogfights for whatever reason). They did a bit of a visual reference to the Castle Bravo test at the end so that was cool to see. I was concerned that they were going to waste Vader but he had a kickass scene at the very end and a narmy pun right in the middle so I consider his appearance a success. K-2SO was pretty good, his final scene was probably the most touching out of all the main casts' deaths.

I did have some criticisms though. Forest Whitaker was way too over-the-top as Saw Gerrera. I like how they did the whole "he who fights with monsters" thing with his design, him being only a couple steps removed from Darth Vader with his artificial limbs and breathing apparatus, but the acting was ridiculous. He had some crazy Lovecraftian mind-reader alien that served basically no purpose other than to have an obligatory gross-out scene in the movie, so that was kind of unnecessary. Fake Tarkin was an abomination, they should have confined him to maybe one scene if they felt like they absolutely needed to have him in it, otherwise his purpose could very easily be filled by any other Imperial officer, and it wouldn't look like Ben Mendelsohn stepped into the Polar Express for a good 4 or 5 scenes. Director Krennic was a good villain in the first couple scenes but afterwards he just kind of devolved into whining to both Tarkin and Vader, so I was kind of disappointed with him. His costume is still cool though.

Overall it's definitely worth a watch and worth your time, regardless of if you like The Force Awakens or not.

Yeah, about the actors who were 3D. When they were stationary, they almost looked real, but once they started talking, you could tell they were animated. Although I have to say, I started to suspect which of the old characters were actually real and which weren't.

Was the rebel leader with the cape and connection to Obi-Wan (I presume, its been a while) a real actor or not? I cant remember if he was in the original trilogy or not.

And yeah, action was spot on, and the last let's say 15 minutes, basically the final fight and the ending after that were easily the best part of the movie. They managed to tie the movie in with New Hope damn well.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
Bonus points for an entirely-unnecessary trip into the uncanny valley?
I didn't think it was quite at the uncanny valley, right at the border though.

Oh and one thing I found interesting was
How everyone from the main cast died, not just a first for Star Wars IIRC but very rare in Hollywood movies in general.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Was the rebel leader with the cape and connection to Obi-Wan (I presume, its been a while) a real actor or not? I cant remember if he was in the original trilogy or not.

He was Bail Organa, and was pretty much only mentioned indirectly by Leia in the original movie. He was, however, in the prequel trilogy (Obi-Wan and Yoda flee on his ship at the end of Revenge of the Sith I believe). And yes, he was in the flesh, thankfully.

Comrade Temuzu said:
Oh and one thing I found interesting was
How everyone from the main cast died, not just a first for Star Wars IIRC but very rare in Hollywood movies in general.
And even rarer if Disney is involved. Still it loses some impact when you realize that pretty much all the main humans characters died in explosions, just so they didn't have to show blood or a slower death. That's probably why the droid's death is more touching.

Watched the movie yesterday. Got home and watched New Hope (SW 4). I am going to watch it again for sure.

Few issues here and there, but solid movie. Fun. Dark. Funny. Brutal. Lots of heart.

Comrade Temuzu said:

it felt a bit forced that the two "main" characters died in the beach. Fight was over. No shield around the planet. Find a damn ship and escape damnit. You did that earlier in the movie. Don't give up. They just copied that scene from the meteor movie (Armageddon or Deep Impact?)

They should die at the tower. No idea how they got down, without dying, from the tower to the beach  :mrgreen:

Comrade Temuzu said:
They managed to tie the movie in with New Hope damn well.

Uhh...
Lord Vader, only you can be so bold. This is a diplomatic vessel! The Senate will hear about this!
-(Mentally)****ing really? I'm a handicapped, not blind. I saw this ship fleeing close enough to get my cape flying from the blast off, and you try to play the fool?

Alan Tudyk as the robot, I'm a leaf on the wind :lol:

The movie started stupidly, but gets good, despite its flaws and tropes.
I love my husband more than my daughter, so I'm going to abandon her in a suicidal surprise attack to save my husband :iamamoron:

Back
Top Bottom