Star Wars Spin off: Rogue One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Arvenski said:
You know, the first time I heard the soundtrack to this movie -it was before I saw the film, actually-, I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. I remember thinking "Michael Giacchino's good, but he's no John Williams." Now, though, having seen the film and listened to the music more... I'm coming to love it.

He's good. Has his own style, but did reasonably well incorporating Williams' style and ideas on both Rogue One and Jurassic World.

I dunno, I liked his score for Rogue One but Jurassic World didn't do it for me. Maybe it was less the score and more how the direction chose to utilize it, but I felt that a lot of the tracks were severely out of place. The original theme was used at a highly inappropriate time if they were trying to recapture nostalgia, the music felt off at parts like when they were exploring the original compound, stuff like that. His success with Rogue One makes me think it was less him and more the director, which disturbs me since the same hack is apparently directing Episode IX.

Perhaps it didn't work so well all of the time during the film, but it's very nice music to listen to while working.  :iamamoron:

What parts do you think the old theme was used inappropriately at, in particular? And I tend to forget large parts of JW, so that may cloud my judgement on the OST. :lol:

Truth be told I've only ever seen it once (and while I'm tempted to watch it again for a more in-depth soundtrack analysis, I just found it an underwhelming movie overall), but the most prominent example was that the scene that would be the most obvious moment to even reference the original theme slightly (the valley with the Brachiosaurii [sauruses? saurs?]) didn't reference it at all, but rather had some humdrum original composition on it, which made no sense given that they were obviously paralleling the exact same scene in the first movie. It's the equivalent of this happening in the first movie. They'd already blown their metaphorical load, I suppose, by having the theme play over the introduction to the park itself in the first 15 minutes or so, a use that didn't make nearly as much sense to me if they were trying to cash in on people's nostalgia, which they obviously were.

I figured they played that theme over the park's introduction as a celebration of the park itself and to invoke nostalgia about Hammond's dream, which was now a reality.

Which scene with the Brachiosaurs? I don't recall a scene until they are in the stupid gyrodeathball thing, but that's a good hour or so in.

The Doge of Benis said:
I figured they played that theme over the park's introduction as a celebration of the park itself and to invoke nostalgia about Hammond's dream, which was now a reality.

I mean I get what they were going for, I just felt that it was way too soon and long before anything truly interesting or important had happened on-screen. The original use of the theme was as a sort of triumph of science, albeit a wistful one tinged with a little bit of caution, with the characters finally coming across living dinosaurs. There was significance to the theme's usage in that instance. In this it's just bracketing two kids arriving at a futuristic Disneyland; nothing crucial to the plot at all has happened yet, there's no underlying message to the scene beyond "look at our shiny CGI" - while the original relied on its special effects about as much, there was also a message and an underlying theme, due in no small part to Michael Crichton. This one didn't really seem to have one beyond "fourth time's the charm". I dunno, maybe I'm going off the rails here and projecting my lukewarm reaction to the movie onto the soundtrack.

The Doge of Benis said:
Which scene with the Brachiosaurs? I don't recall a scene until they are in the stupid gyrodeathball thing, but that's a good hour or so in.

Yeah that's the one. It is an hour in but I still feel that if they had a muted version of the original theme playing it would have enhanced the scene.

Thread necromancy!

https://www.starwars.com/news/cassian-andor-live-action-series-announced
Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced today that Lucasfilm is in development on a second Star Wars live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service. The series, which will go into production next year, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor.

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced.

The series will go into production next year. Now, we don't know who's going to be directing this or what the 'feel' of the show will be, but if they can give it a similar vibe to Rogue One, that'd be great. I thought Rogue One was awesome, and I liked Cassian, so the idea of him having his own show sounds pretty interesting to me.

Back
Top Bottom