Stamina system

Users who are viewing this thread

I've been intrugued by the idea of having a proper stamina system for attacking, running, charging. I don't think it has been implemented nor even discussed, not  that I remember. Could it work, bring more depth and/or realistic factor into the play, or would it take more away from the battles/battle mechanics in general.

Yes or Nay?

Discuss.

yes, but keep it simple and dont ruin gameplay.

-stamina for "sprint" but not for "normal" run.
-stamina for attack, but not for block.
-stamina for hold a bow at full draw, but not to just fire it.
ecc...
...and fast regeneration....or people will just start to run away to wait recharge...

mr.master said:
stamina system

photo.jpg
1mltx4.jpg
Lf1qx84.jpg

Stamina systems by design encourage defensive and passive gameplay. They are fundamentally impossible to get right in a game where you fight lots of enemies simultaneously.

It just doesn't fit into the Mount & Blade game, though that's only my opinion. The first thought I had when I saw this topic was "Chivalry: Medieval Warfare" and not in a good way :razz:

I dislike the idea of stamina in battle. But what could be interesting is a mechanic where fighting multiple battles in a row decreases your overland map party movement speed for a time.

It would be kind of realistic in a prolonged battle to have to go and rest, say, every 15/30 minutes. I.e. not the short-term stamina system as in FPSs.
This would encourage sides to keep fresh reserves, adding to the tactical play.

Nay. It would greatly hinder everyone's ability to fight to their fullest. One good fighter could easily be overwhelmed and not given the chance to fight back. Teamfights would be a competition on who gets tired the first and then get slaughtered by the other team. One could argue that stamina would force players to think their moves better, but overall I don't have a good feeling about it.

In any case, in MP they'll complain about mechanics that keeps them inactive for some time, realism or not, so it is better suited to SP and the battle of wits with the tactical AI.

MadVader said:
It would be kind of realistic in a prolonged battle to have to go and rest, say, every 15/30 minutes. I.e. not the short-term stamina system as in FPSs.

Sitting around for 15-30 minutes does not sound fun or tactical. It's just a basic rotation of groups of fighters for no reason.

mr.master said:
stamina system

try the system of that other game (Kingdom Come) and see if you like it. It has some very interesting ideas on how to use stamina.

that is one way to bring the idea to Bannerlord (via mods) in the future (which, of course, makes it optional)

Brytenwalda had this.  I had to put 1 in athletics to help with the bandit missions.  I think its nice to have but perhaps the modders can come up with something.

Jacobhinds said:
MadVader said:

Sitting around for 15-30 minutes does not sound fun or tactical. It's just a basic rotation of groups of fighters for no reason.
You read what you want - not "for X minutes", but "every X minutes (of fighting)". For how long is a matter of balancing.
Also, Caesar didn't rotate his fighters in the Gallic Wars for "no reason". Realism, Jacob, with tactical potential.

Ahh naahh for me.
To be honest i didn't like it i think in my opinion tried to put it inthe early stage off  viking conquest if i remember correctly.
my stamina was all the way down all the time it felt like i couldn't move freely. cavaraly had a way advantage in my opinion but thats viking conquest.
There just to much going on and it would be a real skill or i think to difficult with large battles (100scale size) to keep the focus on the ground and stamina and fighting but that's just my opinion or the regen must be very fast :shock:

MadVader said:
You read what you want - not "for X minutes", but "every X minutes (of fighting)". For how long is a matter of balancing.

Regardless, it's just meaningless waiting in a video game about active fighting. It might work in a turn based RPG but not in mount and blade.

Also, Caesar didn't rotate his fighters in the Gallic Wars for "no reason". Realism, Jacob, with tactical potential.

Ceasar was a real person. Mount and blade isn't real. You don't have to use the toilet every 6 hours, or get a balanced diet, or do stretches before combat, or button up your trousers in the morning or any of that tedious crap you get in real life. Realism arguments don't hold any water, especially given that this is by no means a realistic game to begin with.

Jacobhinds said:
Regardless, it's just meaningless waiting in a video game about active fighting. It might work in a turn based RPG but not in mount and blade.

That's your opinion. I think that kind of slow stamina reduction during battles that MadVader mentioned would be amazing. It adds an extra level of strategy for large-scale, long battles. That being said, I think there should be an option to turn it off (as there is in VC).

Back
Top Bottom