Soldiers dont use spears

Users who are viewing this thread

Tsubodai

Sergeant
Hi, I have created some new soldiers however they never seem to use their spears, just their swords. It can't be difficulty as I put it to 0. (However it has itp_penalty_with_shield, it seems obvious but what does this flag mean?)

Many thanks,

Tsubodai

oh i get it. so i just get rid of the flag, the weapn will get better and they will use the spear, right?

may be, but I think spear must have the penalty for game balance reason. May be you can give them worse sword if you want them to be spearman so sword will become 2nd weapon. And it will be good if you give them more than one spear (identical) to increase the probability that they will bring them when spawned.

AI troop will use the best (highest damage) melee weapon (20 blunt > 20 pierce > 20 cut). Some spears have penalty when using with shield while most other one hand weapons don't. So, now 20 pierce is worse than 20 cut if the troop has shield + sword + spear (? probably just my imagination). Another problem with Native code is that foot troops won't switch between melee weapons. So, having a spear + a sword doesn't help in anyway. It might just make the troop a bit slower. Worse, the system use to assign weapon to troops isn't so great (not any where near predictable or manipulable). It isn't pretty when my spearmen show up on the battlefield carrying swords instead of spears. {ranting_end}

As suggested, I make dedicated spears with higher damage and no penalty using with shield and give them to the spearmen (those whose primary weapon is a spear). Give them additional low damage sword just for show. I still need to figure out how to guarantee all spearmen a spear (without the need of running extra script).

Well, you can give the troops a weak sword, a weak spear, AND a strong sword, strong spear. Make the damage so when they get the strong pair, they use one type, and with the weak pair, they use the other type. Add the shield, a cartridge and add guarantee_ranged, so 2 of the slots are weapons, the other one is the shield and the last one an invisible item.

Back
Top Bottom