SOD Warlords - Suggestions & Discussions Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Cathedralsqaure said:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20070256/item_kinds1.txt

It's still pretty rough and you could do some tweaking to the prices and values if you don't feel they fit. I didn't touch availability or price.
Thank you Cathedralsqaure, I'll look into it.

Computica said:
RandomGuy said:
There should be also more npc's. What about adding this: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=129012.msg3109408#msg3109408
No.
Each NPC we decide to add will have special time and attention applied to them. Even though a lot of NPCs would be cool but I'd rather give my companion NPCs more depth and detail to them.

So this means you are working on new companions? :grin:

RandomGuy said:
Computica said:
RandomGuy said:
There should be also more npc's. What about adding this: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=129012.msg3109408#msg3109408
No.
Each NPC we decide to add will have special time and attention applied to them. Even though a lot of NPCs would be cool but I'd rather give my companion NPCs more depth and detail to them.

So this means you are working on new companions? :grin:
I've been working on a few so far. I plan to have at least 32 in total.

I think the game would be even greater if there were formations and a shield strike included.Also in the original SOD you had the option of hiring mercenaires who would follow you. I think that would really set this game apart. Just a couple more thoughts, one , once a castle is taken there should be loot in the chest and two if a lord escapes from battle he should be included in the routed troops and if they are captured there should ba another attempt at catching him.

gotrek43 said:
I think the game would be even greater if there were formations and a shield strike included.
No...

gotrek43 said:
Also in the original SOD you had the option of hiring mercenaires who would follow you. I think that would really set this game apart. Just a couple more thoughts, one , once a castle is taken there should be loot in the chest and
This game is a port therefore we will have mercenaries just like in SOD...

gotrek43 said:
two if a lord escapes from battle he should be included in the routed troops and if they are captured there should ba another attempt at catching him.
I want to do this but I haven't figured out exactly how just yet, If you do have any information on how to do, this feel free to let me know.

Formations, could do without, though should perhaps be optional. For those of us who wish to play this strategically then it would be a nice addition, but for those who just want pure, unadulterated carnage of a charge, then let it be turned off. Not sure if this is possible to have formations optional, but if so then I would suggest it.
Shield bashing, cool to see and also useful. Perhaps you're dueling a lord or king and they get the upper hand, you could shield bash to regain your breath, but so could he do so to you, and I have experienced a swarm of shield bashing when I attacked a castle. Mostly just used when swarmed and using hit-and-run tactics.

I would however like to see if spear bracing could be added. I personally find any horseback fighting to be imba. One possible counter to cavalry charges is ranged warfare and have only succeeded in quelling a cavalry charge with archers is when I had about 50 against 10 as AI archers just shoot in the general direction and I find they hardly hit anything. The other option would be to slash and attempt to dodge the enemy charge, though you can stop the cav when in tight formation, it usually is broken after the first attack, and you'd then have to result to slash and dodge unless you're able to swarm. Spear bracing makes the character think twice before charging in with a horse against spearmen and makes it a bit easier to handle cavalry if using a spear.

Just my thoughts, apologies if it was too long for just a few features.

Halsemon said:
Formations, could do without, though should perhaps be optional. For those of us who wish to play this strategically then it would be a nice addition, but for those who just want pure, unadulterated carnage of a charge, then let it be turned off. Not sure if this is possible to have formations optional, but if so then I would suggest it.
Shield bashing, cool to see and also useful. Perhaps you're dueling a lord or king and they get the upper hand, you could shield bash to regain your breath, but so could he do so to you, and I have experienced a swarm of shield bashing when I attacked a castle. Mostly just used when swarmed and using hit-and-run tactics.

I would however like to see if spear bracing could be added. I personally find any horseback fighting to be imba. One possible counter to cavalry charges is ranged warfare and have only succeeded in quelling a cavalry charge with archers is when I had about 50 again 10 as AI archers just shoot in the general direction and I find they hardly hit anything. The other option would be to slash and attempt to dodge the enemy charge, though you can stop the cav when in tight formation, it usually is broken after the first attack, and you'd then have to result to slash and dodge unless you're able to swarm. Spear bracing makes the character think twice before charging in with a horse against spearmen and makes it a bit easier to handle cavalry if using a spear.

Just my thoughts, apologies if it was too long for just a few features.

No it's a good read. it gives me insight on what people think.Hmm... I don't think Spear Bracing is needed. In SOD Calvary is much easier to get took out now because of the amount and types of pole-arms in the game. But I'll try it out none the less and see how it goes. Right now I'm focused on the game mechanics itself, after that I'll deal with in battle modification...

Computica said:
No it's a good read. it gives me insight on what people think.Hmm... I don't think Spear Bracing is needed. In SOD Calvary is much easier to get took out now because of the amount and types of pole-arms in the game. But I'll try it out none the less and see how it goes. Right now I'm focused on the game mechanics itself, after that I'll deal with in battle modification...

Game mechanics as in stuff typically done on the main, huge map? Managing taxes, kingdom patrols, item balancing, stuff like that?

Halsemon said:
Computica said:

Game mechanics as in stuff typically done on the main, huge map? Managing taxes, kingdom patrols, item balancing, stuff like that?
Much more than that.

Though you may not be really looking into the following suggestion, it's worth mentioning before forgotten.

I noticed while checking through the names for errors that there are two types of Guns, Pistols and Rifles/Carbines/Hand Cannons. Rifles, Carbines and even the Hand Cannons have a melee mode which functions as a Polearm while the Pistols remain just that; Pistols. Would it not be sensible to let the Pistols have a melee mode as well? Perhaps as clubs?

Just a thought.

Halsemon said:
Though you may not be really looking into the following suggestion, it's worth mentioning before forgotten.

I noticed while checking through the names for errors that there are two types of Guns, Pistols and Rifles/Carbines/Hand Cannons. Rifles, Carbines and even the Hand Cannons have a melee mode which functions as a Polearm while the Pistols remain just that; Pistols. Would it not be sensible to let the Pistols have a melee mode as well? Perhaps as clubs?

Just a thought.
I had the same idea but I came to the fact the pistols are easy to whip out, quick to reload, easy to kill with at very close ranges, and as a bonus to them you can have a shield. So the ability for them to melee was a no-no.
All 3 weapon types for firearms are balanced out with carbines in the middle of it all.

Ok, sorry if this was mentioned somewhere in the thread, but i really don't have the time and patience to read all this. So, i remember the good o' days on the vanilla mount&blade, and the sword of damocles mod. I don't like this new BIG map with all the factions, including the legion.
So my suggestion starts here
It would be supermegaextragiga cool to have the native map, and the legion riding hot for calradia, invading with HUGE armies, it was cool to have the little time, scarce resources and starting from scrap to build the strongest empire/kingdom to unify calradia and defend it against the incoming legion.

p.s. sorry again if this was posted/mentioned somewhere before, i just wanted to know if the invasion will be in future versions. GL with your mod, and thanks for your time  :smile:

there will be an invasion is this mod as wel. But as you may or may not know its still in its testing fase. The upcoming features list may give you a good overview of what may or may not be added.

I want everyone to remember the words "TEST COMBATANT" are there for a reason. This is a mod to prepare for the finished game. Since this is a big project and all the transferring can't be done within a day I've released this to the community instead of hogging it for myself so YOU ALL, can help me find issues, balance out troops and items, and have fun doing it.

@Larmantine
Thank you, I appreciate your suggestion but the mod is not finished. The Legion may perhaps be removed at the start from the final game. Everything is set on the map so you all can get a feel of each faction and there troops.

@Manekemaan
Thank you

Computica said:
I want everyone to remember the words "TEST COMBATANT" are there for a reason. This is a mod to prepare for the finished game. Since this is a big project and all the transferring can't be done within a day I've released this to the community instead of hogging it for myself so YOU ALL, can help me find issues, balance out troops and items, and have fun doing it.

@Larmantine
Thank you, I appreciate your suggestion but the mod is not finished. The Legion may perhaps be removed at the start from the final game. Everything is set on the map so you all can get a feel of each faction and there troops.

@Manekemaan
Thank you

Thank you for your reply. Now you have intrigued me, so i have a couple of questions -
What will map and gameplay look like in the finished version?
- will it be the native map with it it's 6 native factions (rhodoks, sarranids etc) and you (the player) will be able to choose a faction (adenians, marinians etc) in the begining as a rescuer of the calradia from the invading Legion? as it was in the vanilla M&B versions
- or will the map have all the factions (except the Legion) including the native and SOD ones on the start?
- or you and your team will make the both variants? :grin:

Becouse i personnally liked like it was before, when you come with your unique faction as a rescuer of the calradic continent.
Thank you for your time.

indeed warlords is kinda what happens a few generations after the normal sod. If you still like the original SOD so much you must be very happy to hear they are releasing 5.0 very soon ^^

Back
Top Bottom