Skill books

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm still at a total loss why anyone even wants this feature back.
To get skills without having to invest points, at least that's the point from warband. You could get 26 int from level/char creation then read the +int book to have 27 int and raise a skill to 9 then buy the book to give you +1 to have +10(14 on MC) skills and you could do this very early and have max surgery/wt/engineering before you even needed to get serious. It was really good and made bannerlords skills a joke by comparison. Oh yeah lets spend the entire map to get 2/3 the way to capping medicine and engineering... wow that's so useful with zero means to raise them BEFORE doing sieges and fighting serious battles. I don't think I can properly describe the mental logic loop a have with TW design for skills. I need the skill to do the thing, it's worthless if I have already done ALL THE THING to get the skill. Please correct.
For bannerlord it would probably be better to just have the "Item boon" type that just give 25+ skill to the assigned role in your parties, like the books you just carried that gave +1 in bannerlord. It's very important that it is either 25 or 50 so it can reach a perk, anything less is kinda useless. Probably better to have several because the skills are so weak in bannerlord, you need like +100 for it to even matter.
Or just a effect boon, like "medicine skill is +25%" so it doesn't matter who is the medic and so on, it just adds a bonus to the current effect. Hey maybe that's what banners could do, that would be useful and not disappointing and obnoxious.

I need the skill to do the thing, it's worthless if I have already done ALL THE THING to get the skill. Please correct.

In Bannerlord all skills are like running: the more you do it, the better you get.

But you're right, some skills are better learned about before acted upon. Like tactics, or engineering - both of those would kill silly numbers of people to learn in practice.

But then some skills should degrade over time too... like athletics or hand combat skills. Someone in their 40s or 50s can't compete with a 20 year old in combat speed and agility... let alone recovery time. But they've probably read a few more books.

Younger characters should in that way have more physical traits, but older ones a bigger accumulation of mental traits.

Back
Top Bottom