SP Native Siege! (Semi-working)

Users who are viewing this thread

Stonewall382

Knight at Arms
Alright, so I somewhat got a siege working, though it's pretty skanky right now. It's at Reyvadin, if anyone would like to try it out. It's basically just an all-out bum rush, but I thought it was pretty fun (sure was/is making the darned thing, though it takes a long time), so I thought I'd release it, and try to get people's thoughts on it.
The file is on Janus' site, at http://www.mbrepository.com/modules/PDdownloads/index.php

The siege works most of the time and is real fun. :grin: Suggestion: Add ladders to the wall and some fire to the roofs.

Okay... Here's the list what I have found so far.

- You can walk around in the city if you chose not to attack.
- A small keep in siege. With a gatehouse and 2 towers mount with archers.
- One of the tower is inaccessible. Victory with pure melee is not possible.
- Gatehouse entrance is block by small fence. You can jump over and get to the courtyard. But no luck for your troops.
- There are some archers on the towers but only 2 of them shoot their bows. The rest just sitting and waiting for me to charge.
- Some few new unit. But one of them is not complete. "Vegir Light"??
- Siege *works* most of the times (around 90%). I experience dead AI only once. But if you rush in. They will attack you anyway.

I am fully aware that this is only alpha. But this one has great potential indeed.

What I want to see next...

- More archers on the wall and towers. (make sure they use their bows)
- Remove the gatehouse barricade. (I don't see why you put it there. Unless you have a proper gate or whatever might that be.)
- The tower on the left is inaccessible. But there is a door... perhaps we can use that door to go up?

Great mod Stonewall. Keep it up. We're getting to see the light here...

I tested this and its great work! Even in its current state its quite useful.

If its improved more it can become even better! :wink:

And what meaty said is true.

i think it was good of you to put that iron fence at the front and back of the gate.really well done job.but when i died all my men vanished.i clearly remember i had still hav a few for the next round.(so there was no next round).keep on such good projects.

just tried it, but some problems:
the fps was *really* low- i usually get 40-60, on the siege i got, like, 10.
i turned the ai down and it went up to about 20, but the ai get so confused, and it slows down the game.
also i could get in the castle by going round the hill and the ai kep running into the wall.
but it is good ( apart from these problems)

note: the graphics do not cause a proble, it is the ai that slow down the game.

don't know why but i have never been able to conquer that castle in the game.i(and my men of course) kill many of the soldiers inside it .then suddenly it stucks.gives an error that i can't remember now.but it always destroys the most exciting moments in the game.

so sorry but like in some other mods i can't see my ınventory chest in the battlefield.do you know why?

I think that is a bug with the mod, which dont add the chest.

Would be need added to the new created scene to be there!

This is quite common, thats why you encounter this more often.

^^Lu Bu's probably right.

Alright, I'll try to address each post in order here:

@ Lhorkan--At home and on a 56k, thus, no screenshots :sad:

@ Keeper--Unless you know of a way (if you do, tell me PLEASE :smile: ), I doubt the ladders would work, and as for the fire--what do you mean? When someone hits a house, or when you enter the map? The latter should be doable, if not pretty graphics-intense.

@ meatbag--
1) I plan to change this scene to the siege scene (ovbiously with different NPCs in the scene :razz: )

2) I've now changed the scene to a map-wide line of battlements and towers, so that I could put everything at right angles. I think it looks more impressive, and will make the battle more chaotic.

3) I half meant this as a gameplay element (the other half being that I couldn't fit another set of stairs in there :razz: )--think I should make a victory through just melee possible?

4) I'm working on this, but putting up pens for the AI, without blocking the attacking troops, is difficult.

5) All the castle-type objects Armagan put in make it very difficult for the archers to fire over the walls. I'm putting counter_tavern objects in the towers so that they'll be up higher, and hopefully can shoot in a much larger angle.

6) :oops: The Vaegir Light is a complete troop--it's meant to be a light infantryman.

7) Can't find a reason for it yet, but as before--I'm working on it. :wink:

Thank you. :grin:

:cool: In the next version there should be somewhere in the range of nineteen ranged units on the walls, and nine or so infantry units (including one who I hope to hide somewhat, who might ruin your day as you break through the gatehouse... :cool:

9) Again, working on penning the AI in without making it so that the attacking troops can't get through.

10) I thought your idea would work, but as far as I can see, it always takes me back to my starting point in the scene (and makes me lose my troops, but that could possibly be changed).

Thanks for the support, and for listing everything you noticed. Makes it a lot easier to address individual issues. :wink:

@ Batur--I've never had any of my men survive past the first assault (at least not conscious), so I haven't encountered this. Will work on it.

@ Laurence--When I get back to college, I'll download Janus' program, and can hopefully make use of it (if I can figure it out :razz: ).

@ Harlequin--Yeah, that's probably something I can't really affect. The walls will create a problem for the AI, and you just need as much processor power as possible. Hopefully with all the objects at right angles now, it won't be so bad, but I don't know... :???:
I could take the number of men in the battle down, but...that's not as much fun. :razz:
Seriously though, if there's anything I can do, I'll try.

@ Batur--Again, I haven't encountered this (you're obviously putting more effort into attacking than am I :razz: )--when/if I do, I'll try to figure out why, and fix it.
And, yeah, Lu Bu is probably right. Will try to fix soon.

What I'd like to do:
Make it so that winning a siege yields items, lower prices on everything in the city, a much lower rating with the concerned faction, and if possible, fewer spawn point oppurtunities for the enemy with each town taken (and maybe eventually I could make it so that parties allied to you start spawning!). I'm not entirely sure this stuff is possible, but if it was, what do you guys think?

At any rate, thanks for the support here guys. It means a lot, and certainly helps. :grin:

Stonewall382 said:
^^Lu Bu's probably right.

Alright, I'll try to address each post in order here:...

What I'd like to do:
Make it so that winning a siege yields items, lower prices on everything in the city, a much lower rating with the concerned faction, and if possible, fewer spawn point oppurtunities for the enemy with each town taken (and maybe eventually I could make it so that parties allied to you start spawning!). I'm not entirely sure this stuff is possible, but if it was, what do you guys think?

And, yeah, Lu Bu is probably right. Will try to fix soon.

At any rate, thanks for the support here guys. It means a lot, and certainly helps.

*nods* So the message looks good!

1. Yeah i´m probably right!

2. I´m quite sure that i´m right!

3.Allied Parties should be possible, fewer spawn points also and i think its not a bad idea, quite similar in some ways to what would/will/could be also in RoTK/DW Mod.

4. Nope for the support, i´m here to betray you, eh i mean help you! *sighs*

Stonewall382 said:
What I'd like to do:

Everything looks entirely possible to me! :grin:

One more thing that I forgot to mention in my last post.

Troops on the towers are half-sunk!! I belive that this is a problem from the model collision. Not your fault. But If you can fix that... It'll be great.

Absolutely. And that's why they wouldn't fire most of the time. However, now I've put tavern counters in each of the four towers, plus the gatehouse, and lemme tell ya--it's friggin' sweet. There are arrows EVERYWHERE, and when you get closer, axes and jarids too (hopefully naptha too, but I haven't made it close enough to see that yet :razz: ). Many good Vaegir peasants have lost their lives assaulting their beloved capital city. :grin:
Right now I'm just working on getting all the soldiers where they're supposed to go, and trying to get the damned pikemen to stay in the gatehouse (creating a small phalanx effect, so that you can't just bull through the gatehouse and start climbing the walls). Hope to release it tonight if possible (though it's two in the morning already :roll: ), or tomorrow if I have to wait that long.

Can't wait for the next release. If it's work. YOU gonna be a hero!!

If this forum ever had a hall of fame. YOU gonna be one of them.

YOU will be known as....

"Stonewall382 the siege creator"

Hmm....nuff with the day dream...

Is it possible to change the number of troops allow each leadership level?
So we can have a larger army at low level. Assaulting a castle needs a big army. Leading 21 peasants into battle is NOT a good idea.

It means you need to try increasing render_buffer_size in your config file.

Nice little mod btw, if only we had a few more operations for use on the battle map :smile:

Back
Top Bottom