Shouldnt Settlement Icons be incorporated into the core game?

Users who are viewing this thread

StewVader

The "Settlement Icons" mod by PyroKinesis is easily one of the best mods for Bannerlord to date. It is completely balanced and provides a plethora of information to the player at a glance, with absolutely no need need for fixing or balancing. It is an amazing visual mod that makes the game dramatically better. This mod was created on 11 April 2020, a mere 12 days after EA launch. Why is it that a simple and effective mod like this, which is overwhelmingly popular and likely used by the vast majority of players (when updated) not implemented into the game already?

The implementation of this mod's core principles is more important than improvements and fixes to the unimpressive and unpopular quest system Bannerlord has to offer, in my humble opinion.

To cut off the fanboi's before they get to fired up. I understand its EA, but we have no idea whats in the works, or if the concept from this amazing mod is even in their development plan. So rather than make assumptions and act like a good little fanboy. I'm asking the Developers to please implement the core principles of this mod into the game ASAP. It honestly makes the game better with absolutely no downside.

Mod link: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/429

EDIT: changed post title

Last edited:
Some people may see it as a downside that the mod tells them whether or not a quest is available at a settlement without visiting it (immersion break).

There is a balancing act between quality of life enhancements and suspension of disbelief. Where to draw the line isn't necessarily the same for every player.

I agree that parts of this mod are slam dunk inclusions (eg. tournament location notifications - these would be well publicised and known, so should be visible), but not every aspect of it is the experience every player is looking for. Weighing things like that up, and comparing them to the scores of other great mods out there, are reasons why mods with good ideas don't get snapped up and integrated immediately (on top of the technical and administrative overhead of committing to the long term support of the mod's features).

Yeah, if you need it, OP, then just get that mod. To me it just breaks immersion and simplifies the game, as Badcritter said.

I'm honestly surprised that this breaks your immersion. Given all the other immersion breaking issues in the game. But fair enough.

I understand that people might find it immersion breaking(I did at first too). However at least right now, the quests are so very bland that after a few playthroughs you just kind of wanna get that part of the game over with asap.

Relation becomes a grind, and moving between villages can get tiresome, especially when not a single one has a quest.

That being said, I would like the tavern keeper dialogue(when finished) to allow for access to these icons given enough coin.

not implemented into the game already?

Why would it be? Seriously?
How you imagine the devs who have plenty of planned tasks, and are still buried in fixing technical issues with the base game, suddenly pick up one of 100s random mods, and prioritizely put if into the base game in the first month of EA, like it were the most important thing missing?
For what purpose actually? Don't you already have a mod for it?

Why would it be? Seriously?
How you imagine the devs who have plenty of planned tasks, and are still buried in fixing technical issues with the base game, suddenly pick up one of 100s random mods, and prioritizely put if into the base game in the first month of EA, like it were the most important thing missing?
For what purpose actually? Don't you already have a mod for it?

Read the post. That explains why I think it should be. Its a mod that has overwhelming popularity, 150k downloads.

Also, based on the size of the mod, doesn't really seem like a heavy lift for such a useful feature. Even if they tweaked it so certain icons only showed up after a player visited a village, would still great.

Why don't people just suggest that it should be an OPTION if they don't like the idea. The devs can decide if they want to bother implementing it or not, no need to stonewall deny a request just because you don't like the sound of it.

I also get tired checking villages for quests at day 1000+ because I'm still trying to get their influence and relation up so I can hire noble troops... I had a bad start as Sturgia where the only powerful notables were at opposite ends of Sturgia and constantly looted (and eventually stolen by Battania and the Khuzait).

Yes it should be an option. And it is, if you like it you run the mod.

The question of the thread is why hasn't this mod been integrated into the game? And the thread has produced answers to that question. Most important governing principle is: when a solution already exists to a problem, don't put scarce resources towards a different solution to the same problem.

When there are literally thousands of problems to solve, you ignore the ones that already have work arounds. When the number gets smaller, you have the bandwidth to decide whether to integrate something like this mod into the base game.

Yea, I agree it could've been worded better... it does also belong in the suggestions forum. It's been a free-for-all in the general discussion though unfortunately, because the issues that don't get posted here don't receive much attention otherwise.

I do hope TW emulates games like Rimworld eventually though... many popular mods there became part of the main game every other alpha / beta version.

Read the post. That explains why I think it should be. Its a mod that has overwhelming popularity, 150k downloads.

Also, based on the size of the mod, doesn't really seem like a heavy lift for such a useful feature. Even if they tweaked it so certain icons only showed up after a player visited a village, would still great.

So what? There is a cut through mod that has more unique downloads than the one suggested, should they implement it and make Bannerlord just like Dynasty Warriors? It is already bad enough they did it for two handed axes/polearms.

There are more pressing issues to attend to, features to deliver, maybe when everything else is done then they could look back into this and add an option to the Gameplay section to toggle those icons.

Its a mod that has overwhelming popularity, 150k downloads.

As do tens of other mods on Nexus. Why should devs prioritize this? Or any other?

It is always a work that brings possible issues. Why should devs duplicate work done by modder now that there are much more pressing matters?

To clarify, I am not stating that the mod is not worth using, it very much is!
Just the whole tone of "why X is still not in game" (after 1 month of EA) is imho silly and unrealistic, considering how many other priorities there are, and considering that it already is fully implemented by a mod outside of base game, so none is suffering from lack of such feature, because it is readily available.

Last edited:
I needed some extra work one time and asked my buddy Dan if he knew of anything, and said he heard a guy in the next town over needed a hand with roofing, one of his guys got hurt. A couple days later I was lugging shingles and making a couple extra bucks.
That being a true story, and making it relevant is that is an icon.

Rant portion can/will be ignored!
Now time to rant =D ITS THE SAME WAY TRADE WORKS IN THIS SAME GAME, and no ones "immersion button" is getting butthurt or broken. And I'd be willing to bet a good chunk of the playerbase gives ZERO poops of playing Wheres Waldo compared to a 500 man battle

I like them and they are not breaking the immersion that much. You move around on the map and things change/move anyway. But that's me.

Why isnt it in the game?

That answer is easy, download it and start a new game on e1.4.0.

While it may seem usefull that mod breaks the game in every single update so its a hard pass.

Why is it that a simple and effective mod like this, which is overwhelmingly popular and likely used by the vast majority of players (when updated) not implemented into the game already?
The mod has how many downloads, like 100k? Out of how high are we now, in the 5-10 million copies bought? Look, I get it, you like the mod, but you're exaggerating to high heaven. Also, btw, I don't use the mod, thus your point is completely invalid. (jk)

While I get why you and others like it I personally don't feel like it's needed. The only mod that I really use is Fast Dialogue and since it doesn't work with the last update I'm now not using any and probably won't until the game launches. Hey at least you have it if you want it.

Not sure why all the Fanbois are having a hissy fit. As I said above, its just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. I spoke about this mode in particular because it doesn't change anything about the core game experience. It simply and effectively shows usable information to the player in a great way.

It makes the game better in every way.

Back
Top Bottom