should i buy warband before bannerlord release?

Users who are viewing this thread

hey im new to M&B and didnt really think about what it was about before recently. should i try warband before jumping into bannerlord when it release? i still don't understand 99% of the game. all i know is that there is a some factions and you travel around, recruiting, fighting etc and i have heard something about economics and city management i think. well i guess i could watch a few gameplay videos, but i dont feel like i learn as much as if i play it myself, but if i do want to play warband then i need to spend money. im just a simple peasant i dont have alot to spare after paying taxes to the king and rent to my land lord. everything i spend needs to be well worth it even though it doesn't cost so much actually. is warband still a fun game for someone new like me after 10 years or should i save my money and wait for bannerlord? i still learn English sorry

Hey Elrond, well if your computer can run Bannerlord, then you could wait 1 month until release, but be aware this release is alpha, that means there will be bugs, the game may not perform well, some mechanics may not work properly and since the game will be in constant update you could lose your saves meaning you'll have to do everything again, but you'll have BL and if you're patient and again if your computer can handle it, you'll get a great and 'up to date' game once they finish the whole game.

On the other hand, Warband is great... and cheap too if you buy it in discount. Warband native is a lot of fun, you will spend weeks playing it untill you get eventually bored, and then it comes the infinite mods you have out there to play, Japan mod, Lord of the rings mod, low fantasy mods with original lores, reworks of native, and this is a very short list compared to the real amount of mods man this game is 10 year old but I think it could last 10 years more (ok not that much but still a classic).

My recommendation would be: grab Warband, enjoy it, wait for BL to be fully completely ready which should take a year or more, you'll forget about Bannerlord while you discover Warband and Im sure you'll get the money to buy it by then (I know what being poorish is, damn) (fr grab it in discount is mad cheap bro)

Last edited:
If your worry is being a noob forget about it, this game will be 10 times more noob friendly than Warband believe me. But beear in mind its the alpha, im getting Viking Conquest flashbacks

thanks for the answers i have a gtx 970 and a i5 4690k if i remember correctly :unsure: i'll think about getting warband till the weekend or my next paycheck

Warband is a great game, but its starting to feel a bit old, if you have issues playing older games, you should just stay away i think. If you dont mind older games Warband and its DLC Viking Conquest have thusands of hours of play time in them. Viking Conquest will have more in common with Bannerlord than Warband, but is also a bit harder to get into difficulty wise if you havent played Warband. Warband will likely be a great introduction to Bannerlord, as alot of the core concepts from Warband will carry over, but have alot of things added onto them, so Warband would give you an impression of the core of Bannerlord. If we do get the promised march early access though, its not long away and you would not have that much time to get into Warband, so maybe watch some youtube videos and get the impressions that way. Hope you have fun whatever you decide.

thanks for the answers i have a gtx 970 and a i5 4690k if i remember correctly :unsure: i'll think about getting warband till the weekend or my next paycheck

Should hold up alright for Bannerlord. One of the recommended GPUs on the Steam page is the gtx1060 which is newer but benchmarks only slightly faster than the 970.

Warband is a fantastic game but what really brings value to the package is the almost decade long nodding community. Warband goes on sale quite frequently for just a couple dollars so I'd grab it then. Also warband is quite a mechanically dense game so don't stress about understanding it right away. Just do what you find fun be it riding around hunting bandits, becoming a lord, or just running trade routes. I wish you the best of luck!

I've been saying alpha all this time while I was trying to say Early Access man I shouldnt write early in the morning

Grab Warband mate and enjoy every piece of it. It’s an old game but gives a lot of fun, just keep in mind it’s sandbox and nobody will lead you by hand. You need to follow you’re own quests and create you’re story plus after that you will have a hell much easier way with BL.

If you're fine with a hack & slash game with a sizable war party, using modest RPG mechanics, but minimal economics under the hood, then Warband is excellent. It is NOT an empire-builder at heart, that's a relatively minor and limited facet which Bannerlord is expected to build upon. There is no "main quest", just a few isolated minor quests and tasks that you can do to pick up a few denars (gold coins) or boost your reputation and relations with some lord or faction. Ultimately, it is an open sandbox where you can do pretty much anything you want within the restrictions of the game world: hunt bandits, trade between different regions, join a faction and become a landholding vassal to a king, or eventually strike out on your own to seize a castle of town and declare your own kingdom. There's a lot of randomness to the diplomacy, and you really have no control of most larger matters until/unless you chosen as the marshal of a faction, or a ruler of your own kingdom. The battles (field battles and sieges) are the primary point of the game, and your interactions with the world around you are the means of setting up those battles.

Trade can be a good way to start, or as a supplemental income for a war party, and being awarded a "fief" (a land holding) by a king can provide a steady source of money, but the real wealth comes from collecting loot after a battle or selling captives to be ransomed (there is also an actual "slaver" in the game who will buy captives).

Warband is often available for a pittance if you catch it on sale, and the dated graphics aren't bad enough to detract from the generally excellent gameplay that has kept many people playing for practically a decade. Bannerlord is likely to come out as a top-dollar game with a lot of initial issues still to be ironed out, so I'm probably not going to rush out there and get it during the first few weeks myself, and will continue playing Warband in the mean time. Note that Warband is merely an updated and bug-fixed re-release of original Mount & Blade, with a few added features.

Download it, it's try-before-you buy. There's a level cap but you can have a real blast reaching it and it's more than enough to decide whether the game is for you. Shame you missed the recent special offer.

A key for Warband is like 3 €. If money is a concern, I would get Warband, see if you actually enjoy the game before paying full price for Bannerlord which might not actually be your kind of game. And as said, Bannerlord will be in Early Access for some time, while Warband is a full game and has lots of great mods to enjoy.

I think it would be better to buy Warband for you because Bannerlords gonna come out as a early acces game so it will have a lot of bugs,some contents will be missing etc.Also Warband is not a bad game you can play it for weeks before getting bored and while you're playing it Bannerlord will get patched,polished and also you can save money for Bannerlord while playing Warband until Bannerlord comes out of early acces.You can learn core mechanics of the game by playing Warband so Bannerlord would be more enjoyable since you know things about it's core and lore(Warband has some lore about the Bannerlord since it's 200 hundred years after Bannerlords events).Also if you get bored from the Warband you can always download mods and play multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom