Shops?

Users who are viewing this thread

I started my first game and after a lot of trading,fighting,selling loot or prisoners i finally got around 15k,and i bought my first shop.Shop workers said usual and i asumed they will do it all and send me profit but instead all i got is loss of 250 denars per day..What im doing wrong?I changed production at first from something(cant remember what)to velvet.Do i need to bring to shops raw material,i thought that workers do that?And where i can see my age?Cant find it anywhere..Thank you.

I started my first game and after a lot of trading,fighting,selling loot or prisoners i finally got around 15k,and i bought my first shop.Shop workers said usual and i asumed they will do it all and send me profit but instead all i got is loss of 250 denars per day..What im doing wrong?I changed production at first from something(cant remember what)to velvet.Do i need to bring to shops raw material,i thought that workers do that?And where i can see my age?Cant find it anywhere..Thank you.

you need to check what raw materials that town produces & also make sure the shop you are opening doesnt already exist. Also the prices are affected if nearby towns have same shops, then you have competition.

It takes about a week, seven in-game days, before the shop begins turning a profit. Until then, you have to take the hit and pay wages. There's a trade perk that reduces such costs by 30%, and it's advised that even a non-trader character get the trade skill at least that high for either said perk or the alternative for caravans.

Generally, a casual review of the surrounding villages is sufficient to guess what will be profitable - although I had a wool shop at Poros that was a bust for some reason despite the outlying sheep producing villages (this could have been patched since).

Shops don't make as much money as caravans, but they have a number of advantages. You can, I believe, have a few more of them than Caravans, they don't cost a companion to manage, are less risky and can be sold again for between 10,000 and 12,000 (if profitable) at a later date. A typical shop, once things get going (even without the assigned trade perk) should produce between 50-70 denars a day. This means that it would only take about 100 days to have completely paid off the initial expense (sooner with the perk). Played smart, it's a safe source of revenue that you don't have to think about much.

Allowances should be made for when you consider joining a faction, as this will cause workshops in enemy cities to be confiscated. Some factions, like the Khuzaits and Vlandians, almost never lose a city so, for instance, if you plan on going Vlandian then any workshop in their cities will remain long after you've decided to join up under King Derthert. Otherwise just sell the workshops (instantly done from anywhere on the clan page) and reinvest as you like. The income doesn't have to be much - fiefs in this game produce a good sum of money and will more than buoy later expenses.

you need to check what raw materials that town produces & also make sure the shop you are opening doesnt already exist. Also the prices are affected if nearby towns have same shops, then you have competition.

Do you know if there is a limit to how many workshops a player can own?

Last edited:
It takes about a week, seven in-game days, before the shop begins turning a profit. Until then, you have to take the hit and pay wages. There's a trade perk that reduces such costs by 30%, and it's advised that even a non-trader character get the trade skill at least that high for either said perk or the alternative for caravans.

Generally, a casual review of the surround villages is sufficient to guess what will be profitable - although I had a wool shop at Poros that was a bust for some reason despite the outlying sheep producing villages (this could have been patched since).

Probably because nearby towns had the shops producing same thing. If you take out the competition by opening shops in those towns as well by replacing their shop with yours then your profits will be greater. The shop you replace with has to be different than the wool shop in your case.

Probably because nearby towns had the shops producing same thing. If you take out the competition by opening shops in those towns as well by replacing their shop with yours then your profits will be greater. The shop you replace with has to be different than the wool shop in your case.

I suppose that does clear things up, and it should make future investments on my part easier.

I bought shop in seonon,it passed few weeks but still negative income.Just to ask so i dont have to start new threads.Is there somewhere i can see whats my age,because i read you can not marry after 35.How do i marry?Also how to improve my relations with kings and lords if i cant ask them to give me task like in warband?Thanks

I bought shop in seonon,it passed few weeks but still negative income.Just to ask so i dont have to start new threads.Is there somewhere i can see whats my age,because i read you can not marry after 35.How do i marry?Also how to improve my relations with kings and lords if i cant ask them to give me task like in warband?Thanks

1. Press N and search for your name, it should show age there I think, if not check on your clan's page

2. Find the girl you want to marry, talk to her & you will know which option to select, its similar like in warband. You need "charm" skill to persuade her to marry you I believe but its pretty much a gamble

3. Relations can be improved by saving them in battles, helping them, or from time to time they have quests, I usually find quests when I visit their keep & if they are in the castle. I think if you donate lord prisoners to your king/lord it also increases relation

A fun way to improve relations with noble houses, at least those with cities, is to get into gang fights. You go into a city and you see some thugs you don't like, walk up to them and back-talk them. Then they attack, because they're stupid, and you and your companions cut them up. Then you wait a day and their boss shows up with a large group of thugs. You then get into a street brawl, but only the Gang Leader is using a bladed weapon and the other guys just use clubs (so your guys will only get wounded). If you win the fight, you get points with the Clan that owns the city and some loot along with points with a Rival Gang Leader.

If you have a high enough charm skill, you can actually get into some fights with the other gang leader once you've knocked the first one several pegs down without losing too much relations. My neutral char was able to get to "friendly" with Empress Rhagaea this way, because apparently getting into bloody gang wars in her city is perfectly fine with her....

Since you're doing a lot of waiting, it's also a good time to work on your smithing skill due to the accumulated rest. So stock up on hardwood and looted weapons before giving this a shot. Fair warning, I've found some gang leaders near unbeatable due to their swarms of high level thugs while others were cake walks. So make sure your own private army is top tier (nice time to do all this is in the beginning when you have between 20 and 50 troops).

Let's just say I turned Lycaron into an episode of HBO Rome :wink:

Last edited:
Shops are already fun to play with, and will get moreso in finished game.

They need to acquire goods after which they'll produce other goods and try to sell them.

Only three steps, but how many possibilities! If you lead an army and visits a town and then a bunch of villages, other parties will buy out all the grain - but at higher price than if you did it the other way around. If these villages supply the city in which you have a brewery, your profits will be wiped out if you visit city first. If you however are a grain hoarder, suddenly the hungry recruits are buying out all your beer, raising price of grain you can immediately profit off.

That production one way or another seems to be affected by caravans, so there's definitely a lot of wiggle room to try to sabotage opponents or boost your strongholds - these effects were recently nerfed, but there's a potential there (well, was, and got hastily nerfed before some noticed (I've only learned this from hotfix patchnotes).
Makes me hope that the weapons we sell to the market translate to using up hardwood and slowly smelt the weapons into raw materials, ot otherwise affect military growth of that region.

Eagerly awaiting the skills-related patches, there's so much that is closed off that it's hard to give too concrete advice.

I tended to scribble prices early on, saw author of this guide this reccommend that as well. Regions have a flow to them which you can use in different ways, although starting a new save many are all out of whack - but by the time you have 15k spare, local prices and amounts should be an indication, and mainly the villages tied to that specific city.

Right now I have most consistent success with Breweries. Grain is almost everywhere, and Beer is always in demand. Only gets messed up when there's a lot of warfare in local area, which both dries up local food supply quick via depleted granaries and raided villages, and also inhibits villager/caravan traffic. So I try to pick "interior" cities away from borders, but of course no guarantee, as enemies often beeline deep in enemy territory anyway.

If there's some iron ore nearby, Smithies also seem to work well. Potteries too, even after the "pottery nerf" a couple patches ago.

1. Press N and search for your name, it should show age there I think, if not check on your clan's page

2. Find the girl you want to marry, talk to her & you will know which option to select, its similar like in warband. You need "charm" skill to persuade her to marry you I believe but its pretty much a gamble

3. Relations can be improved by saving them in battles, helping them, or from time to time they have quests, I usually find quests when I visit their keep & if they are in the castle. I think if you donate lord prisoners to your king/lord it also increases relation
Do i need to be vassal of some kingdom to do this?Is it possible to marry town girl?Do i need to be some higher level to get option in dialog to charm them?I talk with ladies in town(commoners) but theres no such option to flatter them.

If there's some iron ore nearby, Smithies also seem to work well. Potteries too, even after the "pottery nerf" a couple patches ago.

I tend to do smithies now, as my pottery shop in Pen Cannoc (THREE clay villages) won't ever make over 100 profit.

The prosperity of the town, the number of household registration, the output of raw materials from the surrounding villages, the flow of villagers and caravans, the number of bandits around, the number of shops of the same type, whether the war is spread.
I don't know if there is a practical relationship between the security of a town and other factors.
It is suggested that the blacksmith shop be built together with the wood workshop, easy to buy equipment.
Hoping to set up a gang to rob the store/kingdom Treasury on a mission or event.

Do i need to be vassal of some kingdom to do this?Is it possible to marry town girl?Do i need to be some higher level to get option in dialog to charm them?I talk with ladies in town(commoners) but theres no such option to flatter them.

At this moment you do not need to be a vassal nor even a mercenary to start courtship. There will be a few conversation checks so save scumming is advised.

You can offer to some non-noble NPCs, though this may be subject to change and I didn't check if the conversation doesn't lead to "and whos hand are you offering".

Note: for Nobles and Companions both - you can find them via [N] encyclopedia , and in top right see where they've last been seen. If you don't know the place you can click the empty circle next to location name and it'll stay visible on all zoom levels on world map, making it easy to find.

I tend to do smithies now, as my pottery shop in Pen Cannoc (THREE clay villages) won't ever make over 100 profit.
Yeah, but they are riddled with one of worst bandit hotspots in Calradia. So Pen Cannoc economy can at times behave like that of a recently sieged city unless you take care to clean out at least the two nearby camps + some stragglers. Thin valley means villagers from the south rarely even get close enough to get robbed, nevermind actually get to the city.
Which seems fair it's high maintenance, because it's a very strong location, precisely because of those features that can cause you to lose money on shop there if left alone.

tip: be carefull, if an ennemy kingdom take the city where you have your workshop, it will be give to someone else. Be sure to sell it before the assault. Only if the invader is also your ennemy. If you're neutral with everyone, no problem, it will remains your, no matter which clan possess it.

Yeah, but they are riddled with one of worst bandit hotspots in Calradia. So Pen Cannoc economy can at times behave like that of a recently sieged city unless you take care to clean out at least the two nearby camps + some stragglers. Thin valley means villagers from the south rarely even get close enough to get robbed, nevermind actually get to the city.
Which seems fair it's high maintenance, because it's a very strong location, precisely because of those features that can cause you to lose money on shop there if left alone.

Ahh, thanks for that info, that makes a lot of sense. Since I don't like to patrol there all the time, I will keep my business elsewhere for now.

tip: be carefull, if an ennemy kingdom take the city where you have your workshop, it will be give to someone else. Be sure to sell it before the assault. Only if the invader is also your ennemy. If you're neutral with everyone, no problem, it will remains your, no matter which clan possess it.

That was my expirience also, but in my recent playthrough I just joined vlandia as a merc. They were at war with battania and all my workshops in those cities stayed active. Now we have war with northern empire and my smithy in Epicrotea is also still active. Did that change?

That was my expirience also, but in my recent playthrough I just joined vlandia as a merc. They were at war with battania and all my workshops in those cities stayed active. Now we have war with northern empire and my smithy in Epicrotea is also still active. Did that change?

M first thought was that maybe the rule doesn't apply to mercs, only happens to vassals. But then, I'm pretty sure I've had workshops stay alive in enemy cities even as a vassal, at least for a while. So now I suspect it might be dependent on clan relations rather than faction war/peace state? Aserai & Vlandia may be at war, but as a Vlandian merc/vassal my workshop in, say, Askar will be fine until I do something hostile specifically towards whichever Aserai clan owns Askar. Just a hunch based on anecdotal observation; haven't tested it. Maybe was just a bug, lol.

Ahh, thanks for that info, that makes a lot of sense. Since I don't like to patrol there all the time, I will keep my business elsewhere for now.

why not just create 1 or 2 parties there to hunt for bandits? That's what I always do when I build a smithy in Epicrotea (2 sources of Iron ore) or a Pottery in Pen Canoc

The parties will wander eventually, chasing bandits, and selling loot and prisoners in cities but they never stray too far away I think

why not just create 1 or 2 parties there to hunt for bandits? That's what I always do when I build a smithy in Epicrotea (2 sources of Iron ore) or a Pottery in Pen Canoc

The parties will wander eventually, chasing bandits, and selling loot and prisoners in cities but they never stray too far away I think

A am not so sure what they do and in what area they stay after creating, so thats one reason. The other is that I don't have enough companions yet, 3 are on caravan duty and two others are in my party. Those two are not the types I would use for other parties though(no tactics, leadership or steward) and they are still in training...also they are my scout and surgeon :smile:

Okay, so after we got in another war with battania, my workshops in their cities are gone. Thhey captured another city where I had a workshop and it stayed active. So maybe its a bit bugged and only checks at the beginning of a war?

Back
Top Bottom