1.1.4 workshops better, problematic

Users who are viewing this thread

Depends on what issues are identified and how they can be solved. You do have the release plans which still have outstanding items on them. This is a bulk of what we are working on. The development update videos are reviews of recent patches, so they don't provide what you are describing. Still, we are working on one to follow the next content update.
Where is the release plans?

diplomacy decision making, the clan-kingdom lifecycle, the mission atmosphere and weather system, as well as a variety of quality of life changes such as party member sorting. And yet others will be more involved such as the claimant quest. This is what i have been waiting for. At least i know TW are working on it thanks.

"Quality of life changes" still gives me a tentative hope that we might eventually get some basic aesthetic options like customizing clan or family appearances and choosing our horse color. It's just so weird and annoying that it locks you into one default horse color in character creation.

Spending 30+ minutes fiddling with character creation to get the right default horse color and a brother that looks about right for a theme you have in mind, then potentially repeating the process because it randomizes his height which it doesn't display in character creation, is a substantial barrier to coming back to the game and replaying for me. I might be a bit OCD about this kind of thing but it drives me insane restarting several times due to completely pointless RNGifying of these aesthetic features.

I also think the Banner selection in terms of colors and symbols is a bit barebones right now.

On topic and on the subject of workshops, though, it would be nice if you could assign caravans to a pathing which would synergize with workshops, or even set them up to focus on buying/selling certain goods. Each caravan could have a little drop down menu in your clan management section for it that gives you some options to change its behavior. Set a caravan to go on a path that picks up the input, and also to buy its output and take it somewhere it sells well. This would allow setting up workshops and caravans to be better integrated into a player's overall strategy, rather than just something they buy and forget about, occasionally setting them up again due to captures and so on.

This would also allow you to stop your caravans from being total numbskulls and trading deep in hostile territory.

as a merc with high roguery, I can make around 10k a day off my merc contract then with 100 roguery your getting 25% more loot.
also to add to that if you work early on maximizing your Charisma and get the 275.. you will typically get +12 pr day, while typically the decay is 8? unless its superhigh.

that way you can rake in thousands for doing nothing either :razz:
(Influence is the currency for those not aware of it).
Now if you fight and win battles and have high rougery on top of that etc, war is good to quote the Ferengi rules of aquisition..

+1 please no workshop levels
I wouldn't mind workshop levels being added somewhere down the line after they're good, but yeah workshops need more interactivity like in warband where we could give the input directly to our workshop and ask them to stop producing/selling for a time and they need to be overall profitable (unless a specific workshop doesn't make sense for that town).

Also somewhat unrelated, please for the love of god make it so that caravans don't go through territory belonging to a faction at war with their own.

I wouldn't mind workshop levels being added somewhere down the line after they're good, but yeah workshops need more interactivity like in warband where we could give the input directly to our workshop and ask them to stop producing/selling for a time and they need to be overall profitable (unless a specific workshop doesn't make sense for that town).

Also somewhat unrelated, please for the love of god make it so that caravans don't go through territory belonging to a faction at war with their own.
It's kind of late to add workshop levels now? After 3+ years since it was 'supposed' to be a thing and where it could be played around with up to official release? Especially with the track record with whatever features TW adds - not hopeful it would be anything what the majority thought it would be if this was what will be among the patch.

It's kind of late to add workshop levels now? After 3+ years since it was 'supposed' to be a thing and where it could be played around with up to official release? Especially with the track record with whatever features TW adds - not hopeful it would be anything what the majority thought it would be if this was what will be among the patch.
Eeh, I think it can be added relatively easily, if by workshop levels we mean workshops that can be upgraded (either through player investment or naturally through sufficient passage of time/amount of profits to provide x% more output per input material (or maybe buy input at a lower price?) for presumably higher fixed costs.

The issue if they added levels right now would be that higher level workshops would just be a detriment to themselves. If they somehow improve the overall profitability of workshops, (but only then) I don't see why workshops shouldn't be made upgradeable.

It's kind of late to add workshop levels now? After 3+ years since it was 'supposed' to be a thing and where it could be played around with up to official release?
They weren't supposed to be a thing afaik. There was a field for internal experimentation and potential future use. That remains the case.

Eeh, I think it can be added relatively easily, if by workshop levels we mean workshops that can be upgraded (either through player investment or naturally through sufficient passage of time/amount of profits to provide x% more output per input material (or maybe buy input at a lower price?) for presumably higher fixed costs.
I am personally not a huge fan of the levels. Workshops are intertwined with the local economy, which has some outcomes that are not necessarily intuitive. IMO most players would expect an upgrade to increase profits. But if you were to increase output that may overflow the market and actually lead to falling prices and loss. If you were to decrease costs, that may lead to AI workshops not defaulting when they should (assuming they are permitted to upgrade) - potentially making settlements perform worse than before.

Naturally, these challenges can be overcome (should they even come true as I imagine them), but even then - it likely just ends up with a 1 time interaction that makes a number go bigger. To me, something that improves interactivity is a more valuable change.

I am personally not a huge fan of the levels. Workshops are intertwined with the local economy, which has some outcomes that are not necessarily intuitive. IMO most players would expect an upgrade to increase profits. But if you were to increase output that may overflow the market and actually lead to falling prices and loss. If you were to decrease costs, that may lead to AI workshops not defaulting when they should (assuming they are permitted to upgrade) - potentially making settlements perform worse than before.

Naturally, these challenges can be overcome (should they even come true as I imagine them), but even then - it likely just ends up with a 1 time interaction that makes a number go bigger. To me, something that improves interactivity is a more valuable change.
Which I'd rather too, they already barely offer anything in terms of gameplay - as they are, you're essentially just paying X denar for a party wage discount; just instead of needing to accumulate exp/skill for perk, it's through money.

I would agree that it would be a good idea to add some degree of control over caravans. That might just be enough to create that extra layer of dynamics between caravans and workshops that might satify those who enjoy tinkering with these.

It could be a simpler option where you can set them to only trade within your faction, a slightly more advanced option where you can set certain factions they might trade with, or a more advanced option where you can either "paint" an area your caravan can trade or simply create a route for your caravan.

Enough about workshops lol. How about we add different formations and army compositions that the AI can use and a revert to the warband system of selecting which troops belong in a specific group. Its almost impossible to separate your spear units from your regular infantry.

I completely agree with this, and the only "meaningful" use for workshop levels I can think of would be to boost the food levels in a newly conquered town, but that can be achieved just as well by giving the player & AI the ability to change their towns' tariffs to attract caravans.

Anyways, could you inform us of what changes are going to be made to workshops with the upcoming patch please?

They weren't supposed to be a thing afaik. There was a field for internal experimentation and potential future use. That remains the case.

exactly I tested it with a mod. The increased output put too much in the town driving the price down and lowering profits. I even warn people about taking the 75 steward perk that increases production as that can hurt with that little bit alone. I released my video after testing and some shops still need massive work and would be more than happy to share my finding if something could get done but its been over a year and nothing has been changed. Some shops are terrible.

Last edited:

I agree don't bother with workshop levels, but do reduce their base buy price by like 15%.

I find workshops and trade are good for renown via artisan community, or buying fiefs if you grind that far, and that's about it. Changing the price of workshops would not change a thing for me - I'm not against it but either way I'm getting trade to exactly 125 for renown from caravans or workshops, and then ignoring it. Like smithing the gameplay of it is too barebones and grindy and only really serves to get one resource faster(renown for trade, money for smithing) via tedious and formulaic methods, so it's a chore not an enjoyable element of the gameplay.

I think trade needs workshops and caravans to generate high reward optional side quests with noteworthy rewards. The other workshop and caravan owners have issues with bandits or rivals or political obstacles that you can resolve, yours should too. Imagine using charm or roguery to manage political obstacles, or of course more straightforward combat to deal with any bandits or other criminals involved.
yeah, back in 2020 I made a massive rockus proposing good changes to make this game feel more like a game instead of a barebones platform, suggestions similar to the ones you pointed here were made, but everything I suggested was thoroughly ignored. Same for good old friends within the community who were way more active than me, specially @Terco_Viejo .
I'm not sure this game's ever going to reach even bare minimum potential pertaining fun-factor / feeling "complete".
The main issue with BL is it's Game Design - cannot be improved with a massive change in vision from the Lead Designers themselves or them resigning / being replace by better Game Designers...

You're right, and we don't even need to delve too deep as to why, pure observation already tells us that: If economy fiddling was fun, most people would want to work in that field. In a video-game, core issues with a capitalist market are exhacerbated, and that can never be fun, it's physically impossible, unless the player has the "economist craves", which would do them good to not play videogames and simply apply that into their real lives instead...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom