[Casual] How's your current game(s) going?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm playing Sturgia culture with almost only Sturgian troops (+Outriders/Skolder/Lake Rats are kosher). Also trying to use mainly Sturgian gear, but ... taking some liberties there too.

It's been the slowest campaign I've done partly 'cause of all the long treks through the snow with a slower infantry heavy party, and partly because you can't just replenish whatever troop type from wherever. But also partly because I wasted a bunch of time in the mid-game dinking around and being picky about getting companions and wives, and shopping for gear that I spent too many denars on. On the bright side, that means I have tons of family members 'cause of more time passing and might experience more of that dynastic dynamic of the game this time. Then again, so do NPCs and I seem to need to capture more lords than usual to effectively do the catch-em-all strategy with mounted patrols+keen sight.

I'm on day 920, taken most of Sturgia and have 5 of their clans, was going to leave a thin line of Sturgia as a buffer but then one of the clans I recruited has a fief on the other side of it ... foiling my plans to be safe to expand in one direction for awhile. Going to have to deal with Khuzait soon. I'm also at the point where money is sort of no object but selling all my loot is almost impossible in a reasonable timeframe, so regretting buying expensive gear early which I could just trade loot for now.

Using an intelligence / charisma build as usual. Was hoping to complete world conquest without any KOs, but I was being too brave in siege offense and got mobbed by a swarm of recruits from a reinforcement wave that spawned in where I didn't expect it and trapped me.

I've recently stopped playing until 1.2 comes out. The game simply is too grindy, unbalanced, incomplete, unchallenging, and repetitive right now. Whacking enemies off horseback with a 2h mallet is fun but only for a few hours, not 50, and that can't carry the rest of the game.

Holding out hope that 1.2 makes the game actually fun, and that TW are finally going to listen to the complaints that have been around since launch.

I've recently stopped playing until 1.2 comes out. The game simply is too grindy, unbalanced, incomplete, unchallenging, and repetitive right now. Whacking enemies off horseback with a 2h mallet is fun but only for a few hours, not 50, and that can't carry the rest of the game.

Holding out hope that 1.2 makes the game actually fun, and that TW are finally going to listen to the complaints that have been around since launch.
Maybe try some mods? Anno domini 1259, realms of thrones, bannerkings, the sika one, eagle rising.... there are quite a few big mods you coud try and there is always modded warband. That is always a good 100 hours or so

Probably going to put it on hold. Have killed southern empire. Battania is dead. Sturgia is dead. Kuzaits only border is with me(might be able to kill them in this war if i really push, but definitely in two). Vassals are idiots and are trying to open up a war with a third faction, so i have to manage influence carefully to prevent them from deciding to throw everything away.

If i finish world conquest, i probably am quitting, uninstalling, and never coming back. If i stop playing, i might hold out for the next patch, but might not. Game comes across as UNFINISHED, and its only made worse when you learn that some of the things that you think are unfinished aren't actually: they actually intended some of these things as design decisions. And what's worse, they've known about how much people dislike those decisions, and yet they're still the what the game has on offer. Inspires basically 0 confidence when it comes to making this game better and makes it extremely hard to recommend to other people without feeling like i'm compromising on my integrity(core of game is fun, but everything else is incidentally or deliberately designed poorly to make it less fun).I don't want to recommend something that looks, feels, and plays as if its unfinished without some road map for finishing it.

Marriage is broken beyond first generation(yourself). I am a king, and i am constantly spammed with offers to marry my two sons to unknown women(if you haven't discovered them, game won't let you know anything about them) I have to track down a head of a clan personally to make a marriage offer on behalf of my sons, and just because they have unmarried daughters DOES not mean that i can make that marriage offer, since all of them for some reason happen to have a 50+ year old woman in their clan that they're prioritizing marrying off first over their daughters. You can't select anyone else, its just whoever that person has, and age seems to be a priority. In my playthrough, i effectively can't marry these sons at all, because just about everyone has some old woman they want to get rid of first, and i've spent a huge amount of time trying to solve this. System is deliberately constructed in a way that just results in tedium and a huge waste of the players time.

if smithing wasn't as busted of a way to make money, you'd be screwed entirely(having tried every other way to make money ie caravans from the start etc) when it comes to making money because the game's economy makes little sense and deliberately designed to prevent you from ever getting ahead. Villages getting raided is basically a nuclear bomb hitting your city, and you get get raided endlessly by fiefless factions who are almost impossible to eliminate. Massive smithing money lets you mitigate all the poor design decisions that make this game as tedious as it is, but even then, that doesn't make interacting with those broken systems fun, just something whose consequences you can ignore to some degree. If they were to "Fix" smithing and how broken it is, but leave the current economic status quo in place, it would literally destroy this game for most people.

Its just very weird to have the core of the game be good(medieval battle simulator) and just have it impaired by all of these decisions that straight up get in the way of the game being good. Who is actually making these decisions? Have they actually had a full playthrough of this game?

EDIT: Can't believe i'm actually doing it but im downloading mods to get rid of some of the stupid tedium that comes from factions that have been fiefless for so long. Its better than executing every single one, but i really don't want to have to go through the process of figuring out what i need when i'd much rather.. you know, play the game. I generally don't ever download mods to fix deliberate stupid game design decisions by the people who make the game, so, yea, I don't have very much confidence in the developers right now.

Last edited:
Finished world conquest, now I really want an update before my next campaign but I don't want to wait QQ.

I think Empire victory is probably > Barbarian victory for world conquest, since the Barbarian victory scatters the Empire lords into other factions you don't necessarily want having more clans. I got lucky and most of them went to Khuzait which had 0 fiefs so they just ended up a nuisance occasionally raiding villages.

Since there won't be any significant improvement going on in the enemy AI or Diplomacy department in any future update, I am wondering if there is a mod that helps with the battles. In particular, something that helps me organise reinforcements, without affecting troops already on the field. If I have a archers on the right flank, and reinforcements spawn in some random empty area on the left, how exactly am I suppose to command them independently? Same with all other unit types in all sorts of situations.

Is there a mod that allows me to attack a particular target on the field? I heard RBM might do this but again, it's been a while since I played but couldn't get over how undeveloped the only developed part of the game was.

Back
Top Bottom