Shield design ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Celtichugs said:
Hehe, I never said you said it was unrealistic! :smile:

Problem with Forums etc is tone is hard to read and things are misread so easily :sad:

Eitherway, I wasn't saying you were saying so! Sorry if it came across that way, mate!

Ah my fault mate  :grin:
No worries.

Couldn't find the Norman thread, but I've been wanting to ask-

Is it true that Normans did use Round Shields as Infantry, or did every Norman during and around the Battle of Hastings use tear-drop shields?

hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_shields.htm

*Drops that on the table*

As for the Norman shields - they did indeed have a few round shields. Not as wide as Viking shields, but still round. They also used flat-topped kite shields alongside the tear-drop shaped kite shields.

Ex:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Geoffrey_of_Anjou_Monument.jpg

(I would format everything, but "Sorry, you are not allowed to post external links until you have been on this forum longer." Popped up.)

Hm, the flat top one could be an equivalent of conical shields for Normans. Very expensive and only for cavalry.

Sorry, what can you teach me about these 2 shields (especially about the shape of the shield shown in the 1st link)?

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=61163.150 (made by Rath0s it seems, last post of the page)

http://www.latex-weaponry.com/images/shield_viking_fd008.jpg

What do you mean with "way too old"?. Doesn't it fit the time frame? is its shape not realistic? Maybe none of the factions available in Vikingr were proved to use it? is it just "ugly"? :grin:

We are talking about new designs for shields, i think that one matches all the attributes needed to fit the game, correct me if i'm wrong.
However it was only an idea, i reckon i don't have your knowledge about all this, and it's not so important if it's implemented or not :smile:

C_Ronin_Rico said:
What do you mean with "way too old"?. Doesn't it fit the time frame? is its shape not realistic? Maybe none of the factions available in Vikingr were proved to use it? is it just "ugly"? :grin:

We are talking about new designs for shields, i think that one matches all the attributes needed to fit the game, correct me if i'm wrong.
However it was only an idea, i reckon i don't have your knowledge about all this, and it's not so important if it's implemented or not :smile:

Like Celt says, it's to old.
It is indeed, a great shield design, but it wasn't used in Vikingr time.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the last time you would see these shields would be when the Germanic tribes got to England. So roughly 500 AD.

It is a great shield, just not for this mod :sad:

Hm, I remember discussion about adding Balts. How about giving them the proto-pavisse shield as a main distincting factor? Also some neat long knives. It would be a faction of cav killers, pretty much alike native Rhodoks.

jacw5.jpg

I totally agree with such a faction. But I proposed it before and heard those shields/troops were a bit to late era for our game. More like (early?) 12th century

edit: answer in the "new factions" threat on this. But what North European faction would REALLY add something? Slavs are very close to the Rus. Wends and Continental Saxons are not that different either.  Only thing that comes to mind to me is the Franks, but they  an are old gear faction, not really 11th century.

in my opinion it would be Great with one Baltic and one Slavic Faction to Vikingr, i guess both got raided and such during the Viking age  :smile:

Hengwulf said:
C_Ronin_Rico said:

Like Celt says, it's to old.
It is indeed, a great shield design, but it wasn't used in Vikingr time.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the last time you would see these shields would be when the Germanic tribes got to England. So roughly 500 AD.

It is a great shield, just not for this mod :sad:

Ok Hengwulf, thank you very much for your explanation. Since Ualraig named the Picts, i thought it could fit the mod but i was wrong :razz:

About new factions, i think we all would love to see a faction born and grown in our homeland, but also we have to consider how they could contribute on improving the game. Having a duplicate of an already existent faction it's useless in my opinion.
Moreover, creating a new faction is a huge amount of work and for how things are now i think priorities lead the dev team on a different way.

Further more, the Goídil faction has - in the grand scheme of things - only just been released. They've been out for a good few month now, but in Mod and development terms that is really quite recent.

UlfrTheMighty said:
in my opinion it would be Great with one Baltic and one Slavic Faction to Vikingr, i guess both got raided and such during the Viking age  :smile:

Adding a Slavic faction would not be the best choice. They were not raided by the vikings, but Rus. It would also be difficult to make a good baltic faction since we already have Goidil. Making realistic clothes and equipment would be almost the same as Goidil since both were a poor faction that were raided.  :???:

Eivynd_Teigson said:
Adding a Baltic faction would not be the best choice. They were not raided by the vikings, but Rus. It would also be difficult to make a good baltic faction since we already have Goidil. Making realistic clothes and equipment would be almost the same as Goidil since both were a poor faction that were raided.  :???:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!  :shock: :!: :?:

O ****, meant the slavic fation :lol:
The Baltic faction would have been good, but I think that should wait too beacuse we got Goidil in the last patch.

Eivynd_Teigson said:
Adding a Slavic faction would not be the best choice. They were not raided by the vikings, but Rus. It would also be difficult to make a good baltic faction since we already have Goidil. Making realistic clothes and equipment would be almost the same as Goidil since both were a poor faction that were raided.  :???:

Eivynd_Teigson said:
O ****, meant the slavic fation :lol:
The Baltic faction would have been good, but I think that should wait too beacuse we got Goidil in the last patch.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!  :shock: :!: :?:

No, no, no, no. Slavs were COMPLETELY different from Goidil, and not poor. They had LOTS of contacts with Norsemen and Ottonic empire (of course if we consider western Slavs), even more than with Kievan Rus. The reason western Slavs wouldn't be the best choice is that they would estethically be a buffer between east and west (which they were) basically not adding new equipment, but mixing the existing one (well, I still think we could make them both historically accurate AND distinct, but maybe Balts are a better choice).

Also - for those who are ranting about Goidil being just released - it's just the discussion, noone expects the topic factions to be added immediately :razz:

Back
Top Bottom