Server Statistics and World Ranking - In development

Users who are viewing this thread

Styo said:
How does this stats work?
Servers admins give me access to their log files. Those files include a record of all matches from particular day. Then I parse those logs, build database and that's how it works. The site is updated automatically every day.

By the way: I don't have much time lately but I'm planning to enhance layout to make it nicer, improve compatibility with different browsers and add kill ratio history for every player.

Some other stats I would find interesting are the number of team kills a player both causes and is a victim of.  And, I'm not sure if it's possible, but total damage done and received would be interesting too.  Just some thoughts.

CrimsonShroud said:
Some other stats I would find interesting are the number of team kills a player both causes and is a victim of.  And, I'm not sure if it's possible, but total damage done and received would be interesting too.  Just some thoughts.
Unfortunately all of this is not included in logs. The only way I can add new factors is a support from game developers.

Styo said:
A Spear is not a lance?  :???:
Weapon recognition depends on the icon showed by game in messages. Lance is lance however most kills from horseback is made using some kind of spear and the game show spear icon instead of horseback kill. I hope it will get fixed in the next patch.

By the way: _nK_Battle_Stats_Server is added to the list.

Thank you Tul for your work on this.  I was talking to a buddy of mine today about adding this to our little practice duel server.

I read the entire post and I honestly think some of you have no idea what you are talking about.

This is a graphical listing of information provided by server admins.  All the information is provided in game if someone wanted to sit there and log it, but why do that when the game already does that for server admins and provides it to them.

It sounds as if some people don't like the idea that someone that hosts or pays for a server hosting a multiplayer server has logs of what they did in said persons server.

This irritates me because I have been an admin in many different games over the past 8 years or so. Some folks show up in your server and decide to tell you how it should be run. 

If you don't want your stats listed then don't join the servers that send in logs. 

My Disclaimer: As you can tell by my post count, I don't post.  I only discovered this game about a week before launch.  My stats are terrible.  I feel like I have had a good night when I am 1:1 K/D.  I honestly believe I am getting better at the game but so is everyone else.

reasta said:
If you don't want your stats listed then don't join the servers that send in logs. 
Well, we were stating our opinion in the hope that not too many servers would use the stat recording system. If admins see that a good deal of players do not want their stats to be listed, they'll be less eager to send in their logs.

I don't have a problem with servers recording logs. But I do when all my stats get recorded and sent in for world-wide ranking. It would prevent me from just lolling about when I feel like it. It would make me do my very best all the time and make me overcompetitive, because I involuntarily care about my rank. Something I do not want to. As long as there is an option for my stats not to be recorded, I'm fine with it, but I do not want my stats to be recorded against my will. That seems a reasonable request to me.

So, apart from that, my problem lies with the concept of stat recording. Which is, in my opinion, silly. It's no more than world-wide dickwaving, and unfair dickwaving too. Unfair because it only records kills and deaths, not the situation. I could absolutely excel at a certain playstyle, but it would not get recorded if the situation where I excel in does not occur very often. Or I could be the jack-of-all-trades, being good at every class, but I would be surpassed in stats by a player who is good in one and only one thing, if it allows him to massacre inexperienced players. I could fight five people off at once, and die after killing three of them, while someone who does five backrapes would already get a greater score from it. I could defeat a fantastic player at minute-long single combat, while anyone swinging a great long axe would get the same out of it by killing a random player while spamming LMB. I could be an outstanding support player, but that playstyle doesn't reward with kills or stats. Or I could just have bad luck, do terrible for one day, and it'll take days before I made it up again. I see competitiveness as a bad thing, nurturing it with stats and ranking only enlarges the problem.

Your post was rather uncalled for, really. Not only do you storm onto the forum in a rather aggressive manner, your arguments also indicate that you did not read our posts thoroughly. Most of what I wrote here has already been written and directly contradict what you are saying.

kingofnoobia said:
Well, we were stating our opinion in the hope that not too many servers would use the stat recording system. If admins see that a good deal of players do not want their stats to be listed, they'll be less eager to send in their logs.

I understand this, btw there have been more people applaud this then discourage it in this thread.

kingofnoobia said:
I don't have a problem with servers recording logs. But I do when all my stats get recorded and sent in for world-wide ranking. It would prevent me from just lolling about when I feel like it. It would make me do my very best all the time and make me overcompetitive, because I involuntarily care about my rank. Something I do not want to. As long as there is an option for my stats not to be recorded, I'm fine with it, but I do not want my stats to be recorded against my will. That seems a reasonable request to me.
  So you don't have a problem with the servers you play in recording logs just what the person or persons do with the logs? 

It also bothers me that you believe because someone does choose to offer this on their server that they force you to play a certain way.  You have repeated this line of thinking throughout the thread.  I don't know you, we may very well would get along great face to face, but this is a way of thinking that deeply bothers me.  Because someone doesn't have the self control to make individual decisions everyone else should conform to their ideology.

Opt in /Opt out is not an issue.  You are a guest in their house.  To me this is simple statement.  I would think the same way about someone requesting a Battle server to swap to Siege because that's what this person wanted to play the next round.  I believe the author has went above and beyond making it possible for someone to opt out of an option the server admin chose.

The entire next paragraph I can agree with you on to a point.  That point is that stats are already counted in K/D per round and those have a huge influence on the game instantly.  I know many time I have been TK'd by someone rushing in to "steal" a kill.  One of the reasons they do this is they want the next tier weapon/armor and to get it they have to have the kills.
kingofnoobia said:
Your post was rather uncalled for, really. Not only do you storm onto the forum in a rather aggressive manner, your arguments also indicate that you did not read our posts thoroughly. Most of what I wrote here has already been written and directly contradict what you are saying.

I guess my suggestion that those that provide servers for others to play in are the ones that have the right to make decisions for their servers is uncalled for.  I came searching for this thread to find the app.  It bothers me that some would require me to Opt in to a feature I wanted on my server.  I made this disclaimer about when I joined because I had a gut feeling someone would bring that up btw.  I have been no more aggressive than those against this.  I have also not seen a single post where anyone mentioned the fact that ultimately those that host the servers have the right to do with it what they damn well please.

reasta said:
It also bothers me that you believe because someone does choose to offer this on their server that they force you to play a certain way.  You have repeated this line of thinking throughout the thread.  I don't know you, we may very well would get along great face to face, but this is a way of thinking that deeply bothers me.  Because someone doesn't have the self control to make individual decisions everyone else should conform to their ideology.
It makes everyone change their way of playing, because everyone is an egoistic monkey worrying about his public image, which in this case would highly be related to his stats. Even if the server isn't recording my stats it records everyone else's, as a result making them abuse every single glitch in the game in order to get better stats. I've seen this happen in other games as well.

I could defeat a fantastic player at minute-long single combat, while anyone swinging a great long axe would get the same out of it by killing a random player while spamming LMB.
That's not true actually, you get a MUCH higher score for killing a good player than a poor one. However in long term statistics it influences the ranking very slightly because players are quite fair in fact. You can see a big difference only in daily stats where someone with just a few kills occupies the first place.
The rest of the problems you listed are true.

I have a suggestion. In the MP respect thread in the clan hall we were discussion how to deal with poor behavior on servers, and we came to a conclusion that the biggest problem is rampant purposeful teamkilling. I think it would be a good idea if you could add the functionality to automatically ban players whose tk/kill or (tk/death)/(kill/death) ratio exceeds a certain threshold.

It should possible, since the only additional access you would need is read/write access to the ban list, and if admins want to also have manual control over these bans (like for unbanning the chronically clumsy), you could have the scripts ignore commented out players. Ideally, the functionality would be separate from the stat-tracking so admins could decide if they want one without the other, or both.

On a side note, Great job! The site is working quite well. Here is a reward for your hard work:
3783179580_06b9e8da45_o.jpg

I think that it's ****ed up somehow. Just to show:

Darsson 1.1 5.00 5 0
Carlotto 0.1 5.00 5 0
nK_Gravish 2.0 21.50 43 2
ZlicedBacon 61.1 9.67 58 6
Baron_Wolfgang_von_Stadler 48.6 8.25 33 4

Value don't work at all[should be(KR^1.2*Frags)/10]

AoC said:
I think that it's ****ed up somehow. Just to show:

Darsson 1.1 5.00 5 0
Carlotto 0.1 5.00 5 0
nK_Gravish 2.0 21.50 43 2
ZlicedBacon 61.1 9.67 58 6
Baron_Wolfgang_von_Stadler 48.6 8.25 33 4

Value don't work at all[should be(KR^1.2*Frags)/10]
Two posts above:
...you get a MUCH higher score for killing a good player than a poor one.
The formula you wrote is not valid anymore. Now the score depends on who you kill.

MadocComadrin, I don't think that admins will allow me to modify data on their servers. Moreover I'm not able to detect teamkills. It would be also quite controversial to ban players in so arbitrary way.

Missed it :oops:, still searching by value show incorrect data (some players are missed like Raepsf, some have incorrect value like ZlicedBacon).

So you don't have a problem with the servers you play in recording logs just what the person or persons do with the logs?
It's more a matter of the accessability of the logs. Normally, only admins get to see the logs and only do so for administrating. Making logs open for the public is, in my opinion, breaking my privacy.

reasta said:
That's not exactly what I'm trying to say. No one forces me to play a certain way by using a stat tracker, but it generally encourages more competitiveness. I noticed that I care less about my stats than I originally thought, but the point still stands. People who know that what they are doing is being recorded will be more competitive, which is obviously a bad thing. It's the general atmosphere on the server that changes when everyone is aware of stat-recording.

Also, I never said that everyone should conform to my ideology. I won't resent a server owner for using the stats system. I probably wouldn't even avoid his server. But I do not like stats, and I am simply voicing my opinion and backing it up with arguments in the hope that admins planning on using it would reconsider, or use an opt-out system as well.

reasta said:
Opt in /Opt out is not an issue.  You are a guest in their house.  To me this is simple statement.  I would think the same way about someone requesting a Battle server to swap to Siege because that's what this person wanted to play the next round.  I believe the author has went above and beyond making it possible for someone to opt out of an option the server admin chose.
Firstly, stat recording is third party software. When I bought Warband, there was no mention at all about stat systems. That means that I was unaware of the existance of stat tracking. I did not agree to my stats being tracked in the license agreement. So I basically have the right to demand my stats not to be recorded. Your 'guest in their house' analogy would apply if stat tracking was an option provided by TaleWorlds itself, because I would be aware that servers may track my stats when I bought the game. If a host invites you to a party and you have to pay for it, you would probably not like it if on arrival it appears to be, say, a transvestite party.

Secondly, opting out is something that does not affect the other players on the server, while changing game mode is. The analogy is just silly. I don't get the problem with it. Who the **** cares if my stats don't get recorded?

The entire next paragraph I can agree with you on to a point.  That point is that stats are already counted in K/D per round and those have a huge influence on the game instantly.  I know many time I have been TK'd by someone rushing in to "steal" a kill.  One of the reasons they do this is they want the next tier weapon/armor and to get it they have to have the kills.
When I 'steal' a kill, which does occur from time to time (carefully though, you'll rarely see me teamkilling someone for it), it's more for the rush of the kill than for the money. The difference is that K/D per round is gone once the round is over, and the majority of players can more or less be at peace with a poor score, knowing that it doesn't have an influence on anything. But if you know your stats are going to be damaged permanently (assuming you care about them), a good deal of players will suddenly be much more eager to recklessly grab some kills, even at the expense of teammates.

I guess my suggestion that those that provide servers for others to play in are the ones that have the right to make decisions for their servers is uncalled for.  I came searching for this thread to find the app.  It bothers me that some would require me to Opt in to a feature I wanted on my server.  I made this disclaimer about when I joined because I had a gut feeling someone would bring that up btw.  I have been no more aggressive than those against this.  I have also not seen a single post where anyone mentioned the fact that ultimately those that host the servers have the right to do with it what they damn well please.
1. I've never been aggressive, I believe. The discussion was a while ago though, so I can't be sure without rechecking all my posts.
2. Server owners can do what they damn well please, I am just asking them not to use the stat system and backing it up with arguments. Don't see the problem with that. I can also say what I damn well please.
3. Server owners can do what they damn well please up to a certain extent. Third party software is not provided by the game publisher, so it is hardly ethical to force it onto players who do not want it. Opting out is a reasonable demand, to say the least.
4. Server owners can do what they damn well please as long as it is according to the law. I have serious privacy issues with this. Chadz already pointed out that this may very well be against European laws.

AoC said:
Missed it :oops:, still searching by value show incorrect data (some players are missed like Raepsf, some have incorrect value like ZlicedBacon).
Fixed. It was just a temporary problem that last for only few minutes. It was linked with uploading new data to server and due to my poor internet connection some files were omitted.

Back
Top Bottom