Selling Crafted Weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi All,

Since the latest patch, selling crafted weapons is pants.

I used to be able to sell a two handed sword for £20k+, now even a level 5 sword is selling for £2k and a level 1 javelin goes for £1k! I've spent a lot of time levelling my Smithing and it now seems wasted.

Has anyone else encountered this since the latest update?

Well good. No more easy money. It is nice to get rich so fast but it really makes game too easy and it ruin your game.

Well good. No more easy money. It is nice to get rich so fast but it really makes game too easy and it ruin your game.
I disagree, I am currently a vassal that has a deficit of £750 a day, selling weapons was a good way of keeping me in the black. This isn't the case anymore and its actually ruining my game as I cannot fund my garrison or my standing army. I have x3 enterprises that do not make much money and my caravan is raided frequently. I am flooding the market with rubbish level 1 javelins because they are easy to make and I make nearly as much from them as a level 5 crafted weapon.

This isn't about making easy money to cheat the game, its about a legitimate way of bank rolling my campaign. Like I originally mentioned, I have invested a lot of time and effort into Smithing which now seems completely redundant and has taken some of the enjoyment of the game away from me.

I really like the concept of creating weapons and unlocking the higher tiers, but what is point if you can't benefit from that effort? the traders sell higher tier weaponing for extortionate amounts, so its seems imbalanced to me.

Like I originally mentioned, I have invested a lot of time and effort into Smithing
Bro, levelling smithing is like the easiest thing to do in this game, you shouldn't complain about not being able to make ridiculous amounts of money out of almost thin air.

Bro, levelling smithing is like the easiest thing to do in this game, you shouldn't complain about not being able to make ridiculous amounts of money out of almost thin air.
Ok, so do you agree that a level 1 javelin that takes x3 materials should mostly have the same selling value as a level 5 two handed sword that takes much much more to craft, say all in all maybe x50 materials?

Like I have said, this isn't about making loads of money, its about a far value on the weapon crafted. If a level 1 weapon sells for £1k, how can a Level 5 weapon sell for £2k, which supposedly requires much more materials and effort on the part of the player, irrespective of actual time. I even made a fine steel two handed polearm that has a selling value of £191! the materials costs more than that in the first place.

Are you experiencing the same issue? or is Smithing not something that you bother doing in your game?

Smithing was busted when it came to making money.

This has been talked about over and over again that it was going to be addressed.

This is a game in EA: expect changes to the system, and what’s the most effective means within that system, constantly. The goal to balance is risk vs reward and effort vs outcome. Smithing was a no risk all reward task that game exponentially more then the effort put into it.

The changes needed to be made, as there shouldn’t be any obvious choices as to what is the best way to go about a game like this. When people are talking about balance, that’s what they are talking: effort vs outcome. If you are playing an EA game and something is making your play easy breezy, expect it to change (and you should want it changed to make a better final product)

Ok, so do you agree that a level 1 javelin that takes x3 materials should mostly have the same selling value as a level 5 two handed sword that takes much much more to craft, say all in all maybe x50 materials?

Like I have said, this isn't about making loads of money, its about a far value on the weapon crafted. If a level 1 weapon sells for £1k, how can a Level 5 weapon sell for £2k, which supposedly requires much more materials and effort on the part of the player, irrespective of actual time. I even made a fine steel two handed polearm that has a selling value of £191! the materials costs more than that in the first place.

Are you experiencing the same issue? or is Smithing not something that you bother doing in your game?
I don't really play nowadays, but last time I did, it was really easy to skill up blacksmithing, and crafting gave you a lot of exp on top of that.
I get what you're saying about prices being too low, but it's far better than it used to be with crafted polearms selling for 30k or something ridiculous like that. Obviously it will still get tweaked more.

OP sorry for you feel like you've wasted your time but smithing was so exploitable it was stupid, anything that helps counters that I'm all for. It got to the point that people would just smith and avoid any other ways of making money. I haven't tried smithing in awhile but yes crafting needs to have a major overhaul but this is a step in the right direction. Now if we can get TW to do something about the exploit of resetting battles in the middle without retreating I'll be really happy.

I laughed at how much crafted weapons were worth. I'm glad they are cutting it down. I didn't think it was realistic to make one weapon and buy the best gear in town for myself.

Even now, if OP didn't make a mistake in his numbers, a whole 3 weapons are needed to float him for a week. That doesn't seem like a lot. Any other fighting, trading, or winning in the Arena would increase his profit.

Hi All,

I used to be able to sell a two handed sword for £20k+, now even a level 5 sword is selling for £2k and a level 1 javelin goes for £1k! I've spent a lot of time levelling my Smithing and it now seems wasted.

Is this on the same save as before or an new game? I ask because the part you unlock are random so in some game you get parts to make super priced stuff soon and some games you don't. I wasn't aware they changed smithing, but if they did that's an improvement.
I still advise not to do smithing until they prevent the stored from creating and stocking your crafted items and do something to prevent slow down from all the crafted items being saved in you world. Ando f course it's not good for the main character to have a level bloated by a skill that doesn't = winning battles and survivability.

Money is not that useful and war is very prosperous.

This thread is so utterly ridiculous I'm wondering if it's a troll or not.
"hey guys, the price of crafted weapons went from absolutely ridiculously inflated to just pretty high, it's ruining my game !"
I suppose it must be a sort of new year joke.

I disagree, I am currently a vassal that has a deficit of £750 a day, selling weapons was a good way of keeping me in the black. This isn't the case anymore and its actually ruining my game as I cannot fund my garrison or my standing army. I have x3 enterprises that do not make much money and my caravan is raided frequently. I am flooding the market with rubbish level 1 javelins because they are easy to make and I make nearly as much from them as a level 5 crafted weapon.

This isn't about making easy money to cheat the game, its about a legitimate way of bank rolling my campaign. Like I originally mentioned, I have invested a lot of time and effort into Smithing which now seems completely redundant and has taken some of the enjoyment of the game away from me.

I really like the concept of creating weapons and unlocking the higher tiers, but what is point if you can't benefit from that effort? the traders sell higher tier weaponing for extortionate amounts, so its seems imbalanced to me.
You need to put that army to work, beat lords up and you get so much money! Peace time? Raid a village anyways and start a war!

Hi All,

Youtube is your friend. When I first started a new game with 1.5.6. it was hard to craft for a profit but after review some old videos on the topic I realize the more you forge stuff the more you learn crafting pieces. And there is the trick of buying pugios and xiphos and smelting them for their components. After that its a matter of resting in town and having lots of companions its actually not that hard right now. The cool down helps to balance things some maybe adding a crafting failure rate could balance things out along with a tone of some sort to tell the player they made a crap weapon.

I'm fine with the craft as it is in 1.5.6. and I agree with you, OP, crafting helps the finances of your kingdom and armies and gives you time to focus on building a kingdom making peace,recruiting troops and lords. This game isn't just swinging a sword and riding around its politics and politics costs money.

One man working as a blacksmith to pay the wages of 100s of soldiers.

I'm a carpenter should I be able to pay 200 marines salaries with what I make?
If you're crafting legendary items I'd expect more money, but making a few grand for one day of smithing doesn't seem too bad to me.

Last edited:
I know selling crafted weapons was waaaay overpowered before but ( if what he says is true) then a lvl 5 sword for 2k seems a little bit extreme. Maybe 4k or 5k would be more reasonable?

I am glad they nerfed it. I played leveling rebalanced which also nerfs smithing. It should be a good source of income from breaking down loot, not the primary source of income.

I know selling crafted weapons was waaaay overpowered before but ( if what he says is true) then a lvl 5 sword for 2k seems a little bit extreme. Maybe 4k or 5k would be more reasonable?
Even if it is it can always be adjusted. But it was so open for exploit that I'm actually surprised that TW didn't nerf this hard a long time ago.

Edit: I personally enjoy crafting in most games, but I can't say I've ever played one, before this game, where making a big profit was important. Usually it's so I can have better looking items or more powerful or different looking. In most single player games with crafting you're lucky to break even or make a small profit from crafting.

Last edited:
One man working as a blacksmith to pay the wages of 100s of soldiers.

I'm a carpenter should I be able to pay 200 marines salaries with what I make?
If you're crafting legendary items I'd expect more money, but making a few grand for one day of smithing doesn't seem too bad to me.

Making a weapon is way different from making a desk. IRL guns are very expensive things that can run into the tens of thousands. So making weapons that can be sold for a very high price makes some sense. You can't just go to Walmart and buy an uzi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom