Screenshottery Thread Mk.2

Users who are viewing this thread

France
December 14th, 1400 hours
1st battalion, A Company (cause who the **** has the patience to rename these) has been tasked to secure a bridge going over a railroad. The bridge has plenty of tree cover and would be a pain to keep clear unless occupied, and it can safely be assumed the germans will attempt the same from the East.

Friendly Forces:
-An armored infantry company, consisting of three platoons with three rifle squads, two M1919A4 medium machineguns and an M2 mortar team. 1st Platoon with their antitank guns are not present for the task.
-Four M4 Sherman tanks, and an M18 Hellcat tank destroyer
-A P51D Mustang is on standby to provide close air support with machineguns.

Enemy Forces:
We're expecting a similar force of an armor supported infantry company to approach from the East. The exact composition will remain unknown until contact is made.
Yj1rR.jpg
biZMY.jpg
JPG artifacts are to enhance the historical feeling.
The enemy is expected to advance towards the bridge from the Northern side of the road, which provides plenty of tree cover for troops. 4th platoon will set up by the treeline to the Northwest, which should give us a small window to intercept any infantry running across. One Sherman will provide extra firepower.
2nd platoon will take the remaining three Shermans and occupy the treeline to the Southwest, quickly gaining fire superiority on the entire Southern side of the road, thus securing the farm objective and severely limiting the enemy's options.
3rd platoon will advance down the road towards the bridge with the Hellcat's assistance. Terrain and trees will provide plenty of cover until they reach the bridge itself. With any luck the enemy will be well shaken before they reach the location.

Not two minutes in, Two Panzer 4s are spotted in the Southeastern treeline. Infantry is seen advancing towards the objective along the South side of the road, mostly masked by terrain I've not accounted for. A machine gun opens fire on 4th platoon as what seems to be an enemy platoon tries to move up to the trees on the Northeastern quadrant.
EaLUd.jpg
wnJxI.jpg
One of the panzers opens fire on a Sherman, knocking it out with a few well-placed shots. Nobody useful has eyes on any of the hostile tanks, including anyone with contact to the mortar teams. Another Panzer is spotted blazing Northward across the road.
QTAtD.jpg
The Hellcat gets sniped by the same Panzer while trying to get an angle on it. Troops can be seen streaming in on the Southern side of the road, but without effective means to gain fire superiority on the right flank, I've decided to pull second platoon off the right flank and direct them into the center. In the meantime, 4th platoon will recon by fire on the left, in hopes of getting a response.
0BFXM.jpg
At 1405 a tank opens up on the far left flank from an unseen location. The recon by fire starts to seem like less of a good idea now.
Meanwhile, 3rd platoon 2nd squad crawls up by the bridge, and is quickly greeted by a stick grenade. They decide that they're needed in the opposite direction, losing half of the squad during the whole encounter.
RKmoa.jpg
Tf8xP.jpg
hhnp_.jpg

Situation at 1406:
It's not looking promising. Both flanks are under pressure from tanks we can't get a good shot on, and absolutely nothing outlined in the initial plan was achieved in any meaningful capacity. We should be capable of covering the left flank without exposing ourselves if 4th platoon moves closer to the center. 2nd platoon will relocate to the middle, watching the fields to the right while I try to figure out what the hell can be done about any of this.
h2u2F.jpg
hSOsU.jpg

Army Men 1.... still is a great game! And some missions are hard as ****....

To set the mood... INVASION

Fv0e1rj.png
O03kuYC.png
e0n6HRx.png
NhQo3DE.png
GXessCQ.png
0yUrlkI.png
RyfPLpq.png

robbing the tan bank
uN3Jyfe.png

classic blue spies
wZ24m9v.png
GLvuk0P.png

chopper only took me and left my soldiers behind :sad:
YrnD6x4.png
jnmSixi.png
mWRKs04.png

Army Men is a strange bird; you're toys but you live in a to-scale fantasy world where plastic men exist entirely alone on an otherwise sterile planet and wage endless war with each other for no particular reason except that they're different colours. Green and Tan are obviously American and German analogues but all the armies are modeled on Vietnam-era figurines, and there are also Civil War-inspired Grey and Blue armies that still carry Vietnam-era equipment, but they're only directly adversarial to each other in a single level. Every single man in this world is a clone with the same lifeless face, including Sarge, but excluding General Plastro. And the big McGuffin that drives the plot of the game is an ancient portal made of TinkerToy sticks-and-wheels that transports toy soldiers to the real world, where they are shrunk down to 2 inches.

Mechanically, it's just a war game, but men throw off chunks of hard plastic instead of bleed blood, and when you burn them with flamethrowers they melt into stringy puddles. Only Army-Men 2 properly capitalizes on them being toys, with you fighting cockroaches, zombies made by fusing broken men back together, suicide bombers with firecrackers on their backs, and a terrible golf-ball atom bomb that threatens to change the balance of power forever.

I found some of these failure FMVs terrifying as a kid - the helplessness, the anonymity, the uncanny valley of it all:

Once they gave Sarge a unique face and voice, it kind of lost its charm.

Yeah even though the first army men i played was sarge's heroes on the dreamcast (and its awesome), Army men 1 and 2 are certainly the best. Army men 2 is a real and nice upgrade from the first one. Makes you think of wtf happened afterwards when it went console focused, releasing other 5 games in 1999 after army men 2, and peaking with 7 army men games being released in 2001.... 

I rented several different ones and the flamethrower really disturbed me as a kid. Something about turning animate objects into melted puddles is really ****ed up.

Army Men RTS got me thinking about the military-industrial complex at the age of 7. Here I was waging a war so total that I could reanimate the melted corpses of the dead and throw them back at the enemy. Currency and manpower were synonymous. Labour had finally been made the inferior to Capital.

Managed to get a really good battle out of the AI. They didn't just rush at me, they didn't fidget their units around, they didn't throw cavalry at me. It lasted quite a while and was a proper standoff with a couple of minor skirmishes before the main engagement (these were probably AI accidents). The battle map was really nice too, with rolling hills and a bigass town. Apart from the ugly "terracing" glitch (which didn't turn up in this map anyway), the environments in ETW are probably my favorite. They actually look like real European landscapes with subtle hills and villages dotted between farms and blocks of woodland, and not just something somebody's slapped together in World Machine on the default settings.

_bJmR.jpg
vk7HI.jpg
pzu_m.jpg
VrpI3.jpg
ViglU.jpg
zLQqE.jpg
cCjTm.jpg
29_P0.jpg
aBK0b.jpg
8Aezv.jpg

Back
Top Bottom