Scottish Independence

Users who are viewing this thread

There is truth in that, i've found that most opposition tends to just take a backseat whenever they've lost, though not always, and an exodus is always possible. I think that you're right in saying that a good chunk of the opposition comes from just doubt. Doubt whether the economy will be fine or if everything will out..And usually the only way to ever quell doubt is to disprove it really. Maybe what people need is for things to work well then they suddenly find themselves less opposed. Right now it's neck and neck, though there are still many people who are unsure and undecided. The reason? Doubt.

In this time where there is only ever an increase in the amount of nations I feel like Scotland could do well for itself. Though ultimately there will only be a unified faith in the Scottish Government when they prove that the nation can function completely independently. I wish them luck with that.

I hope they do put something Welsh in, but if they even dare put the red hand of Ulster in instead of St.Patrick's cross then I will personally secede from the UK :razz: The autonomous authority of My House. I think I might even manage to be the world's first ever completely green nation.

I hope in the event of Scotland getting independent they don't just remove the Scottish flag from the Union flag, would look awful. I am hoping for a brand new flag.

This would be my idea flag for the post Scotland UK, though I would prefer the position of the dragon and hand switched. Obviously it is not offical, I found it online http://www.creativereview.co.uk/images/uploads/2014/08/dragonhand_0.jpg

I hope they do not keep the union flag at all, like not even incorporating something to do with wales in it, May as well start a fresh.

An Irish Noob said:
but if they even dare put the red hand of Ulster in instead of St.Patrick's cross then I will personally secede from the UK :razz:

Whats wrong with the Hand of Ulster?

Most of the people of Northern Ireland don't even like the Red Hand of Ulster and it isn't recognised by the majority of people as our official flag. For all intensive purposes we have no flag which people actually like here :razz:

It is never flown anywhere, not even on government buildings, only the Union Flag is flown (alongside the Irish tricolour sometimes)

Bolts of cloth are very controversial here..Silly, I know!

What about replacing the hand with a little cross in the corner? Or maybe a shamrock!

I think legally they may have to change the flag..though that would mean all the dependencies would need to change their flag too, including Australia.

Resizing St.Patrick's cross could be a negative message too however, considering that originally the cross of Scotland and Ireland were the same size as England so as to promote unity and equality (or maybe someone just liked the symmetry..), but that proposed flag pretty much says "United Kingdom of England and the minor unimportant states"  :lol:

An Irish Noob said:
Most of the people of Northern Ireland don't even like the Red Hand of Ulster and it isn't recognised by the majority of people as our official flag. For all intensive purposes we have no flag which people actually like here :razz:

It is never flown anywhere, not even on government buildings, only the Union Flag is flown (alongside the Irish tricolour sometimes)

Bolts of cloth are very controversial here..Silly, I know!

What about replacing the hand with a little cross in the corner? Or maybe a shamrock!

I think legally they may have to change the flag..though that would mean all the dependencies would need to change their flag too, including Australia.

Resizing St.Patrick's cross could be a negative message too however, considering that originally the cross of Scotland and Ireland were the same size as England so as to promote unity and equality (or maybe someone just liked the symmetry..), but that proposed flag pretty much says "United Kingdom of England and the minor unimportant states"  :lol:

Well the government of Northern Ireland used to use the Red Hand of Ulster until 72, although there was obviously a reason they stopped using it. The dependencies and former colonial nations are going to have to change their flags anyways, the flag will likely change if Scotland leaves so they will be changing regardless.

Well that is true, it does ram England in your face but at least it gives Wales some representation. I did see another proposal that was like Blue, White and Blue horizontal lines as a transformation of the white cliffs of Dover into a flag, but I imagine people outside of England wouldn't like that either...

A flag with a crown on it and we can get back to being a true Kingdom, why don't we do that? :razz:

I've seen some interesting ideas...Let me show you.

_71534765_350655.jpg

_71534769_350618.png

_71534906_350727.jpg

_71567155_726a3eda-f175-49a3-ba02-e4db0d736859.jpg

_71557957_350551.jpg

_71534675_350611.png

_71534910_350671.png

What do you think? Some look pretty epic! Especially that last one :razz:

It seems the lib dems are scraping the bottom of the barrel for votes, Nick Clegg is now supporting English devolution regardless of the outcome of Scotland's referendum although, you know, in a completely unorganised and varying manner, what a fool he really is. Apparently he also supports a federalised UK, that is practically the only sensible thing I have ever heard coming out of his mouth.

Unfortunately though its all likely bs, gotta get the electorate happy again, somehow, especially after how much they ****ed up last election with the blatant lies...

Madhal said:
if Scotland become independent will it have any effect on Doctor Who Show :smile:  Both Steven Moffat and Peter Capaldi are Scottish.

Perhaps unwisely, Alex Salmond (First Minister of Scotland) chose to answer this question during a Q+A session with members of the Scottish public on Facebook.

S6Lftkr.jpg

Madhal said:
On serious note if polls are this close on voting day i predict some votes will change to No.  its hard to choose a unknown economic future.

A lot of people will waver, for sure.  But then again, the economic future as part of the Uk is known - more austerity, more job losses, more "managed decline."  That makes the choice a bit easier.

Daniel. said:
Well some things are near enough certain, such as the death of Scottish shipbuilding which is pretty important for the local economy around the Glasgow area, The worst city in the UK by measure of crime would likely get a severe boost in criminal activities if unemployment rises as a result of the shipbuilding industry disappearing.

There were 30,000 men employed in the Glasgow shipyards back in 1980.  Today there are less than 6,000.  This chronic decline in the city's premier industry happened under the Union, on Westminster's watch, and probably did contribute to the high crime figures we see today.

Luckily, Ferguson's shipyard, which was shutting down, has now been bought up by an independence-supporting businessman (Jim McColl) and will continue to work as a commercial yard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-29150147

It's a shame that the UK is unable to sustain it's shipbuilding sector like Denmark, Norway, Poland, etc. have, but Scotland may yet be able to salvage what remains.

Thought this was funny.  After the poll showing 51% support for independence, the Labour Party sent 100 of it's MPs north to remind us that we are Better Together.  An appropriate welcoming ceremony was arranged:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bGuCGdLxW0

Back
Top Bottom