Scimitar is original of Vaergis or Sarranid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Beolion

Recruit
I play with Sarranid Sultanate faction and i like to play with the equipments of the respective factions (armors, weapons, troops, flags...). I googled and came to the conclusion that the scimitar is an Arab weapon. But when I went to play online, the Scimitar was only enabled for Vaergis and not for Sarranid. So if I play as Sarranid with a scimitar, I agree with the characteristics of their faction?

P.S: Sorry any error of vocabulary, i'm brazilian and i not speaking english fluently, i hope you all understand something.  :sad:

In SP, Sarranid Guards and Mamlukes can spawn with elite scimitars.  Lower level troops use scimitars or Sarranid swords which are straight.  Vaegir troops get nordic swords or sabres. 

The Rus principalities always used a variety of swords, from sabres(even scimitars) to straight swords, depending on era and location.
As for the in-game units, the scimitar is a primarily Vaegir weapon, the devs failing to give the Sarranids their own swords properly. Even the Sarranid Guard doesn't have the Guard Sword.

Vaegirs don't have their own sword per ce. They use the Nordic straight swords or the Khergit sabres. Which is appropriate, seeing as they almost seem to be a hybrid of those two factions (at least they did in 1.011).

Sarranids have their sarranid guard/cavalry swords which are appropriate.

Oh yeah, as for the question. I think it'd be ok for both factions to use the scimitar, though I do think it looks better on the Sarranids.

Scimitars are an Arabic weapon. An interesting note in the original game is that Rolf, who's apparently a Sarranid, starts with a plain old Sword. On the other hand, I think Nizar begins with a Nomad Sabre. He recruits Sarranids if he becomes a lord. Long and short of it, while I haven't played Warband, what I've gleaned of them indicates that the Scimitar would indeed be their cultural sword, much as the Arming Sword is the knightly weapon of the Swadians or the Nordic Sword is (obviously) the Nord's blade of choice. Khergits seem to use sabres and Vaegirs, a mix of the latter two, as others have said.

Scimitars are an Arabic weapon.

Historically, this is not actually the case. Arabic swords were traditionally straight. They started to be used in the Muslim world during the 13th century, when the warrior class was largely non-Arabic - Turkish, Kurdish, Kipchak, etc.

They were however commonly used by the Byzantines since the early Middle Ages as well as by the Rus principalities and its steppe neighbors.

Historically, Elite Scimitars were properly known as power blades. Those who wielded them were known as men of powerful strikes and struck powerfully.

[M] said:
Historically, Elite Scimitars were properly known as power blades. Those who wielded them were known as men of powerful strikes and struck powerfully.

I demand citing

Curve blades entered Europe view the Steppe of Central asia, but transmitted and used by Near East armies. Europeans had little contact with say present day Iran, but plenty of contact with Syria and so on. Given that The Rus (Vaegirs, Muscovy, so on) used mercenaries and was a ever expanding empire, curve blades certainly entered their arsenal of weapons. Going further the famous Cossacks were known for their curved sabres.

So to be fair, neither Arabs nor Russians (Vaegirs) had a scimitar for any more of a time period then one another.

Also Sarranid is by far the most widespread faction, because they are clearly not influenced by just Arabs, actually if it wasn't for the mamemluk, I would put Sarranid as an almost purely Persian army. The name Sarranid is likely from the Sassanids (modern day Iran), a Persian group (successor to the Parthians). All of the weapons found in the Sassanid empire can be found in the Sarranids, in particular the type of axes and blunt weapons used. Most telling is the armor especially of  heavily armored horse and cav rider, which is the Sassanid's most powerful weapon. They were the most heavily armored warriors at the time anywhere in the world, head to toe armor that covered both horse and rider ( The max armor for Sarranid Cav in Warband is exactly what a Sassanid Cataphract would like like)

The word scimitar is the English form of the Italian word Scimitarra. It is almost certainly the Italian version of the Persian word Shamshir or Shimshar, according to who is transcribing.  The sword, itself is a development of curved North African swords that are thought to be of Egyptian origin.  So in answer to the O.P.'s question, Sarranid.

[M] said:

I can't believe I didn't ever learn about this.

A scimitar (/ˈsɪmɨtər/ or /ˈsɪmɨtɑr/)[1] is a backsword or sabre with a curved blade, originating in Southwest Asia (Middle East).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scimitar

You're welcome :smile:

Manley Steele said:
It is almost certainly the Italian version of the Persian word Shamshir or Shimshar, according to who is transcribing.

yes, it's a persian weapon inspired by greeks's swords named Kopis If I'm not wrong

Back
Top Bottom