Users who are viewing this thread

BetaKnight said:
True dat^

And mounting the cannons:
50 ppl come in with the boats that have 7 canons on each side
what do you think shall happen :grin:
One way to find out.
Fun shall happen :grin:

BTW: I think that these ships would be better suited for "naval sieges" or something in that category.

The_Grim_Reaper said:
I asked if it would be possible to add sailing ships  in NW which can move like in the pw mod.
I think this would be a great new feature and would give a complete new world of interesting battles.
If somebody read this and can put into practice i believe many people will like NW much more.
chill out.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/09/parley-of-the-land-caribbean-interview/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29
taleworlds got this

I am wondering though if we can't do the same thing we did with the small boats and just increase the size to a scooner/sloop or so.

That way you can have small naval battles without the cannons.  On the other hand a Brig or a sloop had up to 10 or 20 guns so you could probably put 2-5 cannons on either side but this may be a headache either way. (Source: http://www.eighteentwelve.ca/?q=eng/Topic/27)

A 10 gun british brig (5 cannons either side):
http://www.laserdreamworks.com/British_Brig.html

But yeah I'd take a small unarmed vessel, it would be cool if it could have a lower compartment with a portable spawn point lol.

As for M&B:Carribean I suspect they probably made ships controllable by one player (If they even have MP naval battles).

The game engine can only handle 10 cannons or so, with ships and stuff, the server is bound to crash with about 40+ players (Coming from Vince). I think it is a great idea, and I have seen the codes, and also had a long talk with Vince. It really is not possible, but I do wonder if the NW team can make a sloop, and try and do it like the boat.. If not, I will probably try.

One thing to consider is making cannons set pieces, possibly even a fixed part of the ship model and just forgo (leave out) animations. I don't know if its possible to just triggers that can be fired on each cannon after X amount of seconds. Cannon can't be aimed making ship steering more important. Again not sure if possible.

I've been planning on doing something similar to what rejenorst said when the MS is released. In the mod i've been planning, it's in a fictional setting in which a region is just being introduced to gunpowder and the sorts. This will ease my process of making Naval Battle a reality, because due to gunpowder just being introduced, it can mostly be a few large ships (Scaled Up boats, essentially) with perhaps 1 or 2 of the small "hand cannons" for the "Capital" ships, leaving most of the fight to be small arms fire and boarding. Shogun 2 style, I reckon.

This is actually a REALLY great thing to discuss before the release of With Fire and Sword 2. Surely that, when it comes to naval battles, Taleworlds has SOMETHING made at this time, whether or not it be fun to play, or playable at all. Hopefully they take into consideration some of the things mentioned here.
We all know that the Mount & Blade series isn't known for it's attention to every itty bitty detail, so I wouldn't be surprised if they sacrifice something like sails going up/down, or even rudders turning, and to be quite frank, I wouldn't have a problem with it. However, we do know that Taleworlds would be most likely upgrading their engine for WFaS2, but I'm not going to expect a sudden 100% flawless naval battle system to come with it.
As for mods, it would be quite difficult to have naval battles with the current engine, unless they make it quite simple, like having multiple modes of combat. By this, I mean having one combat mode where two or more ships are set up to fire cannons, and in another combat mode, they would board. Casualties would transfer over to the next fight just like they do already.
However, seeing this happen in multiplayer is just unreasonable and unrealistic. A real naval battle in multiplayer with cannons seems impossible at the moment, so it seems we'll just have to wait. I just REALLY hope that Taleworlds can pull off a successful multiplayer mode for WFaS2 so that ships could fight PvP style, and I even more so would like for it to be successful (if Taleworlds can make that work, it surely will be successful). I just hope that soon I will have my own ship and crew, which would be quite fun.

Bravo2255 said:
and I have seen the codes
LIES

rejenorst said:
One thing to consider is making cannons set pieces, possibly even a fixed part of the ship model and just forgo (leave out) animations. I don't know if its possible to just triggers that can be fired on each cannon after X amount of seconds. Cannon can't be aimed making ship steering more important. Again not sure if possible.
What I keep thinking is if you cant code the cannons that are modelled to the boat
So: Boat is modeled with canons cant there be a way to code them? thus the boat and the cannons at the same time so that they dont slide?

If you sacrifice destruction you are able to do it nicely, but it still a pain in the ass with large number of players.

It could be possible in 64-man battles. 32 per team is a decent number. Then put two small vessels with some cannons (3 max per boat). Those should only have two collisions, one for each side. It isnt much more than the boats now, and having a max of 64 players should keep things down.

Then again, it will be a bit clunky. And quite a pain to code.

Also, as for the comment of CryEngine, I would have a lot of doubts. Not saying that their netcode is bad, but 200 players is in a totally different scale of what it is used for. You arent going to sync up pretty physics there. Planetside 2 engine would probably the best for this kind of things, but its proprietary AFAIK.

What about only coding the sides? like the walls they crumble the walls but instead the boats sides just get holes?

if you want ships with cannons then wait for Mount&Blade:Carribean! (coming this month)

I dont like just clicking on the ship and move it around with clicks.
I prefer controlling the men thus being the captain fp and control my men (reg) and telll them when to shoot

BetaKnight said:
I dont like just clicking on the ship and move it around with clicks.
I prefer controlling the men thus being the captain fp and control my men (reg) and telll them when to shoot

+1, and probalry all the others which are dreaming about this.

But I dont thinkt he ships have to be HUGE, I think I little ship with the cannons on its deck and just 4-5 cannons on each side is a great start. Like I said, people can also shoot & board the enemy. Plenty to do in my opinion. Just make stuff like; that you can climb up in the tower and stuff so they can spot for the captain. Then I think a small ship should already do.

All what you are talking about is possible. You may missed some mods...

old MP-Mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASmz0Je2bM

Brytwalda SP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXf83Euspmk&list=LLgNKnVszFxaR1AITTxna9Yg&feature=mh_lolz

Empires of Faith MP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay77xau2Jf8
notice the amount of moving oars...

Well the ones that are currently ingame are problematic as each cannon has a trigger I presume and each cannon is made up of individual parts I think (not 100% sure). Thus moving them around causes a lot of traffic over the network.

Fixed cannons would be acceptable in my view but I think Vince mentioned that if they couldn't do them the way they are in game currently on a ship that's moving around; He wouldn't feel that their inclusion would be extremely enticing.

Guess we will see but I doubt he will code in any ships with cannons.

Back
Top Bottom