B Native Realism Mod. Bringing reality to Warband.

Whats your favourite medieval weapon in RL out of this list?

• Saber

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • medieval sword (european)

Votes: 61 16.9%
  • poleaxe

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • long bow

Votes: 34 9.4%
  • short bow

• yumi

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • crossbow

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • katana

Votes: 29 8.1%
  • no dachi

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Yari

• pike

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • lance

• bastard sword

Votes: 43 11.9%
  • spiked mace

• military hammer

• pick

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • knife

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • stiletto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • war spike

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • spiked gauntlet

• javelin

• axe

Votes: 19 5.3%
  • claymore

Votes: 21 5.8%
  • sword of war (two handed sword)

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • wooden stick

Votes: 25 6.9%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bite Me said:
Yes, but we arent going to break the mod by making archers incredibly powerful, I think we will take away all good armour from archers, and give them worse weapons (not knives, swords, but not the best) xbows and archers will not have shields (well, probably need to talk about that) lowering the ammo count and changing the damage they do against certain armours should fix it.
We could give archers and crossbowmen falchions and daggers. That would be pretty realistic.

Also, I think crossbowmen should still get shields (or at least there should be some kind of shield option for them)

We'll just have to experiment with different ammo counts. We could try 25 at first maybe and just see how it plays out.

And there's also the possibility of lowering archer/crossbowman proficiencies. The problem with that of course is that it would introduce more of a chance element in playing a ranged class which we may not want.

Psiphoon said:
Devil_Inside said:
I believe even the plate armor should be penetrated at short distances, and, with the ammo count, reduce it to what? 15 arrows per quiver? That's kind of.. not realistic?

An arrow is a carefully crafted and expensive missile...

If we're going for realism, I think English longbowmen were usually equipped with 20-40 arrows for a battle. I've got a book I can trawl through for a source, if it's needed.

Larken said:
Psiphoon said:
Devil_Inside said:
I believe even the plate armor should be penetrated at short distances, and, with the ammo count, reduce it to what? 15 arrows per quiver? That's kind of.. not realistic?

An arrow is a carefully crafted and expensive missile...

If we're going for realism, I think English longbowmen were usually equipped with 20-40 arrows for a battle. I've got a book I can trawl through for a source, if it's needed.
I've read and heard they carried around 70, which allowed for around 6 minutes of constant shooting.

Bite Me said:
I didnt ever play that mod, but Ill have a look and see what his combat revamp does, we have a load of stuff for the next version, even more (and easier to do) coming later.

New sounds, more items, sweet spots and weapon switch times are all planned for the near future.
He mostly just changes the statistics of weapons. His knowledge and experience with actual medieval weapons (and actual fights he has gotten into, with knives) does make it highly impressive though.
--
Still, there are problems he couldn't get around, such as knockback being on 0, to make armoured knights flinch when they're hit full-force for 0 damage. Looking at your stuff, I think you lot could go beyond that, and get something more randomized, and based off things like this sweet-spot system.
--
Besides Ron's advice and help with statistics being very useful, he also created a Bleeding script, which is cool to have.

Nice! I really look forward to seeing this mod finish :grin:. I also would like it if we could combine a lot of mods, as you are already doing with Ares,to make the Perfect Realism Compilation.

Servitor said:
What combat formula? :>

And about the poll, I voted No, because my computer and/or internet would probably get fried by that many. If lag didn't exist, then of course I would.
The physics formula, I mean. Plus any extra stuff for how armour or whichever works.

As for the server, there would likely be times with less players on, I imagine.

Bite Me said:
a test version will be ready in a couple of days, which means hopefully a lot of features mentioned will definitely work, and will be implemented, remember, this is a complete realism mod, so stats, money, equipment, attack, move, switch weapons, speeds will all be tweaked,

health probably lowered all round (In reality an arrow to the chest in cloth armour would kill you, whereas a weak bow firing crappy arrows at plate mail would do next to nothing).  Where your weapons swings, you get damage, where your shield covers, you block. This mod is for intense real fights, where any blow could potentially kill you,

the sound and feel of it will get you addicted, believe me its fun :smile:.
Yay! Excited :grin:!

With the arrow, though, it wouldn't always be insta-incapacitation. People can sometimes take a few arrows, and the padded cloth would help to slow it down a bit (words of wisdom from my father: "If it slows [the projectiles] down, it's better for you"). Not trying to argue here, you were likely exaggerating a bit to get the point across (which is often needed), and you are right that arrows can incapacitate you pretty quick.

I believe you.

---

As for this conversation about archers being over powered... Firstly, they were somewhat in reality. Mostly, though, this was due to the fact an archer could live to a good old age in the military - as opposed to the dying infantry - and the levels of skill they could get to was just plain scary (hitting someone in the left eye at 200 yards). Most players aren't quite that skilled, they haven't played it for years, so there isn't too much need to worry on that point.

Archers are very useful, but they're not almighty. You probably could penetrate plate armour with a strong bow and good arrows... but the chances of that are very, very slim, with a good suit of plate. I asked about a Japanese bow, which only 6 people in the whole of Japan could use, and it seemed questionable whether even that monster could do it (I can ask for more info as to that, if you want). So, like in rock, paper, scissors, armoured knights beat archers (mounted knights can have their horses shot, of course).

The armour they had as well as the melee weapons, of course, wasn't so good. You didn't put your archers into dangerous situations in the first place if you didn't have to, they were too valuable. I don't see an archer ever carrying a shield, really (that with their arrows, bow, backup melee weapon, armour, water bottle, whatever else they're carrying... too much weight), though they would use pavise if available.

With the arrow being an expensive and carefully crafted thing... depends who we're talking about here. Europe tended to go with cheaper cast-iron. The Japanese meanwhile, tend to give them the same level of attention as their sword blades. Arrowheads were very valuable to the latter, the sort of thing you pass down to your kids.

Not sure how many arrows the longbowmen carried. Part of it, I do wonder, might be an extra quiver they bring and place on the ground, scooping that up when the first is spent. I have no idea if that's true, it just seems like something logical enough, for how you can carry a lot of arrows without being weighed down as you're firing.

That is the information I've learnt over a long period of studying it up for book writing. I could've gotten some of that wrong, or even a lot of it wrong--or very wrong. My apologies if I overstepped bounds during that, or placed false information forward... and I'll re-inquire as to details should it be deemed necessary.

---------------

Would like to point out a mod, as it would be an amazing section of a Realism Compilation should that seem a worthy goal. Isn't so important for the Multi-player facet, I'd guess, but still great for the single player: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,107450.0.html

Good luck guys!

Arrowheads in Europe were usually forged, not cast. Cast iron is terrible for weapons simply because it's so brittle. You don't want your arrowheads to shatter when they hit any resisting object of reasonable hardness.

Arrows are also pretty much incapable of penetrating any decent plate under normal circumstances and will only breach mail at very close range. If the man-at-arms is also wearing a cloth jack over his mail, the archer can forget about wounding him.

Fabric armour is also ridiculously effective against arrows. Having to bull their way through several layers of dense linen tends to rob most projectiles of their energy. There's a demonstration here: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131
This is one area where M&B's armour point system fails, because different types of armour have very different characteristics.

Additionally, it doesn't really matter what the amount of arrows bowman carries. In battle, they'd have access to the entire bloody reserve stocks of the army, which would be distributed to the main lines via couriers.

Ruthven said:
If you want a good one, but not if you're some sod in a big army.

No, really, improperly made arrows won't fly properly. It's a lot harder to make arrows with the tools of the period. No fancy schmancy carbon fibre or aluminum shafts for you. :razz:

Oops, seems I got the words mixed up, sorry.

Well, apparently they had a 50/50 chance with chain in the crusades. This might've been for just the Sarciens firing on crusaders, though, and they may've had better bows and arrows than Europe.

Mass does effect projectiles surprisingly much, but I wasn't sure how much the effect really was. If it's impressive enough, maybe something could be arranged via code...? I'm uncertain.

Gah, you beat me to that point. I missed my chance xD!

Was just thinking that Ares XD

Can I pull you lovely peoples attention to the battle of Agincourt. It is well known that the French knights and armoured men at arms were beaten and killed by the English longbow men, in their thousands. Actually, many modern historians do not believe that this is true, rather, the battlefield is situated between two wooded hills, the English at one end of the valley, the French on the other, the English deployed their infantry across the mouth of the valley, with longbow men on either flank in the woods, and behind their infantry. The French who stupidly outnumbered the British both in archers and crossbowmen, to infantry and cavalry, charged their heaviest elite troops (the knights and men at arms) down the centre. Because of the horrible wet muddy valley floor, they soon got bogged down, making progress very slow and incredibly tiring in their suits of armour, all the while getting battered by incoming arrows. Not many fell to the arrows though.
The slaughter began when they reached the English army, which then had an incredibly easy job of destroying the heavily armoured, slower and exhausted French knights. Even more so when the lightly armoured and armed English longbow men ran out of arrows and charged into the flanks.

Personally, I think we should increase the armour values all round, and maybe tweak some code, to balance and make the ranged weapons more realistic.

Also some more good news, the next build of the mod will also include a simple but very effective change: We have replaced the horrible blurred brown smudge that arrows and bolts get when they are fired, with the actual bolt/arrow model, and believe me, it makes it a whole lot more realistic! I play my native with it, and it adds so much depth!

EDIT: a bleeding code? gimme!

Night Ninja said:
Arrows are also pretty much incapable of penetrating any decent plate under normal circumstances and will only breach mail at very close range. If the man-at-arms is also wearing a cloth jack over his mail, the archer can forget about wounding him.

Fabric armour is also ridiculously effective against arrows. Having to bull their way through several layers of dense linen tends to rob most projectiles of their energy. There's a demonstration here: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=11131
This is one area where M&B's armour point system fails, because different types of armour have very different characteristics.
No offence, but this link proof nothing about archery - difference between modern field points and any forged arrowhead is huge - it's like comparing piercing ability of knife and spoon...
here's much better test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_h4cF8iTE&feature=related
It confirm great effectiveness of plate, but mail fail miserably... And it still pierce plate more than halfsword thrust (can't find that video now :/). So without implementing some weakspot and grappling system, you should forget about making plate armour realistically owerpowered...

Plate armour will be incredibly expensive, and maybe only the top 1 or two people in your team in battle would ever afford to get it, maybe in the third round.
We are not sure how to do "weakspots" probably coded and flagged.. but this could prove very difficult to do.

CalenLoki said:
No offence, but this link proof nothing about archery - difference between modern field points and any forged arrowhead is huge - it's like comparing piercing ability of knife and spoon...
here's much better test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_h4cF8iTE&feature=related
It confirm great effectiveness of plate, but mail fail miserably... And it still pierce plate more than halfsword thrust (can't find that video now :/). So without implementing some weakspot and grappling system, you should forget about making plate armour realistically owerpowered...

Of course it failed miserably, it was butted mail and some peculiar design (looks to be of ahistorical make). As you saw in the test I linked, the difference between good quality mail and a comparatively poorer one is quite pronounced. :smile: We don't have any information on the arrowheads and the mail in the test that you linked either, which means that both tests are strictly in the realm of the 'backyard test'.

Some of the comments in that link are pretty amusing too. I see at least one fellow has brought up the old 'blunt trauma' argument (against plate, not mail), which is patent nonsense. They really should use a modern test for assessing blunt trauma to debunk these claims, but we'll have to keep hoping since none of the scientific tests conducted so far have been very conclusive, comprehensive or accurate. They're usually heavily biased against the armour.

BiteMe, tailored suits should indeed be extremely expensive, but mass produced munitions plate (depending on the time period) would be well within the reach of the average player. Mail got to be more expensive after the plague since it required much more time and labour to make than plate, and the latter (especially) was in extremely short supply.

Ye sure would be great :smile:

The native stuff might need fiddling about a bit, but we are always happy to accept some more plate/chainmail armours that fir with each other, anyone know where we can get our hands on some? (or a poor defenceless moddeler and texturer)

I also think that a lot of Ron's changes would benefit the "realism" goals of this mod. One such change he made that I like a lot is to the shields. Basically, he significantly reduced the hit points, but also significantly increased the resistance. That way, puny little slaps from a dagger aren't going to even have a possibility to break a shield, but one good hard strike from a powerful axe could do it.

dagorkan said:
So, um what's supposed to be realistic about this?

You have to be joking right?

Realism:
No "chance" involved, where you aim you hit, where you block you block, the damage depends on momentum alone (speed and mass).
More realistic "feel" to the game, visual as well as gameplay and realistic sounds. (the arrows are actually arrows flying through the air instead of blurred stripes).
Armours and weapons balanced so they do the damage and protection the materials they are made of would actually offer.
Prices will be changed (horses will be as expensive as they were).
No forcefields around shields
"sweet spots" on weapons (a pike will only do damage if the enemy is actually stabbed with the metal spike, if they are in hugging distance you only push yourself back)

Those are whats added (and a bit more has been added but CBA listing it all)
what we hope for the future if its possible:

Bleeding script and wound system. (Huge code network, if you get hit in the arm, your arm becomes wounded and bleeds out, while also becoming useless, same with the other limbs and parts of your body).

More items from native.

"weak" spots on armour (visors, exposed armpits, groin areas, inside thighs)

Force NO targeting reticule and manual block server side so ALL players have to use it. NO helpful GUI or HUD.

Dying is easier, surviving is harder (makes for real heart throbbing battles)

Animation tweaks

Weapon switching takes a realistic amount of time, though drawing your weapon will be fast, like it is in RL.

Movement speed and attack speed with change with gear more.

"realism" maps created by the 22nd (probably, not definitely)

and much more when we think of it :smile:

any suggestions to make the mod better and more realistic please tell us.

Well, horse speeds should be fixed, as one suggestion. Might want to look at the effects of hills on speed, since I think it's over-severe.

Not sure if you've done stuff like re-doing the Couched lance damage, Ron can tell you more about that.

Ooh, one I always wanted. If it were somehow possible, it'd be neat to allow players to Rout, retreat, run-away, in the online battles.
So, you're the only guy left alive on your team, the other team's 20 cavalry are hunting you down? Cut your losses, escape the battle-field, you'll come into the next round with your armour and weapons for free (trading them for upgrades as per usual). This adds in morale effects, where players can get scared and try to cut their losses.

Also be good if somehow... somehow, a chain of command could be put into the game, like in M.A.G.. I doubt it'd be anything as fancy, if you managed it. Having it that you can pick the "General" troop type, renown you get official command over the other players on the team, a vote option to pick who the general is.
-- That's all very finicky maybe stuff here, but ponderable.

OH!! Have helmets block arrows. I'm not sure if this is a gameplay flaw, or just statistics, but I recall taking arrows to the head, and my helmet apparently making NO difference. It seems to work fine in Single Player, though....

Looking at horses a lot in general might be necessary. They added in a bunch of stuff for them, and I don't know how accurate it is. I guess it's impossible to have stuff like horses tripping over, or crashing into the side of another horse knocked that horse over, etc. (these are ideas from the horse suggestion thread)?

There's some rambling for you to work with.

EDIT: Question: Shall we hunt up mods that add to the quality/realism and post the links for you, so you can speak with the modders and see about adding their portion into the bringing realism to warband mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom