Random kingdom war declaration(s) by my own kingdom

Users who are viewing this thread

Wasn't sure if this is the right place to post it but it was the most fitting place for this issue. I'm also not sure if it's intended or bugged but it seems very weird.

After creating your own kingdom you will almost constantly be in war. Even nations on the other side of the world, who logically would have zero reason to attack you, will declare war on you. Now I can sort of buy this because they don't like you or wont approve a non-noble owning cities etc.

The thing is this: Half of the wars declared will be made by your kingdom. I can be out minding my own business trading and suddenly my kingdom will declare war on someone. Even if our relations are great. I've done absolutely nothing, no attacks on any caravans, no attacks or insults on lords, nothing. It just randomly declares war. You can pretty much instantly buy yourself out from said war but it's pretty much making the game unplayable unless you stick around your settlements to not lose them to a war declaration you had nothing to do with.

The only reason I can think of is that my own caravans or follower parties attacks the other kingdom. But why in whatever deity you believe in would they do that unless I tell them to?

Anyways, it makes the game completely unplayable if you don't want to be at constant war. It's insanely annoying and I can't think of any reason it's working as intended.

Test A1: I will reload and remove all my other parties and caravans and see if I'll still declare random wars.
Test A2: My kingdom just declared war on another one, on the other side of the world. I don't have any caravans or groups except my own. That doesn't seem to be the issue.
Test A3: After the war was declared I got around 30 troops added to my party that I did not recruit. Did a caravan still move around even though it was canceled?

Test B1: I'll check if it has anything to do with the conspiracy quest and if it updates after I make peace in this war.
Test B2: Conspiracy quest updated, still haven't done any peace deal.
Test B3: Yeah conspiracy just keeps updating, shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Test C1: I had workshops in their kingdom, and have had it in others I "declared" on, can that have something to do with it?
Test C2: Nope, I (game) just declared war on my neighbors (I'm married to the Sultans daughter and have positive reputation with literally all of them).

Fix (Sort of): Reloading the game stopped me (the game) from declaring war on them.

So whatever I do it seems like I can't stop it from happening. I tried it with no vassals, no parties, no caravans and no workshops and my kingdom would still declare war on random kingdoms. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm at good relations with them or not. Regardless this makes it impossible to play as your own kingdom unless you enjoy constant war, which I personally don't. I'll check back after a week or two because as of now the game is too riddled with problems.

Last edited:
I confirm that.

v: 1.0.7

In two different savegames I am unable to declare war or peace through the kingdom panel. At the same time war and peace are declared automatically by the AI while not letting the player control this mechanic.

Sadly I believe it's intended due to diplomacy not being developed yet.

Diplomacy is too random in Bannerlord right now. But not being able to control your own Kingdom is too much.
Hope it will be fixed as soon as possible, it's one of the biggest parts of gameplay.

Because your Clan and your Kingdom need to be felt like it's yours. You rule it, not a random machine.

Last edited:
But not being able to control your own Kingdom is too much.
Hope it will be fixed as soon as possible, it's one of the biggest parts of gameplay.

Word. It's too much of an important mechanic to just be left alone. I like the game but please fix this as soon as you can.

This is ridiculous and I may not be playing much longer. I'm traveling back to my castle when I get the message that my empire declared war on another. My empire consists of 1 castle. I'll admit I have a companion governor there, but besides that, everyone else is in my party. I have no caravans. My wife is in my party & is a relative to the empire I (?) supposedly declared war against. The leader of that empire is the NPC that I have the highest relationship with. They are probably the biggest empire at the present time. It makes no sense, especially since I supposedly declared on them, they did not declare on me. Nothing I can find in the game says who specifically declared or why. Note that I have 2838 hours played on Steam on Warband, but I won't be playing this version of the game much longer. Some of the other bugs and crashes I've encountered I can live with, but the 1-day truces and ME declaring war on my best friend in the game put me at about 95% fed up with this game. 1 more game-breaker any time soon and I'm probably done with this for at least a year or two. Expect scathing reviews on Steam if that happens.

I suspect all war declarations are random events currently and they aren't turned off for player kingdoms. NPC kingdoms also start wars that make no sense.
Also, player kingdom can randomly make peace without the player doing anything.

I suspect all war declarations are random events currently and they aren't turned off for player kingdoms. NPC kingdoms also start wars that make no sense.
Also, player kingdom can randomly make peace without the player doing anything.

"You" will also randomly make peace? This is just... bad.

I'm trying to enjoy the game but the fact that it's missing very, very, VERY simple CORE features like this really makes me wonder if the game will actually be fixed. It currently feels like it's going to take a year just to get the game to warband standards. Forget about any new features at all for the next months, at least.

I hope I'm wrong but damn the game is such a mess right now.

I confirm all what you say here, I've been playing for about 10 in game years with my own kingdom and always the same, random war and random peace declarations. You can't use the diplomacy screen for make war or peace, so if you are fighting against vlandians and your kingdom declare war on khuzaits you have to disband your army or whatever and travel to the first khuzait lord you find to make peace if you don't want to fight, and sometimes when you make peace it takes five minutes to declare war again on the same kingdom. I've observed that if you are in war with two kingdoms, your kingdom doesn't declare more wars, or it is difficult at least, also, I was about an entire evening just doing smithing **** and in war with just one kingdom far from the mine, and no new wars were declared on this time, so it's totally random as far as I know. If you observe the "Developer Console" codes you will see that there is one that say something like "start_war_declaration_vote", so I suppose that this is not the way it is supposed to work and they will fix it asap...

Decided to try a game on easiest status. Previously found Easy level was too hard with all the random war declarations, even by me, and the 1-day truces. Easiest is easier because the opponent can have overwhelming force and it still ends up being an even battle. Not the way I like to play, but only way to have a chance. In any case, I thought I'd post again. Once again my kingdom declared war on another that I had no issues with. This time, no governors or other parties although I do have a caravan out. Everyone else is in my party. Truces seem to be working OK atm.I noticed that if you make peace when first starting a kingdom (before officially being a kingdom) there are glitches where in some respects you are still considered at war. I also noticed if you complete the 'start a kingdom' quest with a companion out on another quest it puts them in an unreachable limbo. You have to remove them from your party then they show up in the closest town and you can re-add them to your party.

It is very annoying and I agree that it is one feature among many that need attention. I have found that by scum saving if you go back the war will not be declared as it is a RGA. I only go back if it is me that declared. It sucks to have to do this but it works.

Having played more, ALL wars say they were declared by me. Apparently this is simply incorrect reporting. If I actually want to war someone, I can't declare war through the diplomacy screen. I have to raid a village or something, which is not something I enjoy doing (I play as a 'good guy' trying to unite the world and this goes against it). I've also found that when you raid a village prior to establishing your own kingdom it will always show you as 'at war' with that empire on their encyclopedia page, even after you have made peace.

The game has many issues and it will be sometime before we see a polished version. That being said I am still having a good time with it. I guess I may be a M&B geek cause I'm just excited that the game is here. Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom