Raganvand's Diplomacy Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Senorris

Recruit
Hey everybody.

So, before I go off on a rant, I want to express how much I love and appreciate all the effort that's been put into this game. The early game is fantastic, the quality of life is quite high, everything is easily accessible, understandable, and the game holds you by the hand just enough for you to start off pretty nicely (compared to Warband that is).
The battles are amazing, I absolutely love it, I would love it even more if I had a high end rig I'm guessing, since battle limit really brings those casualities up high sometimes.

Now I have played every faction, except the Khuzait and Vlandians, because they have the most overpowered units and I don't think the game would be too much of a "challenge".
My empire playthrough has been quite successful, the only real problem I've had were the Khuzait horse archers, but the fact that more than 3/4 of the map is actually occupied by Imperial settlements, it makes recruitment very, very easy and accessible, even with a large ammount of vassals.
The battania playthrough is surprisingly easy, acess to Battanian Highborns is very high, should be nerfed a bit maybe? But their cavalry is quite limited, so I'm not really sure.
The aserai playthrough was so far the most challenging, simply because the only access to the "outside world" is limited by 2 small chokepoints and it makes expanding slightly more difficult to deal with. Everytime I'd go back to the homeland to recruit, the settlements would immediately get besieged & taken. Because the vassals are quite weak, they can't really hold them off on their own.

But by far, the most difficult playthrough I've experienced is my current one, the Sturgia playthrough:

Now before I continue, I wish to add that through out all these playthroughs, I've been using the balanced units mod, which "fixes" some of the "lame" units like the Sturgian & Aserai infantry, the Imperial Crossbowmen, etc. But the problem that I can't fix seems to originate from Raganvad's AI, more specifically regarding the diplomatic side of it.
Raganvad only declares war. He never declares peace. More specifically, everytime a faction declares peace, he immediately declares war right back. I do not seem to understand why he is doing this but it is making things quite unbearable.
I've been managing to hold on to our land for now, but the tides are turning because even though we have a lot of merc companies on our side, it's still barely not enough to contain the Khuzait, the Vlandians, the Battanians, the Western & the Southern Empire at bay. The only faction we're not at war with is the Northern Empire, which I "eliminated".

I did manage to grab Baltalkland (or however it's spelled) from the Khuzait early on, along with 2 castles, but then the war frenzy started and I've been jogging at the same rythm ever since. Defend a city, retake a castle, defend a city, retake a castle, etc.

Is there any mod or fix in sight for Raganvad's seemingly agressive behavior? Because I'm honestly starting to miss the feast spam from King Harlhaus, at least we weren't losing all our land back then, lol.

Anyways, thanks for hearing me out and keep on being awesome, much love to the dev team.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that I have death enabled in the playthrough, so maybe when he dies the issue will be fixed? It'll be in a long time though. Also, I did not give him the dragon banner, no.

Last edited:
He has the viking blood. I love that im capturing Aseraian castles for my king when im playing as vassal of Sturgia.

The early game is fantastic, the quality of life is quite high, everything is easily accessible, understandable, and the game holds you by the hand just enough for you to start off pretty nicely

Sorry, read that and had to immediately disagree. I am still learning random things from youtube videos that the game should have told us from the start.
Also the UI is a click-fest, a recent post about this highlighted it quite nicely!

Love the ambition but currently needs major improvements in these areas =\

In my game i managed to keep vlandia and khuzaits at bay playing as a sturgian, loosing only a three castles and a city. The situation stabilized with back and forts after that, but i did eventually grow tired of raganvad greed and decided to go make my own kingdom, but not after capturing and executing him. I started a new kingdom in thorios castle and aside from a couple of sturgian armies who made it that far nothing big happened between my new land and my former kingdom, and we went on a peace treaty short thereafter. I mostly fought empire factions after and started expanding in the middle. The new king of sturgia is Vidar and, surprisingly, he is doing good even on its own, recapturing lost land from kuzhait empire (maybe thanks to southern empire getting the edge in the east) and even managing to expand in vlandia and battania lands. Now i don't know if its raganvad to blame or after the initial assault sturgia can stabilize and hold ground, but i find it interesting. Now they even manage to only have 1 or 2 war at the sime time and not 4 XD.

Its because he is a poor sod.
while modding I have done some experiments with this, and it seems that factions that are low on gold declare wars more often to be able to raid villages.
this is a pretty flawed logic however as wars usually cost them more than they gain.
but anyway it is what it is atm I guess and you can give him gold to keep the peace longer.

Raganvad only declares war. He never declares peace. More specifically, everytime a faction declares peace, he immediately declares war right back.

I saw the same issue with Western Empire, so it's not faction specific. All factions probably share the same AI anyway.

Back
Top Bottom