Quite insufferable...

How much trouble have you had with hideout ambushes?

• A LOT. It is insufferable to clear a hideout when it is full when I'm unable to bring army or horse.

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Quite a bit, but I still handle somehow even though I still feel it to be quite unfair.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • A little. It is quite hard, but I have not found it impossible even against the odds.

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • 10 x 50? HA, bring it. It is still unfair... to you. Wanna call more people? I can wait.

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

So far, even among a few quirks and things that need changes or improvements, I have truly loved the game, yet, there is one aspect of the game which I can only describe as "Insufferable", which is ambushing bandit hideouts.

It is not a problem when there are like 10 or 15 bandits in a hideout that we can ONLY bring about 10 or so allies, but when there are, like, 4 groups, one with 29 Bandits, one with 15 and yet another two with 4 and 5 bandits each, totaling 53 bandits inside that hideout when my small army has about 75 members, it makes no sense that I can only bring 10 members of my army and not even bring my horse.

It makes it damn near impossible to kill every single bandit in a hideout with that "Nerf" to my character and my army, and if we lose, we are captured and lose everyone.
I can't even choose which members of my army will accompany me...

I truly believe the hideout ambush needs a lot of work as it currently is.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

deGoucan Scrolls Index

Last edited:
I agree, though I recommend that you change the thread title to describe the topic. I'm not sure if they've changed it at all yet, but I had a couple of different outcomes today after defeat- against Sea Raiders I was carried away by my allies and so I kept my army etc, which hadn't happened before (though cannot recall now if I was 'dead' or just retreated), and then later when dying with just a couple of enemies left against Desert Bandits, it let my allies carry on and win it (ended up two versus last bandit).

By the way, anyone attacking Sea Raiders should proceed with caution- the javelins are ridiculously powerful as well as pretty accurate when thrown at long range by moving enemies (I feel like that about throwing weapons in the game in general; as others have written bows barely out range them sometimes). I was in disbelief when members of my attacking force, companions in moderately good armour and upgraded troops, were dropping in one shot from the javelins. The second time around I sneaked around the corner at the start of the beach, with my men poised a little way behind ready to shoot, and I got a couple of shots in on the first enemies before they had chance to kill any of my men. Then it was a case of moving slowly up the beach, keeping them at range whenever possible, before proceeding into the caves.

Edit: Thanks Kragenn, I wondered.

i have like 180 people in my army. all good guys. i didnt save... i saw a ambush... .i dont wanna speak more :sad:
I never felt so sorry for someone regarding a game before... I felt your pain, brother.
I am only ever saved by my paranoia of saving before everything and having like 10 backup saves.

thank you brother.
I never felt so sorry for someone regarding a game before... I felt your pain, brother.
I am only ever saved by my paranoia of saving before everything and having like 10 backup saves.
thank you bruther. i was in really pain . after that i wondered maybe my soldiers can be prisoner. i went the ambush and save them all. if you loose your all armu you can go the same ambush and save them . its good trick i think so :smile:))

The main thing that bugs me is you still can't choose who goes with you. This seems like such a stupid mistake to bring over from warband. I think it would be neat if you could somehow use your skills to overcome the terrible odds; like, if you have a high enough tactics skill you could set an ambush a large portion of the bandits right outside the hide out, or if you have a high enough rougery all the bandits are asleep until you start hitting them.

I like the idea of 10 vs 20 or more since is like you cant bring your whole army into the hideout, meanwhile the enemy resides there, but what I would to see is that at least you choose which men and women will go with you.

Eight years. They had eight years to come up with something better than the awful warband bandit hideouts but they changed nothing. They couldn't even make them a dinky little wooden fort you could siege. Hell they could have given them a mildly fortified cave that you stormed with your men. Instead what we got was warband but impossible this time around.

So far, even among a few quirks and things that need changes or improvements, I have truly loved the game, yet, there is one aspect of the game which I can only describe as "Insufferable", which is ambushing bandit hideouts.

It is not a problem when there are like 10 or 15 bandits in a hideout that we can ONLY bring about 10 or so allies, but when there are, like, 4 groups, one with 29 Bandits, one with 15 and yet another two with 4 and 5 bandits each, totaling 53 bandits inside that hideout when my small army has about 75 members, it makes no sense that I can only bring 10 members of my army and not even bring my horse.

It makes it damn near impossible to kill every single bandit in a hideout with that "Nerf" to my character and my army, and if we lose, we are captured and lose everyone.
I can't even choose which members of my army will accompany me...

I truly believe the hideout ambush needs a lot of work as it currently is.
Most of the hideouts I don't have too much trouble with (they can still be extremely hard from time to time) except for the FOREST BANDITS GOD DAMN IT WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING. During my first playthrough I came across a hideout like you had described with 50+ bandits inside of it and I wanted it gone because it kept spewing out bandits that just reeked havoc on my villagers time and time again. At this stage of the game I thought it was all proportional. Like, okay, they have 50 in there maybe I should approach the camp with 100 troops instead of my usual group of 40 or so and then maybe 25 of them will get in there, thinking it would scale. So I load up from my garrison my most expensive badass troops I've been nurturing from the start of the game only to get killed nearly instantly because it was occupied by FOREST BANDITS GOD DAMN IT WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING. I got captured and I lost all of my troops and inventory because of that. And my guy still only took like 9 people in there....

Eight years. They had eight years to come up with something better than the awful warband bandit hideouts but they changed nothing. They couldn't even make them a dinky little wooden fort you could siege. Hell they could have given them a mildly fortified cave that you stormed with your men. Instead what we got was warband but impossible this time around.
Laying siege to dink forts sounds pretty cool, wish they did that

Most of the hideouts I don't have too much trouble with (they can still be extremely hard from time to time) except for the FOREST BANDITS GOD DAMN IT WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING. During my first playthrough I came across a hideout like you had described with 50+ bandits inside of it and I wanted it gone because it kept spewing out bandits that just reeked havoc on my villagers time and time again. At this stage of the game I thought it was all proportional. Like, okay, they have 50 in there maybe I should approach the camp with 100 troops instead of my usual group of 40 or so and then maybe 25 of them will get in there, thinking it would scale. So I load up from my garrison my most expensive badass troops I've been nurturing from the start of the game only to get killed nearly instantly because it was occupied by FOREST BANDITS GOD DAMN IT WHAT THE HELL WERE THEY THINKING. I got captured and I lost all of my troops and inventory because of that. And my guy still only took like 9 people in there....
That sucks, but at least you don't get captured anymore if you fail.

I've found that hideout can be done, on occasion even solo, if there weren't a final encounter. Since my character's backstory was mostly caravan and a scout, it was pretty easy for me to snipe off enemies (provided that they are not ****ing mountain machinegun arrow bandits) because they are all scattered about the map, some patrol alone, some sitting on a bench somewhere. There are the odd cases where 3-4 bandits all sit around a bonefire somewhere, and that was when I had to use my soldiers to block their path.
Problem is that my melee skill is just not enough to deal with the bandit boss in a duel, and if I got **** tier troops that final encounter can be impossible.

Hideouts become a lot easier to attack once your character is properly geared up alongside tier 3-4-5 infantry and archers/crossbowmen in your party (no recruits or low tier). However, the fact that you have to work your way up to this just to make it easier is indeed frustrating. I have hopes that the developers will at least address the issue with allowing us to pick our troops before assaulting the hideout and maybe other features as well.

Maybe as the person mentioned above, the use of our tactics or roguery skills? Setting a fire or some sort of a distraction outside the hideout? Laying siege? Allow our entire army to attack?

In Warband, there were mods such as Gekokujo that allowed you to lay siege to rebel forts and bandits, you could take them over and choose to burn or allow a regent to rule over and generate troops + income every week.

I've found that hideout can be done, on occasion even solo, if there weren't a final encounter. Since my character's backstory was mostly caravan and a scout, it was pretty easy for me to snipe off enemies (provided that they are not ****ing mountain machinegun arrow bandits) because they are all scattered about the map, some patrol alone, some sitting on a bench somewhere. There are the odd cases where 3-4 bandits all sit around a bonefire somewhere, and that was when I had to use my soldiers to block their path.
Problem is that my melee skill is just not enough to deal with the bandit boss in a duel, and if I got **** tier troops that final encounter can be impossible.
my issue with this is that I only have so many arrows. so I would have to pick them up constantly after every small engagement of which there can be MANY in hideouts. and if you miss and there are four of them they all stand up at once and pincushion you with javvies. very frustrating. and there seems to be a limit of how many bandits can be in a hideout before it becomes impossible and now they are just a permanent part of your game

The number of bandits is no longer scaled to your character like in Warband, it's based on the bandit parties that are waiting in the hideout. I'm not sure if there is a way to force some to leave, but they do venture out occasionally on their own. I once found a hideout with only 5 bandits inside (a single party) and immediately went to the leader duel without killing anyone. Once bandits get scaled back, I think it'll be less common to see +30 sitting in a hideout.

Besides the forest bandit hideouts, I don't find them too particularly difficult, although it would be much better if you could pick your allies to bring in.

Well I am using Hideout player party limit removed mod, now when I go in to a hideout I just order my men to charge and sit back and when the final boss scene happens my men form a circule around the boss and his men, poor basterd tries to get out of this sticky situation with a duel hehe, I just flick my fingers and my men chop them to pieces.

Sea raiders 1 shot me over crazy distances twice with full t5 armor and t6 body armor with a javelin. I decided to let them be after that.

Yes, I hate Forest Bandits in general. I think armour has too little effect in the game for my liking, missiles are both too accurate and too powerful, and on top of that the Forest Bandits have strong armour (at least it looks strong, I haven't checked the stats). It would be better too if we had proper stealth in the game- the enemy don't seem to notice you until you get close, but I think they become aware of you even if they are not facing you. It is, unless I'm mistaken, all about distance, which obviously is very simplistic. I don't think line of sight awareness is a thing for the AI and probably never needed to be in normal battles, but I think it would greatly enhance these special missions like hideout raids. Then you could have patrolling guards, a bit of randomistaion to where they spawn to keep you on edge and give you more chance of killing them off one by one with careful play. That would be more rewarding than desperately trying to survive the onslaught when half a dozen bandits 'see' you near the start and one shot half your team with javelins from 40 yards!

I do really like the Desert Bandit hideout though; tough but not impossible, and entertaining.

For the duel, being not great at quick melee fighting (though my pride and habit make me play on hardest settings :lol:), having a character with poor stats and it being dark...I stopped picking the duel after 3 or 4 consecutive defeats at the hand of the tutorial boss! I just say no to the duel, get my shield up and back pedal while ordering a charge from my troops. I think it would be best for this end phase of the mission to have some lighted torches to illuminate the scene; they come at you quick from a short range and obviously the boss is generally better equipped and higher level than the player, so to be able to see perfectly would be helpful I think.

Maybe as the person mentioned above, the use of our tactics or roguery skills? Setting a fire or some sort of a distraction outside the hideout? Laying siege? Allow our entire army to attack?

I think having some sort of distraction related to skills would be good, yes, and maybe laying siege too- the bandits might barricade themselves in, which you would then have to batter down, and there could be a secret exit that you have to rush to seal off once inside (perhaps it's existence would only be discovered during the assault and felled a few bandits, and one of your men would shout out 'this bandit says there is a secret exit, they're escaping!', then you'd chase retreating enemies and follow them out of the caves/narrow mountain pass).

I don't think attacking with the whole army would be appropriate though; the point of the missions is that they are something different and not about using overwhelming force to succeed, and the logic is that the approach of a large force would prompt the bandits to flee and set up a new base elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom