Pros & Cons of 1.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Zilberfrid said:
Not sure I agree, sure, the next moths wil be patches and fixes, but thereafter energy is better spent on a new engine, and thus a whole new game.
That's kind of what I meant. They should make this game the revolutionary game of all revolutionary games.

Pr0phecy said:
I remember when .960 got released, they said that that was the final version that they were gonna work on graphics and such and would start doing major work on gameplay. Apparently, the publishers made them change their mind.

Not really. He wrote a speech-type text in the .960 release thread, thanking the community for feedback, suggestions, bug reports et cetera, but didn't say anything in those lines. In .95x release thread, he did say this:

armagan said:
This is not the final version yet, but we have put in most of the features we are planning to, and after this, our job will mostly be polishing rough corners and fixing bugs and problems. To this end, I hope that you will help us, as you always do, by providing feedback, comments and bug reports. We have the basics here, but there is still a lot to do, especially in terms of long term game balance, but I am sure, together, we'll create a stable and very fun game by the time we have the final release.

Now, without further ado, I present you Mount&Blade 0.95x...

You must've mistaken Armagans revelations for future plans with some older release.

Nahkuri said:
Retextures mostly. No new types. Saddle horse is black nowadays, and charger no longer has plate armour.
Not just retextures, models are new too. Unlike the previous ones these new ones do some weird things.

mangledhorseop0.jpg

Also:

timedanze said:
does battlesize-manager work in 1.0 ???  :?:

It does, but because of some tweaks in the game, the battlesize is always bigger than what you set it in the changer. I had set my battlesize to somewhere between 150-180 in .960, and it was 200 in 1.00, although the manager still had the same number in it.

Ringwraith #5 said:
Nahkuri said:
Retextures mostly. No new types. Saddle horse is black nowadays, and charger no longer has plate armour.
Not just retextures, models are new too. Unlike the previous ones these new ones do some weird things.

mangledhorseop0.jpg

HorseFight1DM_468x388.jpg

It's actually not that strange

pros

everywhere they could fill in a little polish on .960 they did such as:

faster companion inventory screens
heraldic armor texturing fixed
rebalanced factions
new animations
new music
character dolls on inv
sieges fixed to push everyone up the ramp

so it's pretty cool. other than new animations twisting in some places, or bad clipping on a weapon on your back through armor, I'd say the biggest cons are things left untouched from .960:

you still have to get a castle to reserve any of your troops. considering how hard it is to get one (not in conquering but in getting ownership) this can mean you can't really start 'building' your character's reserves for quite a long time. fiefs suck and don't have any use to their buildables for the most part.

faction allies are still jerks - you quest/fight for them, they don't help you much (unless you become war marshal or eventually lead rebels). you're like the little lapdog running around doing crap for everyone else. it needs more ways to interact to your allies and get their help in the interim imo. especially annoying is the lack of war planning. at least let your lord make suggestions or something at some point... the sole AI leader thing works pretty terribly sometimes and it's funny to see your faction go to **** while you're grinding to get power in it.

resurrecting lords are still cheesy. it's like one of those racing games where the AI cheats and is always right behind you no matter what. I'd almost prefer they were killable or a 30% chance or 3 strikes and they're out or anything to fighting the same people over and over.

the fact that you can't negotiate anything in detail even when you capture a King is unfortunate. again the player doesn't feel like he's in a world of political intrigue and negotiations, but he's a mule who has to do the same things over and over.

the rep system. it's too grindy by far. give me some people who just give me a 50 positive to begin with because i smell nice or something.

armies still top out as fairly weak compared to the player that can wade through them like he's carrying a lightweight chainsaw. it would have been fun to see a small amount of uber armies.

but I still think it's rather fun, they just didn't have time (more years lol) to make everything have as much depth as it could. I look forward to the mods :grin:

hmm... only played some weeks in game and only been in 1 siege. But this is the good things I noticed so far.
Rhodoks seems better atleast the the high tiers + Aggressive world map AI. (Rhodok took Suno the first month). And sieges seems fixed.

I agree with almost everything bravesirknight appointed; strong subjects that should be reviewed

faction allies are still jerks - you quest/fight for them, they don't help you much (unless you become war marshal or eventually lead rebels). you're like the little lapdog running around doing crap for everyone else. it needs more ways to interact to your allies and get their help in the interim imo. especially annoying is the lack of war planning. at least let your lord make suggestions or something at some point... the sole AI leader thing works pretty terribly sometimes and it's funny to see your faction go to **** while you're grinding to get power in it.

resurrecting lords are still cheesy. it's like one of those racing games where the AI cheats and is always right behind you no matter what. I'd almost prefer they were killable or a 30% chance or 3 strikes and they're out or anything to fighting the same people over and over.

the fact that you can't negotiate anything in detail even when you capture a King is unfortunate. again the player doesn't feel like he's in a world of political intrigue and negotiations, but he's a mule who has to do the same things over and over.

the rep system. it's too grindy by far. give me some people who just give me a 50 positive to begin with because i smell nice or something.

The changes in 1.0 feel good but the problem is just that it is final, still worth buying; seems like there isn't planed steps yet after this right?

Played quite a lot last night, and noticed that I was smiling or laughing to myself while smoothly unslinging my 2 handed axe and squarely burying it into someones forehead.  This game is fun.

This game is as done as it's going to be and damn fun.  We've all played the game through it's various iterations and the overall flow of the game(free roam) has remained pretty constant so I don't know why everyone is so suprised that it isn't a Mass Effect game with 100 hours of dialogue.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going to get drunk, and savage the swadian empire!!

bravesirknight said:

True. I find the quests a bit annoying, it's strange that when you're the most powerful military leader of a faction, who holds two two towns, three castles and a number of towns and lead an army of 200 men(with a little tweaks in the scripts.txt,) and some dude wants you to scout a town, or bring food for the rest.

Well they're unconscious for a while, and after they're good to go, they don't appear with big armies immediately, but with 30-40 low tier troops... I think.

I went bananas when I saw the new lamellar armor, it is by far my favorite armor I've ever used in mount & blade, spanning every mod or native version. I actually stuck with it, despite the fact that heraldic armor is now fixed and has the appropriate colors (background is dominant on the back, ie, black lion on red gets a red back) which just about made my day. Using an 8800 GTS 512, I have noticed in big battles it is substantially poorer performance, but I attribute that to the much higher resolution apparent on armors, horses and helmets. I may have to turn things down a wee bit to get back to 200 person battles (which i've become so accustomed to, 30v30 seems almost childish.)

I look forward to whatever updates are in the future and the mod scene just about exploding with renewed interest and effort.

I also sincerely hope that sales of the game, whenever it is that they hit stores, will be beyond expectations, both rewarding the developer and the players with new features.

Nahkuri said:
Well they're unconscious for a while, and after they're good to go, they don't appear with big armies immediately, but with 30-40 low tier troops... I think.
They appear alone in a friendly settlement and only gradually raise troops.
...or they decide to go out and siege your castle. By themselves. :lol:

By the way, have they come up with a use for the honour points yet? Not heard anyone mention it for a while. Or does it already factor in negotiations with other lords during the civil wars?

Back
Top Bottom