Proposed NA ruleset to take effect Friday

Users who are viewing this thread

Ya I guess you guys are right but it is a good step in the right direction. Maybe they could use providing common examples to tell players what is a valid reason?

Nuchiha said:
warhamer said:
Austro said:
2. You require a valid reason to attack another player.

Oh thank you people so much! I just hope that once it is updated players will remember this.

Seeing PW, sadly this doesn't stand a good chance. That combined w/ people in PF who want it to be a DM, let alone a TDM. However with efficient administration/moderation it will be a good addition.

This is to make it so outlaws and natives actually rob people instead of shoot them on site. Also, with our little to no war rules, people will still experience free reign with no admin interference (unless the war is very one sided) Pretty much meaning faction cannot hide behind (reason) rules and expect admins to protect them when they are fully capable of protecting themselves.

Nuchiha said:
mR_dIlLeNgeR said:
SirKnightSK said:
mR_dIlLeNgeR said:
In regards to the rule about killing players on sight, Id say thats a bad idea because it doesn't really promote any sort of roleplay,but it does promotes deathmatching.  That's not to say that unarmed played should be totally off limits, if there's a good rp reason to kill someone whos unarmed, or armed, then they should be killed etc, but if people just KoS then that could potentially interrupt good rp/hard to make it rp some potentially interesting situations.

KoS is technically "roleplay" of the Frontier.  It will force factions (specifically the Colonials) to police their settlement.  If the US (as an example) had no sort of Police system it would be total anarchy and people would probably get KoSed.  Colonials will have to learn to control their settlement before waging wars.  In Colonial times if you left your settlement/fort their would be no one to protect you (Police, soldiers etc.) in most cases and you would have to fend off bandits/natives who wouldn't care if you were armed/enemy or not.

Well I think that the threat of bandits robbing people, and potentially killing them if they dont get what they want, is quite a threat.  Danger doesnt go away if there is no KoS rule, it just forces people to have other objectives besides killing people.  People will still be in danger when they leave their fort because if they get caught by bandits/indians/rival factions and they dont give them what they want they probably will be killed.  Im sure there will be battle type situations between factions that won't warrant a bunch of RP at the time, but I think that if certain groups of players were KoS it would stop alot of the chance there could be for interesting RP as I said before.

I didn't say or mean that the threat or danger would go away. I wasn't talking about battle situations between factions either, I was talking about outlaws killing people and looting rather than robbing. It's very prevalent on the NA server, I've only seen the Natives role play and they're killed on sight rather than when armed. Robberies are rare on my experiences on the NA server, I've only see (and have been victim of) highwaymen killing people at the logging camp outside of the Colonial Settlement. On both armed and unarmed people, with the KoS rule they have no reason to role play. Even though they can get more money by robbing people than by looting their corpses, it's not as fast.

mR_dIlLeNgeR said:
...but I think that if certain groups of players were KoS it would stop alot of the chance there could be for interesting RP as I said before.

Wait.... Are you with or against the current KoS rules? This whole time I was getting the vibe you supported them, but this makes it look like you want role-play, like I do. I support KoS during war, because it's war and back then.... There wasn't a lot of "rules" or humanity concerned in it, especially so in the colonies.

Austro said:
Rule set is updated after a staff meeting.

Will check them out.

I support KoS during battle situations and I suppose to an extent for assasanations(It would be awkward for the would be assasin to walk up and say: "I'm going to kill you") but on the whole, no, I dont support KoS rules. 

Everyone remember that Persistent Frontier is very, very experimental, there has never been a major RP mod with muskets before and there will be a lot of trial and error before we finally get everything refined and polished.

1.  Must have a valid reason to attack another player - I would say this is more against the Natives than for them... I play purely as Native, you cannot travel anywhere safely without being attacked without question... I would like to see the Native factions be considered more as a regular FACTION that can have alliances and can travel more freely around the map... Otherwise they are no different than bandits...  :???:

2. No griefing/Must wear a native skin etc. if playing as native - What if my RP character is based off the portrayal of Daniel Day Lewis(Nathaniel Bumppo AKA Hawkeye AKA Long-Rifle) from The Last of the Mohicans.  Can I get away with wearing Native clothes but have a white-man head??  :grin:

I'm all for letting outlaws kill instead of having them rob like they did in PW, but I would like to see less outlaw KOS in towns.

If I'm wearing highlander clothes how does your character know that I'm an outlaw if you don't know me?

Austro said:
Everyone remember that Persistent Frontier is very, very experimental, there has never been a major RP mod with muskets before and there will be a lot of trial and error before we finally get everything refined and polished.

What about Mount & Musket or Gabrilduro's mods? :razz:

People are already forgetting.  :sad:

Nuchiha said:
Austro said:

Correct me if I am wrong but those were never RP, Mount and Musket was a modification of normal MP to use muskets, and Gabrilduro's mods were a modification of the entire game to include muskets, and whilst I suppose technically you could RP on them it wasn't designed or focused on that.

mR_dIlLeNgeR said:
In regards to the rule about killing players on sight, Id say thats a bad idea because it doesn't really promote any sort of roleplay,but it does promotes deathmatching.  That's not to say that unarmed played should be totally off limits, if there's a good rp reason to kill someone whos unarmed, or armed, then they should be killed etc, but if people just KoS then that could potentially interrupt good rp/hard to make it rp some potentially interesting situations.
This is the type of talk that ruined PW. I advise not letting it happen to this mod.

Madfast said:
Nuchiha said:
Austro said:

Correct me if I am wrong but those were never RP, Mount and Musket was a modification of normal MP to use muskets, and Gabrilduro's mods were a modification of the entire game to include muskets, and whilst I suppose technically you could RP on them it wasn't designed or focused on that.

Missed the RP tid-bit, I apologize for that.

redhelwar said:
mR_dIlLeNgeR said:
This is the type of talk that ruined PW. I advise not letting it happen to this mod.

Wait, so you're saying the removal of KoS on PW (Which I don't ever remember existing) ruined PW? How so, especially when the mod is centered on Role-Playing, KoS rules make that hard to do. Also all of the servers having these same rules would be very rare.

Personally, I only play as Highwayman or Native, because I like the danger of being killed on sight. Just because you can be killed on sight, it doesn't mean you should avoid trying to RP, it just makes it more rewarding! I always walk around with my weapons holstered, to show that I am not an active threat. Many folks will keep their distance, but they will engage in a discussion so long as I don't draw my weapons. Sometimes, people take a shot at me right when they see me, and that is fun too, because then I can choose to attack them or make my escape. I liken this mod to zombie survival games that have become popular lately, like DayZ, where the only point is to survive for as long as you can. What else is there to do on the frontier but survive? Just like in real life, you can spend all of your time accumulating wealth, but you don't get to take it with you to the grave... so enjoy the ride, not the destination. People who complain about getting killed "for no reason" are playing the wrong mod. Life was cheap on the frontier, people made their living selling the pelts of animals and the scalps of other men... there were no rules, only Natural Law: "do what you must to survive".

In short, if you don't enjoy danger, virtual danger at least, you will have a bad time.

5arge said:
Personally, I only play as Highwayman or Native, because I like the danger of being killed on sight. Just because you can be killed on sight, it doesn't mean you should avoid trying to RP, it just makes it more rewarding! I always walk around with my weapons holstered, to show that I am not an active threat. Many folks will keep their distance, but they will engage in a discussion so long as I don't draw my weapons. Sometimes, people take a shot at me right when they see me, and that is fun too, because then I can choose to attack them or make my escape. I liken this mod to zombie survival games that have become popular lately, like DayZ, where the only point is to survive for as long as you can. What else is there to do on the frontier but survive? Just like in real life, you can spend all of your time accumulating wealth, but you don't get to take it with you to the grave... so enjoy the ride, not the destination. People who complain about getting killed "for no reason" are playing the wrong mod. Life was cheap on the frontier, people made their living selling the pelts of animals and the scalps of other men... there were no rules, only Natural Law: "do what you must to survive".

In short, if you don't enjoy danger, virtual danger at least, you will have a bad time.
That is exactly how I see it, like Dayz, and I have to try and survive. Add in hunger /death timer, and voila!

I just think its dumb that my well developed character can suddenly become non-existant just because some jerk sees me with a gun and decides to shoot me in the back of the head so he can steal a measly 200 gold off of my body, and no KoS rules doesn't mean that nobody gets killed.

mR_dIlLeNgeR said:
I just think its dumb that my well developed character can suddenly become non-existant just because some jerk sees me with a gun and decides to shoot me in the back of the head so he can steal a measly 200 gold off of my body, and no KoS rules doesn't mean that nobody gets killed.
With all due respect, this mod may not be for you in that case.

5arge said:
mR_dIlLeNgeR said:
With all due respect, this mod may not be for you in that case.

Well it seems the rules have changed as it states "Not kill anyone without a reason" so I disagree.  I don't understand why this game has to be a total deathmatch in order for it to be considered a "Survival" game or dangerous.  I'm sure it was dangerous in colonial times but I just dont think that there people being gunned down for looking like "Outlaws" when they walk into a town.  I'm not saying that it has to be fairy princesses and unicorns making love or anything like that I just think that some rules need to be in place so it doesn't turn in to a random kill fest.  I can understand an outlaw/any character being killed because of something they've done but killing them on sight seems to take something away from the gameplay.

Rigadoon said:
warhamer said:
Austro said:

Oh thank you people so much! I just hope that once it is updated players will remember this.

Pretty pointless rule if it's not defined what a "valid reason" is.

Is this just going to be ignored? Both rule one and rule two are very vague. Players and admins will inevitably argue over the interpretation of the rules everytime there is a situation. These arguments wouldn't get anywhere because both parties would be technically right due to how unspecific your rules are. Then you'll have people complaining about admin abuse.

Rigadoon said:
Rigadoon said:
warhamer said:
Austro said:

Pretty pointless rule if it's not defined what a "valid reason" is.

Is this just going to be ignored? Both rule one and rule two are very vague. Players and admins will inevitably argue over the interpretation of the rules everytime there is a situation. These arguments wouldn't get anywhere because both parties would be technically right due to how unspecific your rules are. Then you'll have people complaining about admin abuse.

Agreed, a little clarification would be nice.

Did you guys not see this part? He gave examples.

Austro said:
Some Valid Reason that can be used to attack another player:

~ Refusing to hand over gold to a robber
~ Running away from a robber after the robber has demanded gold
~ Being attacked by a player
~ Being involved in a war
~ Another player picking up loot from a player you have killed
~ Having an assassination contract
~ A player attempting to arrest you and putting you in a jail cell

5arge said:
Did you guys not see this part? He gave examples.

Austro said:
Some Valid Reason that can be used to attack another player:

~ Refusing to hand over gold to a robber
~ Running away from a robber after the robber has demanded gold
~ Being attacked by a player
~ Being involved in a war
~ Another player picking up loot from a player you have killed
~ Having an assassination contract
~ A player attempting to arrest you and putting you in a jail cell

I guess I didn't, I kept skipping to the last page, my bad.

Back
Top Bottom